Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Torrents... I can download dozens of movies at a time when they come out on DVD, quality is great, I can watch them at my leisure, and it's free. I don't know why anyone with a broadband connection would ever pay for Netflix.
Storage my man. If I can stream it great, if not I let my fingers wander over to btjunkie and snag what I want. Worked great the other day when I decided I wanted to see mr baseball and it was dvd only.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

I actually don't have much of a problem with the video quality when streaming. There have only been a hand full of movies that I've had to stop because I couldn't stand how crappy the picture/sound was. I guess it's entirely possible that I'm not too picky about the quality either.

I watched season's 1-5 of Weeds instantly down to my 1080i TV and all 5 seasons were in HD. Sure, the quality wasn't as good as an NFL football game but it was plenty good enough for me. Unfortunately, not all of the instant selections are in HD either.

I upgraded my DSL from 1.5MB to 3.0MB and I noticed the quality of the movies from Netflix going up. The quality I get at home on 3MB is the same as I get at the office on 35MB.

Overall, I'm very happy with the service. If the kids are cranky, I can pull up netflix on the TV and find a kids movie to immediately occupy them.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #33
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider2k2 View Post
Yep. When I say I dont have time for streaming, I mean I dont have much time for TV in general. Torrents work fine for me.

For example, My GF and I like to watch Dexter. We burned through the first 4 seasons pretty quick. She couldnt wait for the 5th season to start but since it has we may have watched 1 or 2 episodes. (It may even be done by now, I dont even know.) So, 5 minutes on Vuze and I've got 2 or 3 episodes lined up in advance, ready to watch and free.
Season 5 of Dexter was done weeks ago. I PVR'd them and watched when I had time, as its about my favourite series on TV.

Truth is, if im gonna be in front of a TV, im probably gonna be playing games. I always have, and probably always will prefer it to TV.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
Apoc

Quote:
Torrents... I can download dozens of movies at a time when they come out on DVD, quality is great, I can watch them at my leisure, and it's free. I don't know why anyone with a broadband connection would ever pay for Netflix.
Cuz its 8$ a month, and gives me plenty of shows and documentaries I enjoy on demand, without the hassle of storing them. I can watch them as many times as i'd like, and its also perfectly legal.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #35
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Cuz its 8$ a month, and gives me plenty of shows and documentaries I enjoy on demand, without the hassle of storing them. I can watch them as many times as i'd like, and its also perfectly legal.
This!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
It's hard to find some of these older ones they have on netflix on torrents as well. It's much easier to use netflix for a lot of this stuff and it's worth the price.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #37
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's hard to find some of these older ones they have on netflix on torrents as well. It's much easier to use netflix for a lot of this stuff and it's worth the price.

Also true.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #38
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Storage my man. If I can stream it great, if not I let my fingers wander over to btjunkie and snag what I want. Worked great the other day when I decided I wanted to see mr baseball and it was dvd only.
I have over 1,000 movies, plenty in HD on a 1.5TB HDD that I paid $90 for...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

I have over 1,000 movies, plenty in HD, on a 1.5TB HDD that I paid $90 for... with room to go... One search, a few clicks, and I have any movie I want... There's only ONE movie I haven't been able to find on torrents (Best in Show)... I download 10-20 at a time and in a couple of days (max) they are all there... I dunno, you guys still haven't sold me.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I have over 1,000 movies, plenty in HD on a 1.5TB HDD that I paid $90 for...

I have over 1,000 movies, plenty in HD, on a 1.5TB HDD that I paid $90 for... with room to go... One search, a few clicks, and I have any movie I want... There's only ONE movie I haven't been able to find on torrents (Best in Show)... I download 10-20 at a time and in a couple of days (max) they are all there... I dunno, you guys still haven't sold me.
I hear what you're saying and I guess the "sell" for me is the "instant" part of streaming. When I want to watch something, now is the time. I don't really have the mindset to plan my TV viewing two days ahead. I also really only watch a program once or twice so I don't see a need to store anything regardless of the price. It's the same reason that I quit buying movies in general.

The question I have is why people are willing to pay upwards of $100 for cable/satellite when there are so many streaming options? Almost everything I want to watch can be found on the net. Hulu, Netflix, Boxee, VuDu, the Networks, etc it's all there. There are tons of devices for streaming, including the TVs themselves. Most are WiFi and I contend that the picture quality is at least as good as regular cable and getting better everyday imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #40
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

We were not talking about movies. Movies are stupid simple to find for the most part. We were talking about TV shows and Netflix has a very wide range of new and old shows.

1.5 TB ain't shit anymore, especially with the size of blu ray movies. Let me know when you get over 10.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote