Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Because if it's the other person's fault it typically costs you nothing but if that other driver is uninsured, then in most places you end up having to pay your deductible.
So, my bike gets wrecked (I have replacement value ins.), it costs me 500$ for a brand new one when its two years old? If im not seriously injured, then bonus.

I guess I have a different outlook on these things than most. I've got my own problems to deal with most days, so I dont feel the need to concern myself with the actions of others who could be in far worst financial shape than I am. I know poor people. I grew up and live in a poor community. And I know sometimes people struggle to get by, and that no insurance can be a product of circumstance, of people struggling to get by, and that 200$/month is the difference between groceries and insurance, because the industry (forestry) that they've depended on for years is no longer profitable. They still need a vehicle.

I know how lucky I am to make 80k/year (with overtime) as a single man, and understand how someone making 15k/year could maybe not afford insurance when they have a family to look after.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I grew up poor too. We still abided by the law. There are far too many people around who either have money for a nice car/bike OR insurance. Buy a beater and play it legal.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

The poor folks are the ones who need it more than those who have the money to pay the medical or replacement costs if something happens.

Heres a hypothetical: A person makes 15K a year, they dont get insurance because its too expensive and they have to "take care of their family". Are they responsibly taking care of their family if they arent providing insurance in the case of an emergency?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #24
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
The poor folks are the ones who need it more than those who have the money to pay the medical or replacement costs if something happens.

Heres a hypothetical: A person makes 15K a year, they dont get insurance because its too expensive and they have to "take care of their family". Are they responsibly taking care of their family if they arent providing insurance in the case of an emergency?
No not really because what if they get hit by someone with no insurance ?

Of course the flip side is that they may be doing all that they can at the moment and just flat out can't afford it and have to have a car to get to work...doctors...blah..blah.

They "shouldn't" be having kids imho but of course things happen.

I guess they could depend on state run hospitals...which opens up another whole topic to argue.

Tough situaton for sure.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post

Of course the flip side is that they may be doing all that they can at the moment and just flat out can't afford it and have to have a car to get to work...doctors...blah..blah.

I guess they could depend on state run hospitals...which opens up another whole topic to argue.

Tough situaton for sure.
Of course theres always other ingredients to the situation, I was avoiding them for simplicity.

Like - if they can afford a car but no insurance, why not take public transportation, then it can lead to -what if there is no transportation available...should they walk? THEN- if they are walking to and from work, with no car to pay insurance, how do they get around in the event of an emergency - theyd need to get to their family fast, cant do that walking, insurance may not provide for ambulance...etc etc etc...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Of course theres always other ingredients to the situation, I was avoiding them for simplicity.

Like - if they can afford a car but no insurance, why not take public transportation, then it can lead to -what if there is no transportation available...should they walk? THEN- if they are walking to and from work, with no car to pay insurance, how do they get around in the event of an emergency - theyd need to get to their family fast, cant do that walking, insurance may not provide for ambulance...etc etc etc...
You are correct.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #27
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post

Tough situaton for sure.
They have a "right" to have kids. They have a "responsibility" to insure a vehicle, if they're using it on public roads. It's amazing how many people scream about getting their rights, who also conveniently forget about their responsibilities.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #28
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
They have a "right" to have kids. They have a "responsibility" to insure a vehicle, if they're using it on public roads. It's amazing how many people scream about getting their rights, who also conveniently forget about their responsibilities.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

A responsible person would phone the police if they knew somebody was breaking the law. Right?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Agree 100 %

I'm the opposite...no kids and we have full coverage on everything.