Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
LOL so a History Channel show backs it up? That really builds my confidence.

And what makes you think I didn't read it? I read it when I was a teenager and much more gullible, lol.
not just the history channel, but lots of new findings and other publications is the point, and why it is current again.

it appeared from your context and knowledge about the reasoning you have no idea what the book was about.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
not really
I used that equation to find out how many women there were in my county that Id likely be interested in dating, only about 600... This place sucks.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #33
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Which is a useless equation filled with unknowns that can only be based on ourselves.

I also agree with the wiki article, if you multiply a bunch of shit together, it will look like a favorable number.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Which is a useless equation filled with unknowns that can only be based on ourselves.

I also agree with the wiki article, if you multiply a bunch of shit together, it will look like a favorable number.
yes and no.

obviously if we had the ability to fill in the variables, we would know the answer, wouldn't we.

Quote:
One reply to such criticisms is that even though the Drake equation currently involves speculation about unmeasured parameters, it was not meant to be science, but intended as a way to stimulate dialog on these topics. Then the focus becomes how to proceed experimentally. Indeed, Drake originally formulated the equation merely as an agenda for discussion at the Green Bank conference
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Extremely unlikely that we are the only intelligent life. We are definitely not the most advanced considering the relative ages of the different galaxies...we are babies by comparison. I've often postulated that as life forms evolve they actually take on "godlike" tendencies... consider, if one of us were to go back in time 100,000 years or whatever. We would seem quite godlike to the people there. I believe that it is possible to evolve into an almost pure conscious state and be able to directly affect matter and energy through force of will alone. Which would make you a "God" by our current sensibilities. Perhaps "Gods" are merely hyper-evolved beings that have migrated outward from the center of the universe since the big bang that help catalyze the formation of life/intelligent life in other galaxies like seeds floating down from a tree. Perhaps "we" might even be the "God's" new life cycle and in each of us is a minute piece of his consciousness/memories.

As far as how some ancient monument was built...they didn't have OSHA! j/k. It's called time and labor people. Mystery solved. Seriously, men have tunneled through concrete to escape from prison using a spoon. You put enough man hours/lives and time into a project and you can do anything. It took decades/lifetimes to build a pyramid. Oh and I can make a perfect square using a piece of string with 2 knots tied in it, big deal. The "general contractor" walked around with a bundle of cords that had all the measurements preset onto them. Ever heard the phrase, "measure twice, cut once"? How about "measure 1,000 times and cut slowly"...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #36
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Intelligent design doesn't have to even be a God. It could be some gigantic scientist that has us in his petri dish.
Ahhh... the Men in Black theory...

Quote:
yes and no.

obviously if we had the ability to fill in the variables, we would know the answer, wouldn't we.
Useless.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #37
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
yes and no.

Well since we are already discussing it, we didn't need it to stimulate the discussion. It even states in that quote you posted, it's not scientific.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #38
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
LOL so a History Channel show backs it up? That really builds my confidence.

And what makes you think I didn't read it? I read it when I was a teenager and much more gullible, lol.
I know right? Some other like minded goobers go out and "prove" his hypothesis... totally accurate! I've seen that show and to say that some of those "experts" are nut jobs would be an understatement.

He doesn't think you read it because you don't agree with him and aren't in a similar state of shock and awe....
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Intelligent design doesn't have to even be a God. It could be some gigantic scientist that has us in his petri dish.
Who would be God from our perspective...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #40
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
As far as how some ancient monument was built...they didn't have OSHA! j/k. It's called time and labor people. Mystery solved. Seriously, men have tunneled through concrete to escape from prison using a spoon. You put enough man hours/lives and time into a project and you can do anything. It took decades/lifetimes to build a pyramid. Oh and I can make a perfect square using a piece of string with 2 knots tied in it, big deal. The "general contractor" walked around with a bundle of cords that had all the measurements preset onto them. Ever heard the phrase, "measure twice, cut once"? How about "measure 1,000 times and cut slowly"...
I don't care if it was measure 1000x/cut slowly. It's still pretty damn impressive and our world took back steps from that type of quality before we moved forward. It's just impressive engineering without modern equipment.