Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #31
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
"HIDs require 6 amps of current in an instantaneous draw"
I have the same model as you and just proved that this is a lie. I need a better meter to find out what the max is, I blew the fuse in my ammeter because it can only tolerate a 10A max trying to fire the ballast, which never fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You know most sportbikes use the same batteries from Yuasa right? You're argument about gilles is now completely gone to shit and yet you consider arguing about another topic which you have a complete lack of knowledge. Basically if you want to be like tigger and spend a fortunate on shit and not worry about the cost vs quality. Than do what you want. If you plan on keeping your bike more than a year, it would be beneficial to you to protect your battery and bulb.
Aw really Nicky? So if your BMW breaks down then Fman was right and they are pieces of shit/pussy bikes? I don't agree that all sport bikes use the same battery either... some are way better/bigger than others. Hey didn't I say that you were right? Didn't I concede that you have more technical knowledge than I do? Didn't I say that I wuvums you Nicky-poos!!!!

Besides, The more I look at the Gilles situation, the more I have to concede that it's mostly my bad.... I let my new chain get too loose, I am the one that runs a "loose" axle, I am the one that jumped that speed bump and to be honest has a tendency to jump rail road tracks, speed bumps, curbs, etc... If I were riding the bike "normally" I doubt that any of this would have happened and the reality is, it's a $2 bolt, not some main part of the system manufactured by Gilles. I don't really want to absolve Gilles but to not acknowledge my portion of the blame would be unfair.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Hey I really want to see a test too.... I think that would be cool and interesting! I totally admit that I don't know everything on this subject, I only know that my experience has been good. Oh and that my battery has almost 250 amps, so I still don't see what the big deal is about 15 and also when my bright light is on, both lights are lit. How many amps is that with the stock bulbs...with Osram 3200 lumen Xtras...continuous draw.... Oh and that I've never taken the battery out, even in Winter back in Michigan. Or charged it...

I know that I shouldn't pick with you but I know guys on three other forums that have HIDs without any problems... Oh and that my kit came with a relay and everything to hook them up to the battery, hopefully when racer was making his "mods", he didn't throw that stuff away! Oh btw one of the guys on Squidnation says that DDM hooked him up with a bulb even though his went bad because he had a crack in the housing and water was getting on it. Anywho, let's see that test with German made ballasts from DDM btw no fair sneaking in old, crappy Chinese ballasts off Ebay!!! Hey if I just put an amp meter at the battery and turn on just the head lights, won't that give you an idea? Have I mentioned how much I love you sweetie?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Aw really Nicky? So if your BMW breaks down then Fman was right and they are pieces of shit/pussy bikes? I don't agree that all sport bikes use the same battery either... some are way better/bigger than others. Hey didn't I say that you were right? Didn't I concede that you have more technical knowledge than I do? Didn't I say that I wuvums you Nicky-poos!!!!
They pretty much all use Yuasa batteries, they have different models based on the needs of the bike.

I don't suggest you put an ammeter at your battery unless you have a heavy duty meter that can take the sort of amperage the battery will generate. We are talking 85 Amps or so at start. Your standard ammeter is going to be fused around 10A that you buy at sears/wally world and such. 1 Amp can kill you. I don't suggest anyone mess with your electrical system unless you know what you are doing. Too easy to damage and get yourself hurt.

Your CCA max is just that a max. It's not something you want to get near. Most standard import motos are around 75A-85A start and anything much above that is considered abnormal and you probably need to start investigating where the amperage is going.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 10-05-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #35
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I hate messing with electric.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
They pretty much all use Yuasa batteries, they have different models based on the needs of the bike.

I don't suggest you put an ammeter at your battery unless you have a heavy duty meter that can take the sort of amperage the battery will generate. We are talking 85 Amps or so at start. Your standard ammeter is going to be fused around 10A that you buy at sears/wally world and such. 1 Amp can kill you. I don't suggest anyone mess with your electrical system unless you know what you are doing. Too easy to damage and get yourself hurt.

Your CCA max is just that a max. It's not something you want to get near. Most standard import motos are around 75A-85A start and anything much above that is considered abnormal and you probably need to start investigating where the amperage is going.
Oh I see that, I was just saying that my battery is 250 CCA amps which would cover the 15 amps it takes to fire the HIDs up, right? The headlights are fused at 20 or 30 amps... Again Nick, I certainly concede your greater knowledge on the subject but I admit to having a hard time understanding why a 15 amp draw is that big a deal... I used to have a cigarette lighter in my trunk, hooked to the battery when I smoked, I've had 100W bulbs on bikes with dual headlights before... You know what, I can say that I have never replaced a motorcycle battery in my life!!! I bull shit you not, on my Mother's grave. I guess I'll see, I'm at 3 years and a lot of miles with zero battery issues....
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #37
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Nick, I certainly concede your greater knowledge on the subject but I admit to having a hard time understanding why a 15 amp draw is that big a deal...
I agree - I don't understand how the battery life would be impacted either (not that it isn't, I just don't see why it would be).
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #38
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I agree - I don't understand how the battery life would be impacted either (not that it isn't, I just don't see why it would be).
We need an accurate estimate of what the actual starting current of HIDs really is, sorry I don't trust a chinese importer. Their technical knowledge will be severely limited as it is usually just some chair jockey that knows nothing of the the product beyond install and warranty claims. The chinese factory would be the source of knowledge and those bastards are even less reliable because all they want to do is sell sell sell. I want to get a better meter on mine to see what the actual value is of the firing current. 10 extra amps twice on a battery will shorten it's life. If your starting current is around 85 amps, you are going to be putting more than 10% extra burden twice during a start. The max CCA is a max value where the battery will breakdown in one shot if you exceed it. The regular CCA for the battery to recover and maintain it's health will be much lower. Increasing the demand on the battery will shorten it's life.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #39
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Oh and that my kit came with a relay and everything to hook them up to the battery, hopefully when racer was making his "mods", he didn't throw that stuff away!:
this is what came in the box.

there is nothing there to wire it to the battery, i wish there were. they charge $20 for the wiring harness which i bought w/ my car. and i also got a wiring harness 3-4yrs ago when i ordered/installed a set from xenondepot.com ($3-400 back then)

ddms wiring harness

"This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 40A at 12vdc."

trip, so it really pulled over 10amps........wow. now i'm considering an harness and relay........lol seriously i am.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 10-05-2009 at 09:46 PM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #40
Trip
Hold mah beer!

That's the exact same kit I have. Nope, it didn't come with the relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
trip so it really pulled over 10amps........wow. now i'm considering an harness and relay........lol seriously i am.
pulled over that, smoked up the fuse quick.

I wouldn't recommend this to car owners or people with bikes made for lots of electrical add ons. I do it for sportbikes/ e start dirt/dual sport bikes due to the smaller batteries (but you have a Busa, so you probably have a lot better battery than the race bikes because you are pretty much a sport tourer and they may have put in a decent battery to take some abuse from extra electrical hooked up to it.)

It's also dependent on how long you keep bikes, if you only keep a bike 0-2 years, fuck the battery, thats the next persons problem. If you are going to keep the bike awhile, it's good cheap insurance to keep a healthy battery.
Quote: