Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #21
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Its their fucking job, its not a business, its a taxpayer funded service. ......
Agreed...unless the state can proved neglegence or there was a specific law written to this effect, the state should eat the costs.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I have no problem with the philosophy of "You fuck up, you pay the bill." If I did dumb shit like this I'd feel differently.. but you know what, I don't do dumb shit and if I did, I'd expect to pay for it. Being a moron has it's consequences and this is the price you pay for being an ass.

Didn't you drink an entire bottle of crown royal last night? If you'd somehow fallen asleep with a cigar (i'm reaching here) and your house burned down, would you eat the cost? Or would you claim it on insurance?

Because, the amount of alcohol you consumed would cause most reasonable people to be beyond intoxicated and likely do silly things. So, if anything had happened last night, would you have paid? Or would you have let your insurance do it?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #23
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I think I will disagree with the majority on this one.

17 miles isn't all that rough for someone who is in good shape, hell I can do that before lunch. The story doesn't also say what the guy's reasons were for going on. Was the terrain behind him worse than what he was expecting? Would a shortcut have taken 5 miles off the trail? Was there possibly another trail that he was heading to?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Derf, the kid was an idiot. Everybody knows that much like crashing, getting lost is a choice.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Didn't you drink an entire bottle of crown royal last night? If you'd somehow fallen asleep with a cigar (i'm reaching here) and your house burned down, would you eat the cost? Or would you claim it on insurance?

Because, the amount of alcohol you consumed would cause most reasonable people to be beyond intoxicated and likely do silly things. So, if anything had happened last night, would you have paid? Or would you have let your insurance do it?
THe difference there is he's paying home insurance out of his own pocket to cover damage to his home. It doesn't pay the firefighters directly but his taxes do, and yes, I'm all for letting the insurance pay some to the firefighters and cost coming out of my pocket if it's negligence.

No one here pays insurance to cover search and rescue costs when they get lost in the woods...they use taxpayer money (yep, you're paying his insurance now ) that should be used to improve the parks instead of putting fuel in a helicopter and paying S&R guys to hunt for days for someone who left the trail. Years ago when someone didn't show up on time from a hike, the family and friends would go out looking for them, now we just let the govt. employee's handle it and don't think we should be resposible for the costs. Yes, more often than not the family and friends would get in more trouble searching so if they love the kid, pay someone to find him.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .

Last edited by ericr; 07-19-2009 at 10:30 AM..
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

One more time....

If the search and rescue people weren't searching and rescuing, then they would be paid for doing what exactly? Or is search and rescue somehow not in the job description?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #27
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Derf, the kid was an idiot. Everybody knows that much like crashing, getting lost is a choice.
Did you choose to ride your R6 too fast for your abilities?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #28
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Yes. As you also chose to ride too fast through town when you broke your pelvis?

And neither of us paid for any medical care, so I think they're both bad examples..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
People that commute on bicycles and motorcycles pay the same amount of taxes to fund the highway dept.
No they don't. In theory most highway taxes are levied on fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Spill your hot coffee in your lap by taking the lid off in the car...sue McD's.
I wish for once people would actually KNOW what they're talking about with this case (and lawsuits in general). Seriously. Educate yourself on it and THEN spew what you'd like about it.

I think there's probably a happy medium. Why not have a fine system that's similar to the Washington bill that didn't pass? At least it would be something.

I saw a dateline about this once and there was a guy who continually goes out and gets in bad situations to be rescued just because he can. He's at something like 15 (I don't remember the number so I could be way off) rescues that all cost a ton of money. So where do you stand on a guy like that who's doing it purposefully?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
No they don't. In theory most highway taxes are levied on fuel.

I wish for once people would actually KNOW what they're talking about with this case (and lawsuits in general). Seriously. Educate yourself on it and THEN spew what you'd like about it.

I think there's probably a happy medium. Why not have a fine system that's similar to the Washington bill that didn't pass? At least it would be something.

I saw a dateline about this once and there was a guy who continually goes out and gets in bad situations to be rescued just because he can. He's at something like 15 (I don't remember the number so I could be way off) rescues that all cost a ton of money. So where do you stand on a guy like that who's doing it purposefully?
He's an idiot, but still entitled to be rescued free of charge. They can chalk it up to practice. Seriously, with all the tens of thousands of dollars that governments wastes its now too much to ask to be rescued without getting a hefty bill? Unreal.

All those supporting these bills...are you also supporting bills for every other public service as mentioned in my previous post?
________
CUM SWALLOWING

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote