Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #31
goof2
AMA Supersport

I forgot, I also have a one year old Lenovo T420s for my work laptop. I like that it is pretty small, light, and quiet. Resolution has never been a problem either, mine is at 1600x900 and at the office I run it dual monitors using the laptop screen and a 24" Samsung just fine.

What is a problem is the fan died after 6 months and it wouldn't boot until IT replaced it, the battery life has been terrible from day 1 (I get an hour if I'm lucky), and it is slower than my Pentium T3400 Acer (even pre SSD) despite having a 2nd gen Core i5.

I would not recommend it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #32
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Agreed. My favorite part of NMCI? The Navy requires that all personnel, even reservists, have access to their NMCI accounts at all times. Seeing as no business or internet cafe owner in his right mind would ever allow you to load that bloated, fetid crap on one of his computers, that equates to the Navy requiring its reserve personnel to buy laptops. At their own expense.

At first I boycotted (silently). But then a friend took over as my section leader, and since the command was requiring him to require us to have it, I tried to save him some grief and loaded it. From day one till I was finally out and able to erase that crap from my hard drive, my computer did not perform properly.

I don't know how the contract for NMCI came about, but I hope some admiral or SECNAV and his friends got obscenely rich over it. That way, at least somebody would have benefitted from it...
I love how you only get like 10 megabytes worth of space in your email inbox and if you go over that amount you can no longer send or receive messages.

Google gives me gigabytes of storage for free but the multi-billion dollar NMCI government contract gives me barely enough storage to hold a large PDF file.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #33
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

For PC...

I know many people with horror stories about their HPs.

My wife's work Dell blows and has from day 2.

I have had 3 Toshiba's and they all are still in service. My dad has had a few and so has my brother. Great machines. My current one is also a Toshiba and works very well.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #34
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Toshiba. Mine is a few years old. Super light, cheap and great battery life.

I liked it so much my kids each have toshiba laptops now. Best Buy sale, both less than $400.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Fuck Dell. My first laptop was a Dell. Replaced every component in that piece of shit atleast once, sometimes more. Even so it was dead in 3 years

I've had a Sony Vaio that has been absolutely bulletproof for about 5 years now. 14.3 inch. Nothing super fast or fancy, but it gets the job done. Sony's build quality is top notch....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #36
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Google gives me gigabytes of storage for free but the multi-billion dollar NMCI government contract gives me barely enough storage to hold a large PDF file.
That's becuase of the billions alloted for this program only $100,000 was actually used in the development of the program. The rest disappeared to dimensions not yet discovered.

I forgot to mentoin my fiance has a Sony Vio or something along those lines. I hate the feel of it becuase I'm used to Toshibas but it has been a great computer for her.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Fuck Dell. My first laptop was a Dell. Replaced every component in that piece of shit atleast once, sometimes more. Even so it was dead in 3 years

I've had a Sony Vaio that has been absolutely bulletproof for about 5 years now. 14.3 inch. Nothing super fast or fancy, but it gets the job done. Sony's build quality is top notch....
Yeah build quality is another thing I'm looking for.......Can't stand ones where the plastic flexes and squeaks just because your wrists are resting on it while you're typing..............Or a screen that wobbles
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...Grmj&noreset=1
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #39
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

No complaints from me and My HP...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #40
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So apparently a lot of Toshibas have shitty touchpads that are way too sensitive?

BTW, what's with resellers who sell refurbs, and remove the Microsoft COA stickers? Is that to prevent the buyer from trying to call MS for support, and then having MS discover that this company sells tons of laptops without wiping the software first?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote