Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #31
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I didnt know Wet Clutches had that Issue
yes, can be caused by a misadjusted cable or some bikes have a screw and locknut at the clutch that can be incorrectly set. also some oils will cause slippage, the reason to make sure there are no friction modifiers in the oil you put in your bike.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #32
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
yes, can be caused by a misadjusted cable or some bikes have a screw and locknut at the clutch that can be incorrectly set. also some oils will cause slippage, the reason to make sure there are no friction modifiers in the oil you put in your bike.
The cables have never really been adjusted (to my knowledge unless the ex did it) and I've always used V-Twin specific oil.

What type of kit would I need to look for? I'm looking at the microfiche on my bike now as well as googling for parts. I'm kind of at a loss since I know jack shit about this. Can anyone point me in a general direction of what I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #33
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
The cables have never really been adjusted (to my knowledge unless the ex did it) and I've always used V-Twin specific oil.

What type of kit would I need to look for? I'm looking at the microfiche on my bike now as well as googling for parts. I'm kind of at a loss since I know jack shit about this. Can anyone point me in a general direction of what I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
your guy may be able to tell you the reason, I was just giving out some examples of what could cause it.

depending on how bad it is you may need steel and fiber plates, would need to look at them before ordering or just go ahead and get both to be safe to have all the parts you need. I'll let others suggest parts for it. I'm partial to using OEM parts when I can.

did he say anything about your oil when he changed it? I always look at what settles in the bottom of the pan after I empty the drain pan.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #34
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
your guy may be able to tell you the reason, I was just giving out some examples of what could cause it.

depending on how bad it is you may need steel and fiber plates, would need to look at them before ordering or just go ahead and get both to be safe to have all the parts you need. I'll let others suggest parts for it. I'm partial to using OEM parts when I can.

did he say anything about your oil when he changed it? I always look at what settles in the bottom of the pan after I empty the drain pan.
He didn't change the oil as it was still clean. Although I have plans on changing it before the rally, if I even get to go now. I usually go with whatever parts is good at the best price. I don't race. I don't ride hard. I don't need stuff with all the latest technology that drives the cost of the part up.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Myspace
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #35
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

You'll need a side cover gasket, "X" amount of clutch plates and possibly "X" amount of steel ctutch plates.

I'll get a picture of the clutch hub in my H1 triple and it'll give you an idea what to look for.

It's not brain surgery but just pay attention to where everything goes for when you put it back together. Take plenty of digital pics

BRB

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #36
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

I also have a copy of the service manual on my bike, so I have something to go by as well....

Quote:
Myspace
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #37
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

The gear on the outer clutch basket is driven by the crankshaft. When the clutch is pulled in, the fiber and steel plates do not touch. When the clutch is released, the springs press the steel and fiber plates together and make the cycle go.

The fiber plates are smooth on the inside and have tabs which fit into the main clutch housing. The steel plates are splined which fit onto the aluminum hub and smooth on the outside. The spring rings in the back fit in between the steel plates and inside the fiber plates.

If the steel plates are discolored from heat or scarred/gouged, replace them. If your fingernail catches a groove, replace them. You can check them for flatness on a piece of new house window glass ( new meaning glass from the 70s or newer. )

If they look OK, you can clean them up with 240 or 320 grit sandpaper. Clean very well before reusing them.

Here's a closer shot of the steel and fiber plates

Jeff
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #38
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I also have a copy of the service manual on my bike, so I have something to go by as well....
I'm not doubting your friend's diagnosis, but have you noticed any difference in the clutch feel, release, or acceleration of your bike? I would think you would notice the difference versus someone just taking your bike out for a spin.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #39
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
I'm not doubting your friend's diagnosis, but have you noticed any difference in the clutch feel, release, or acceleration of your bike? I would think you would notice the difference versus someone just taking your bike out for a spin.
Plus if you weigh 98 lbs and he weighs 230, it could work perfectly for you
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #40
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Plus if you weigh 98 lbs and he weighs 230, it could work perfectly for you
If it feels like it has always felt for the most part, then I'd just keep on keeping...
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote