Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
At a sub-15k price point during 80's, what vehicle offered the performance of the Mustang and offered a smoother high breathing engine?(85 Gt could be had for around 10K)
This question never put a requirement on NEW cars......Thus I took the liberty of discussing used cars. Furthermore you didn't say "offered the speed of the Mustang" you said "offered the performance of the Mustang." Performance = both speed and handling last I checked.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #32
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
In stock form...yep...but not the one I had and that's part of my point about liking them...parts available everywhere...easy to modify and not expensive to play with.

He11 I've got a Dodge Neon SRT-4 toy in the garage and stock v.s. stock...it's faster than my 5.0 was...brakes better and handles better too...but yep...it's still a Neon.
an excellent candidate for the muscle car title though, ive enjoyed many heated arguments over that one
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #33
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
id really love to bring up the starion/conquest but those things were practically unmoddable due to the boneheaded choice of tbi. not sure on price either. Maybe an mr2 supercharged? I know those were solid 14s when they decided to engage the clutched blower
Starion\Conquest were awesome looking cars. I THINK they had a 5G price premium over the Mustang (unless you loaded it up to a GT conv and they were about equal price).

MR2 SC is pretty much the same case.
One of my all time favorite cars.
The MR2 SC comes pretty close but at 17K 1988 dollars it was pretty pricy.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
id really love to bring up the starion/conquest but those things were practically unmoddable due to the boneheaded choice of tbi. not sure on price either. Maybe an mr2 supercharged? I know those were solid 14s when they decided to engage the clutched blower
My dad had a Starion Turbo...I almost bought a Conquest.

The mr2 supercharged was good for upper 14's in stock form with average driver...drove one but never owned one. 200 hp I think and handled well.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #35
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The GLHS turbo came out in 86, and had the same quarter-mile time as an MGT (remember, we're only talking 14.9 here, it's not like the MGT had God-like speed)

Assuming the argument is only about speed of course
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #36
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
My dad had a Starion Turbo...I almost bought a Conquest.

The mr2 supercharged was good for upper 14's in stock form with average driver...drove one but never owned one. 200 hp I think and handled well.
dont quote me but i think it was 160s, id been looking for one for a while as a project car and had to give up. They held value far to well, cant even touch one over here under 5k. A shame really, im a turbo guy at heart but i love the whine of a roots
Old 12-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #37
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
This question never put a requirement on NEW cars......Thus I took the liberty of discussing used cars. Furthermore you didn't say "offered the speed of the Mustang" you said "offered the performance of the Mustang." Performance = both speed and handling last I checked.
Figure common sense would have applied when I posed the question what car at the same price point offered the same performance of a Mustang.

This started with your complaint of the 4.9 I thought it obvious we weren't talking handling. We're talking engine performance.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
an excellent candidate for the muscle car title though, ive enjoyed many heated arguments over that one
It's paid for and the wife likes playing around in it so we'll keep it for now.

She'd like a 370Z...amongst several other rides as well.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #39
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
The GLHS turbo came out in 86, and had the same quarter-mile time as an MGT (remember, we're only talking 14.9 here, it's not like the MGT had God-like speed)

ever see that video shelby put out at the launch? They had an omni glhs up against a tweeked to 300 hp gt350 at rome roadcourse and the omni wipes the floor with the stang. Wasnt even pretty
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #40
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:

Do you think the GLHS had a smoother engine?

Quote: