Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #31
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I think it's a combination of luck (cause no ammount of skill is gonna save you from someone pulling out, cutting you off, or a deer in a blind corner)

and skill... to avoid those circumstances that arise where you have the opportunity to avoid them.

the ratio of Skill to Luck changes from person to person. some it's 90% luck... others 90% skill...

but I think it's always a mixture of both.
I can agree that probability can be a factor but I don't see it as a finite commodity that once exhausted, you crash...

I've had a few accidents myself, and in every case I could have avoided the circumstances or modified my behavior and not have crashed.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
So you just assumed I was speeding any everyone in the right lane was doing the speed limit and not putting along 10 MPH under. Nice.
Oh lord! Yeesh, okay it's true that I imagined that you were going faster than traffic, hence passing and that the traffic was going at least the speed limit as it often does.... Why ever would someone assume that? Are you looking for reasons to be offended or what? Were you going the exact speed limit then or were you speeding? Yes or no. Does it really matter what the other traffic was doing really? In any case, do you or don't you agree that it didn't fucking matter what type of vehicle you were operating? I've asked this question 3 times now. What does the fact you were on a bike have to do with the incident? How is that relevant? Why does that PROVE that everyone that rides a motorcycle will someday inevitably crash?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #33
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I can agree that probability can be a factor but I don't see it as a finite commodity that once exhausted, you crash...

I've had a few accidents myself, and in every case I could have avoided the circumstances or modified my behavior and not have crashed.
But with your reasoning, just riding your bike makes it your fault. If you'd have not ridden, you wouldn't have wrecked on those days.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
That's like backing a car into a pole. I consider a drop a crash. You had control of the bike and lost control of it, hence a crash.
Loading onto a trailer isn't crash though right? Also, if you're getting out of the car a bang the door into a pole, is that a crash? Just kidding, you're saying that if you are operating the vehicle and it hits something, including the ground, you have been involved in a crash. Okay, I can see that.

For the record, my insurance company does not consider that a "collision" but files it under comprehensive, so it's a good thing that you don't run my insurance company if I ever were to drop my bike.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #35
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I believe in the 2 types of riders thing.

Reason being: NOT that we are all doomed from the second we put up the kickstand. BUT that being realistic about what could happen on a bike makes it a whole lot easier to deal with when it DOES happen..

Maybe you go for 40 years without a sigle incident, but I would never want to be in a place where I think I can't crash because of skill/experience/whatever.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I got hit, 'well, shit happens' No panic, just you knew this could happen when you put up the kickstand.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #36
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Oh lord! Yeesh, okay it's true that I imagined that you were going faster than traffic, hence passing and that the traffic was going at least the speed limit as it often does.... Why ever would someone assume that?
Considering you know nothing about me, I don't know, why ever would you assume that?

Quote:
Are you looking for reasons to be offended or what?
No.

Quote:
Were you going the exact speed limit then or were you speeding? Yes or no.
Yes, I was going the speed limit.

Quote:
Does it really matter what the other traffic was doing really? In any case, do you or don't you agree that it didn't fucking matter what type of vehicle you were operating? I've asked this question 3 times now. What does the fact you were on a bike have to do with the incident? How is that relevant? Why does that PROVE that everyone that rides a motorcycle will someday inevitably crash?
I've ignored your question becuase you are comparing apples and oranges. The original question asked was about having crashed/dropped a bike, anyway. You say there's no difference what vehicle you operate. Bullshit. There's too many differences between the two - plenty of additional ways to fuck yourself up on a bike vs. a car. Cars don't lowside / highside like a bike can. Bikes don't handle running over objects in the road like a car will. Cars don't head shake. Do you honestly believe that the chances of getting into trouble are even when comparing a bike and an auto? And please point out where I stated everyone on a bike will someday inevitably crash? I said nothing more than I believe my luck will run out some day. Jeez, man....chill out.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #37
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Loading onto a trailer isn't crash though right? Also, if you're getting out of the car a bang the door into a pole, is that a crash? Just kidding, you're saying that if you are operating the vehicle and it hits something, including the ground, you have been involved in a crash. Okay, I can see that.

For the record, my insurance company does not consider that a "collision" but files it under comprehensive, so it's a good thing that you don't run my insurance company if I ever were to drop my bike.
depends on how you are loading it. If you are riding it on and go down, that's a crash. If it gets dropped while you are strapping it down or pushing it, that's different. As with the car door banging on the pole. If you are riding it and come to a stop and lose balance, that's definitely a crash which is the one I am talking about, not so much the trailer incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #38
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Wife dropped hers in the driveway so hopefully that's it for her. I got hit by a car and broke several bones so that should cover me. We're done with crashes...right ?

Yes I'm joking and now I'm hoping I didn't just jinx the two of us.

Oh yeah...I crashed two other times through the years too.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
But with your reasoning, just riding your bike makes it your fault. If you'd have not ridden, you wouldn't have wrecked on those days.
Oh no you don't! I said that I could have avoided the circumstances which means riding my bike, at that time, in that location, in the reckless manner I was riding. If I had modified those factors, I could have avoided my crashes. I'm not saying "avoid riding period".

Examples;

1. 1998 deer crash
a. I was riding at dusk
b. doing 80+ in a 45
c. out in the country

2. 2001 rear ended on the way to Blessing of the bikes
a. was leading a large pack of sport bikes
b. doing well over 100 mph
c. passing a large group of slower moving Harleys
d. went back over to the right without checking mirror and nitwit was passing me on one wheel.

3. 2007 high side
a. was doped up on pain killers
b. low temperature
c. didn't let my tires warm up properly
d. caught a manhole cover in a corner that I didn't notice

I could go on but my point is I could have avoided all of these accidents with better judgment/behavior.

You go out riding and a meteor hits you-unavoidable.

You go riding after being told there's a meteor shower coming and you are hit by one-judgment and completely avoidable.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

IDK, my personal opinion is that yes I have laid the bike down but that I have not crashed it. Some might think them the same I do not and that's ok...it's all good...
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote