Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #31
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
These are all fantastic bits of advice, thank you.

The Sig 226 is currently at the top of my list, having handled all of the guns available at the shop. I'm headed out next week to put several rounds through a 226 and a 229 in both 9mm and 40, as well as a few of the other guns on my list.

At this point, I'm likely just going to buy the 1 pistol, go through my training classes and then look at getting another .22 plinker. Ultimately, for the home defense/carry pistol, I want to go for the largest caliber I can shoot comfortably and accurately with. (Be it 9mm, 40, or whatever). It needs to be comfortable enough to be able to take to the range often and be able to practice on a regular basis. I've always enjoyed shooting, but never had the opportunity to be able to go to the range regularly until now, and so have never purchased a gun.

The Sig seemed to fit my hand the best, though of course it's the most expensive. P226 in 40 with nightsights, 4 mags and a couple other bits was priced at 875.

The XD40 also felt nice, though a bit top heavy and didn't fit quite as well as the Sig. Nice gun though.

I handled a Ruger (something in 40, wish I could remember the model, perhaps the SR40?) and that also fit very well. It was surprisingly light (unloaded of course) so I'm curious to see what kind of recoil and shooting experience it will garner.

I also handled a few Glocks, and was not a big fan. They didn't fit my hand well, and I was having issues with the fit and finish of the gun. I know they are incredibly reliable and I plan on shooting one, but it's down there at the bottom of my list.

Marco - good call on the XD9SC. A subcompact is a little small for my hands, but am considering a compact. Initially I'm reviewing full size, but ultimately I would love to have 3: A plinker, an HD pistol, and a CC pistol. All of which should be able to be fired regularly at the range.

Revolvers are also another great alternative. You can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a revolver. I plan on reviewing several, and ultimately will go with my gut feel on what feels the best. I still lean towards a semi-auto, but would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least give them a chance.

Jeff - You read my mind. I have considered this exact same question many times. The answer is: to protect my stuff? No. To protect the well being of myself and my family (including my unborn children) Yes, without a second thought.

I'm looking forward to shooting these next week. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
That's where I think you'd like the XDSC or C because they come with a smaller mag for CC use and a larger mag w/ grip sleeve for HD use.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

The up side to 45 is that they really don't need to expand hardball 45 at 230 grains at 850 fps makes most of a half inch hole. Slow enough that over penetration is unlikely and that the energy is left in the target. I don't mean to be argumentative but in my mind it is a great home defense round. Since the OP hadn't mentioned I didn't comment bring it up. While I have no experience with Rock River, the 1911 is tried and true gun. If you can live with it limits in capacity and single action trigger cool gun great for defense. On the other hand if it is I will take it out 1x every couple of months I still say get a relolver.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

You can get double stacked 1911's.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #34
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
1911's are great guns, great for regular range duty, and iffy on defensive ammo. Mine refuses to feed hollow points. Just a no go. The Rock Island has a similar feed ramp that I'm willing to bet is just as finicky with defensive ammo, just from the nature of the design. It's a fun ass gun to shoot down range, and gave me a true appreciation for metal guns, but I wouldn't trust it with my life for home defense.
Here's my regular carry weapon, a full size Springfield Armory 1911-A1

Polished feed ramp, trigger ( set at 4-1/2lbs since it's a carry weapon ), hammer, competition sear and Pachmyr wrap around grips. It'll feed anything I run thru it and I have never had a feed problem. It's been a great gun since day one.

My friend Ray is a gunsmith and his favorite 1911-A1 manufacturer to start with is a Springfield.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #35
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

So hopefully someone can explain the main benfits/differences of the 1911 over a poly/steel pistol for me. I know the 1911's are a full metal gun with different ergos and assume there are large shooting differences but don't have a point of reference to tell how the two will react differently. I have also done some reading and have found that the majority are SA triggers, and thus there are some drawbacks/benefits to how they are carried. Mostly I'm interested in the feel difference betweent he two.

For example, a Sig P226 vs an SA 1911-A1.

I have quite a bit of shooting to do.

Last edited by Method; 07-03-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #36
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

If a gun goes bang then it works. All metal or hybrid. Both work and last. Just preference. The 1911 is just a 100 year old design that still works and last a long time.

There may be snow on the old gals head, but there's a fire burning in the basement.

The main reasons for poly is cost and weight reduction.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #37
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
So hopefully someone can explain the main benfits/differences of the 1911 over a poly/steel pistol for me. I know the 1911's are a full metal gun with different ergos and assume there are large shooting differences but don't have a point of reference to tell how the two will react differently. I have also done some reading and have found that the majority are SA triggers, and thus there are some drawbacks/benefits to how they are carried. Mostly I'm interested in the feel difference betweent he two.

For example, a Sig P226 vs an SA 1911-A1.

I have quite a bit of shooting to do.
For guys like me (those of us with some silver Highlights and voted in 1976,) the main difference is what we are accustomed to. Guys my age came up with the 1911 being the THE pistol to have. A single action trigger with out a decocking system means that your thumb is the De Cocking lever, Lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber is a skill on standard 1911. The standard capacity of 7 with one in the chamber (and truthfully if you can't finish it up with 8 45 acp rounds you need a rifle not a higher cap pistol) The trigger will only fire from a cocked position. Meaning Hammer back. leaving you the option carrying of locked and cocked sweeping the safety off as you clear the holster or carrying camber loaded hammer down and thumbing the hammer or carrying empty chamber and cocking the the slide.
The 226 is a Single / Double action trigger you can carry with the hammer down on a loaded on a loaded chamber and the first pull of the trigger is a bit heavier but it cocks the hammer and the second shot is single action and a lighter trigger pull. The trigger also engages at a lightly different point in the travel of the trigger. Capacity is 10, 15 or 20 rounds in 9mm so they lend themselves to the "spray and pray" school of shooting.
Both are great guns the trigger systems are the real difference. In today's world you will find all kind of different triggers. With some major variations available on the same gun. so look careful and try stuff.

Last edited by nhgunnut; 07-04-2011 at 07:24 AM..
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
I'm looking for a plinker for the range, likely chambered in either 22, 9mm or 25. I'm leaning towards 9mm since it can be a great home defense pistol for my wife and serve as a dual purpose as my (and hers) range plinker.
I'd go for the 9mm for plinking just because of the availability of ammo and cost.

Quote:
What I'm currently planning on shooting and looking at are:

Sig P226 and P229. I like the extra barrel length on the 226, but like the slightly smaller size option for CC with the P229.
Sprinfield XD40
Glock 40
These are all great options, IMO. It would come down to shooting and what feels best to you. Everyone is different.

I'll be interested to hear your range report and what you end up choosing.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #39
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

nhgun Thank you man, all great info. I'm technically aware of the difference between SA vs DA, (or a pistol like the sig that's DA for the first pull and SA once the hammer has been cocked by the slide for subsequent shots, or SA if you manually cock the pistol), but what I'm not familiar with is how the trigger feels differently between the two and what feels better.

Ultimately I imagine a DA only (like the glock) is going to have a longer/heavier pull potentially resulting in a less accurate shot. That's one of the benefits of a SA or DA/SA gun.

Realistically speaking, I have to shoot all of these to determine what fits me the best. Intellectually I'm leaning toward a DA/SA type pistol to remove complications from that initial shot in a true panic shot scenario.

I'm thinking a 1911 would be badass at the range however.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

I want an 1911 at least by time I'm old so I can Gran Turino someone's ass.