Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
My idea of building character was making the most of a job that probably sucked. I could have probably summed that up a little better in my earlier posts...
Well fuck your character then
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Wife and I go to Applebees pretty often. We always sit at the bar. Have for years. We've become friends with the bar tenders and get excellent service. They know us by name, know what we drink and have it ready as soon as they see us walk in the door. I tip them extremely well and they take care of us the way ALL servers should take care of their customers.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Rider,

I've done both. I'd pick the military any day.

I've worked longer hours in the forces, but I've never worked as hard as I have when I did the lumberjack thing.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Rider,

I've done both. I'd pick the military any day.

I've worked longer hours in the forces, but I've never worked as hard as I have when I did the lumberjack thing.
That's why I said strong back. You don't have to have a physically demanding job to build character, you need discipline, teamwork, and a desire to do your best. You might get the from being a lumberjack though.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That's why I said strong back. You don't have to have a physically demanding job to build character, you need discipline, teamwork, and a desire to do your best. You might get the from being a lumberjack though.

You need all those things if you want to make any money as a lumberjack.

It takes all kinds of discipline to be in the woods at 5am, ready to cut, with a 20 pound saw for the next 7-8 hours, because you know after 12, the flies and heat are gonna kill you. Lazy people dont make good lumberjacks.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I waitressed at the local hotel/restaurant when I was 14. I hated it and people tipped like crap no matter how hard I worked. The 25 cent breakfast tip was very common with the regulars. Made me determined to get an education so I didn't have to waitress my whole life.I

I think a good tip for good service is due, but if service sucks we will leave a small or no tip at all. If I have coffee, I want a refill, not to sit there for 20 minutes trying to chase a server down.

I also tip more if I am demanding more, special orders, lots of coffee or pop refills etc.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

I bet this hasn't been addressed yet...

#Whatever - When a customer is CLEARLY eating, has food in their mouth, or is in other words enjoying the food - DON'T ASK QUESTIONS to which the customer will have to respond while trying to enjoy the food. "How is the food?" is ONLY acceptable if the customer is not eating, sitting without touching the food, plate or beverage, or is waving you down because something's fucked up.

I am tired of having to respond when I clearly DONT have a problem with my food. Even when I'm picky, it's obvious and I make life easy for the wait staff.
*this falls under the "dumb questions" thread too. Why WHY do they always ask when I'm in the middle of a mouthful of food? I would respond with words but I was taught manners. So instead I just sit there till I'm done. Annoying? Hmm maybe someone should have some better timing and customer service.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
I bet this hasn't been addressed yet...

#Whatever - When a customer is CLEARLY eating, has food in their mouth, or is in other words enjoying the food - DON'T ASK QUESTIONS to which the customer will have to respond while trying to enjoy the food. "How is the food?" is ONLY acceptable if the customer is not eating, sitting without touching the food, plate or beverage, or is waving you down because something's fucked up.

I am tired of having to respond when I clearly DONT have a problem with my food. Even when I'm picky, it's obvious and I make life easy for the wait staff.
*this falls under the "dumb questions" thread too. Why WHY do they always ask when I'm in the middle of a mouthful of food? I would respond with words but I was taught manners. So instead I just sit there till I'm done. Annoying? Hmm maybe someone should have some better timing and customer service.
I just give them a with a not so pleased look so they know to go away. I am good at getting people to go away.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I just give them a with a not so pleased look so they know to go away. I am good at getting people to go away.
I have to try that next time. If I am at the restaurant i am either shoving food in my mouth or talking. While I appreciate the attentiveness vs having to ask for water when my glass has been empty for a while, I rather you just be seen, catch my eye and be perceptive enough not to come over unneccesarily.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

You definitely don't.

But, being a cashier builds character, being a gas station attendant builds character, being on welfare builds character.

To what extent? You brought me my food and didn't spit in it, congratulations you're building character..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote