Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
One criticism:

Good luck funding a decent retirement with that.
This is Europe we are talking about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #32
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Good article, agreed with 70-80% of it.
Nobody is going to lie on their death-bed going "I wish I had bought a 60-inch TV instead of a 32-inch..."
No, but I think that most times I lie on my couch.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
This is Europe we are talking about....
He's a Euro citizen? Fair enough, I assumed he was an American.

But another critique:

Good luck doing that after age 35 or so. It's pretty easy to be a travelling bum when you're in your 20's, since you've got a support network of other travelling bums, English teachers, and even locals your age who will hang out with you and give you a place to crash.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-14-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #34
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I love arguing with hippy professors about their do nothing lifestyles that contribute nothing to society.

The "I'm better than you because I have an open mind to be a lazy faggot" mentality is hilarious. I've lived around the world AND worked my ass off while doing it and contributed to something atleast.

If you want to pay for me to travel the world, smoke weed, and learn languages I'll take you up on it. Until that point I'm going to continue earning a living and enjoying myself
You're coming across with a much bigger "I'm better than you" complex than the author while simultaneously sounding like a mental midget. Congrats, strong work. What have you created in your time that has changed the face of society? Did you invent the space shuttle, the internet, cure a disease, or win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Fact is, less than 1% of the world's population has the ability to contribute the society altering benefits for which you are trying to hold him accountable. You are not one of them.

The acid test: If you were dropped on a wooded, deserted island with nothing but a hatchet and some stone tools, how long until you post another stupid comment on TWF?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #35
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
You're coming across with a much bigger "I'm better than you" complex than the author while simultaneously sounding like a mental midget. Congrats, strong work. What have you created in your time that has changed the face of society? Did you invent the space shuttle, the internet, cure a disease, or win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Fact is, less than 1% of the world's population has the ability to contribute the society altering benefits for which you are trying to hold him accountable. You are not one of them.

The acid test: If you were dropped on a wooded, deserted island with nothing but a hatchet and some stone tools, how long until you post another stupid comment on TWF?
I think many of us do make more of a contribution to society be it direct or indirect. We may not be THE guy who re invents the wheel or something like that.

I will use the ER as an example as ateam were savig live and/or fixing things to give aperson a better quality of life. That way this person can still do thier thing, provide for their familes and so on. And you can go down the line from the probviders/nurses all the way to the guys who sweep the floors, theyre all doing a part that helps in the bigger picture.

Even this guys blogging may open peoples eyes to do or change their lives or look at things in adifferent light.

hell all th ebanter here is helping me kill time at work and thats a good thing too
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #36
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post

Damn I didn't mean to offend your Messiah
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #37
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
He's a Euro citizen? Fair enough, I assumed he was an American.

But another critique:

Good luck doing that after age 35 or so. It's pretty easy to be a travelling bum when you're in your 20's, since you've got a support network of other travelling bums, English teachers, and even locals your age who will hang out with you and give you a place to crash.
I have a friend who has been doing this for as long as I've known him. His stay in the US was the longest (3-4 years?)he'd ever been anywhere in his adult life.
Hes in his late 30's.
He seems satisfied enough.
Travel is cheap over there.
Plenty of places to stay...always some sort of work to make some cash.
He doesn't come from money yet he has this nomadic lifestyle (while still going on cruises, ski vacations..visiting friends in various countries) that he can still get along comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #38
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:

JC
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I think many of us do make more of a contribution to society be it direct or indirect. We may not be THE guy who re invents the wheel or something like that.

I will use the ER as an example as ateam were savig live and/or fixing things to give aperson a better quality of life. That way this person can still do thier thing, provide for their familes and so on. And you can go down the line from the probviders/nurses all the way to the guys who sweep the floors, theyre all doing a part that helps in the bigger picture.

Even this guys blogging may open peoples eyes to do or change their lives or look at things in adifferent light.

hell all th ebanter here is helping me kill time at work and thats a good thing too
Oh, that's not lost on me and I don't disagree at all.

However, I do not believe the author is somehow wasting his life or living a life of less meaning than Lord tallywacker.

Quote:
Zing! Now back to your daily self-worship.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #40
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

JC
Not you, his new nomadic one