Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 AM   #21
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Yeah I suppose I should rethink all of my tourism employment thoughts with the way things are going. This summer in Alaska I will be working for a tourist based hotel, I am pretty sure that this year will be busy with their reservations from the year before but I can see this being the last remotely strong year.

Might be time to go work on the Alaskan pipeline. I do have a college degree but I have given up on putting it to use any time soon. Going to enjoy this summer and then relook at where I want to live and what I want to do with my life. Might live overseas for a while or something nuts.
My sister and brother both worked overseas. My sister is currently in Scottland coaching women's lacrosse. My brother got back from an extended stay in Japan teaching english to students. If you've got a decent grasp of the language and can do a little teaching, there are a number of countries you can get year long contract positions with to teach english as a second language. Most of the people you're teaching already have a good grasp of the language, you're just brought in to sharpen their skills, make them more comfortable in conversational settings, or give them a better grasp of the language for business reasons. These companies provided you with a pretty good paycheck and a certain amount to cover housing. My I had a friend who did two contracts in China. She said the pay was pretty good and the company she worked for covered 100% of her housing costs, so the money she made was hers to do with as she wanted. I know South Korea, China, and a few South American countries are always looking for that kinda work. I'd be on that shit in a heartbeat, but I dont' have a BA/BS. Sucks, cuz I kan speel goodz and english my brains out.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #22
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
My sister and brother both worked overseas. My sister is currently in Scottland coaching women's lacrosse. My brother got back from an extended stay in Japan teaching english to students. If you've got a decent grasp of the language and can do a little teaching, there are a number of countries you can get year long contract positions with to teach english as a second language. Most of the people you're teaching already have a good grasp of the language, you're just brought in to sharpen their skills, make them more comfortable in conversational settings, or give them a better grasp of the language for business reasons. These companies provided you with a pretty good paycheck and a certain amount to cover housing. My I had a friend who did two contracts in China. She said the pay was pretty good and the company she worked for covered 100% of her housing costs, so the money she made was hers to do with as she wanted. I know South Korea, China, and a few South American countries are always looking for that kinda work. I'd be on that shit in a heartbeat, but I dont' have a BA/BS. Sucks, cuz I kan speel goodz and english my brains out.
My brother did the same thing and spent some time in Korea. I would probably want to brush up a bit on my englishzzz but I would be very interested in living overseas for a bit. Asian/Africa are at the top of that list. I would also go to New Zealand and try that out, I know some people that have lived over there and they had a freaking blast.

I have a 4 year in business administration (see bullshit).

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 AM   #23
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Where do you want to be? I'm itching for TN, NC, SC... possibly even northwestern GA... That area of the Smokys is fuckin' gorgeous, plus the quality of people seems to be solid... not to mention best fucking roads in the world... There's a myriad of other reasons like cost of living, weather, etc...
I've gotta figure that part out. I hear nice things about NC, and I have a few friends there. I've also got this bug up my ass about Minnesota recently. I have no fucking clue why, it just seems like something I feel compelled to check out. Found out after I started getting the urge to check it out that Plymouth, MN is supposedly the best place in the country to live. I've lived up in North Dakota a long time ago, so I have a vague recollection about Minnesota being nice, but fucking hell is it cold as balls. I think Florida has thinned my blood too much to tempt that kind of weather again. But in all honestly, I have no fucking clue where I'd go. I'm trying to figure out if I should go back to school and finish my degree. If I do, do I stay here and take advantage of the decent instate costs, or do I give up on this dump and finish a degree elsewhere? Or do I even bother wasting my cash on a degree that's really nothing more than a piece of paper? That kinda notion derailed my schooling in the first place, but I'm no better off now than I was then, so it's got me thinking again.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote