Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #31
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
agreed, the black widow II was one of the sexiest planes ever to roll out of northrop. and unfortunately followed in their tradition of getting screwed on contracts. ol' jack never did make friends in washington

I was a fan of the original Black Widow, myself
Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #32
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Cheney, under Bush Sr killed the Tomcat(or to be more specific the Tomcat upgrade program) back in the 80's in favor of the SuperHornet. It took awhile for the Superhornet to come online and the F-14 to be phased out. The Superhornet is not a direct replacement of the F-14 because they have different mission profiles.
There has NEVER been any serious consideration for a navalized FA\22.

The FA18 will be replaced by the F-35.

The FA\22 will be replacing the F-15c(air superiority). The F-15E will live on.

In summary the FA\22 will replace the worn out c models of the F-15. It is unlikely that they will replace the F-15E. That bird will fly for many more years and be enhanced by armed RPV and drones.

It's likely mission for the next 25 years is to fly exercises and maybe a cap over an piece of dirt where lower end aircraft did all the dirty work.

By the time it actually sees use justifying the cost it will likely be against a superior aircraft flown by poorly trained pilots.
Enhanced/supplemented is right. It's funny how each new concept is sold as replacing so many other less expensive, but proven effective programs. The F-35/JSF is actually behind a few of the fighters listed technologically. It's nozzle only rotates down, where at least one of the Russian fighters have true thrust vectoring in any direction.

As for "poorly trained pilots," you never know. A lot of foreign nationals are here, in US colleges and flight schools. China, India, and Japan all have working space programs. If/When our shuttle fleet is decommissioned, one of them could take over the lead in space flight. Japan could easily kick ass in space and most other circles if they had the material resources and physical room. They certainly have the capital and brain power. The others would have to get their shit together first.

Quote:
It will only replace a % of the F-15 fleet...bout time considered the airframes on the C models have been worn out for years.

F-14 has already been replaced by the SuperHornet (kinda...) F-16 and F-117 are being replaced by the F-35 (and armed drones).
UCAVs aren't the be-all end-all either. If you want a worst-case, cheasy sci-fi take, watch Stealth. Jessica Beal
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #33
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
agreed, the black widow II was one of the sexiest planes ever to roll out of northrop. and unfortunately followed in their tradition of getting screwed on contracts. ol' jack never did make friends in washington
<~~~~ works for N.G.

Great company actually. They've got so many other successes too, like the Predators and my personal favorite, the Global Hawk. Their shipbuilding stuff is awesome too. They're doing the George H.W. Bush and the latest batch of Virginia Class attack subs.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #34
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
E.... The F-35/JSF is actually behind a few of the fighters listed technologically. It's nozzle only rotates down, where at least one of the Russian fighters have true thrust vectoring in any direction.

.... If/When our shuttle fleet is decommissioned, one of them could take over the lead in space flight. Japan could easily kick ass in space and most other circles if they had the material resources and physical room. They certainly have the capital and brain power. The others would have to get their shit together first.

UCAVs aren't the be-all end-all either. If you want a worst-case, cheasy sci-fi take, watch Stealth. Jessica Beal
IIRC the SU-47 and the Mig29OVT (I think redesignated MIG-35) were the only ones w/ pitch and yaw T/V... their not in full production yet either I think. I think it'd be interesting to see a Raptor up against one of those two.... I personally was a fan of the X-31.... that would have made a SWEEEEET light attack interceptor.

and when our shuttle fleet is decomissioned, they will take us over. It'll be a several year gap between the shuttle being mothballed and this new Ares bullshit (I'm calling bullshit, it's like we're taking a step back).

I agree, UCAV's aren't the end-all be all.... But they're definitely here to stay. Their ability to loiter over an area to provide watch/support is hard to match and much more economical than a dedicated satellite. Wish they would have continued w/ the X-45 Bird of Prey project.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Enhanced/supplemented is right. It's funny how each new concept is sold as replacing so many other less expensive, but proven effective programs. The F-35/JSF is actually behind a few of the fighters listed technologically. It's nozzle only rotates down, where at least one of the Russian fighters have true thrust vectoring in any direction.
Huh?
the only F-35 model that has "thrust vectoring" is the B model, the vtol variant that the brits and Marines want. Thats only for takeoff and landing.
Standard F-35A and c do not have thrust vectoring.

I'm guess you are talking about the F22 when it comes to Vectoring.
Doesn't need it (3d as opposed to 2d), not worth the cost.

Certain Variants of the Mig29 and Su27 family have it.
Su27 with combat load ain't doing much of anything...vectored thrust or not.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #36
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
I was a fan of the original Black Widow, myself
wierd looking sucker, but then again most of the early radar carriers were.

Quote:

As for "poorly trained pilots," you never know. A lot of foreign nationals are here, in US colleges and flight schools. China, India, and Japan all have working space programs. If/When our shuttle fleet is decommissioned, one of them could take over the lead in space flight. Japan could easily kick ass in space and most other circles if they had the material resources and physical room. They certainly have the capital and brain power. The others would have to get their shit together first.

you are talking about the marine B varient. which does not have thrust vectoring except for vertical landings and take offs. actually a copy of the lift system designed by yakovlev and used on their 38 forger, and the 141 freestyle

Quote:
Huh?
the only F-35 model that has "thrust vectoring" is the B model, the vtol variant that the brits and Marines want. Thats only for takeoff and landing.
Standard F-35A and c do not have thrust vectoring.

I'm guess you are talking about the F22 when it comes to Vectoring.
Doesn't need it (3d as opposed to 2d), not worth the cost.

Certain Variants of the Mig29 and Su27 family have it.
Su27 with combat load ain't doing much of anything...vectored thrust or not.
22s have 2d. the big question is whether the 22s nozzles have all the capabilities of the F15 S/MTD. or more specifically are they capable of in flight thrust reversal.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I'll take this with a side of Jessica Biel!
Leaves on your canopy and 30 mike mike up someones arse!
Semper Fi, Carry on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3125582675_b67040e2f0_o.jpg (195.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg superiorfirepowerwa8.jpg (83.6 KB, 41 views)

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #38
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

luv the A-10
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I'll take this with a side of Jessica Biel!
Leaves on your canopy and 30 mike mike up someones arse!
Semper Fi, Carry on!
One of the best purchases\values ever....

Always love it when some jerkoff talks of mothballin em and replacing them with (insert hot light fighter of the day)

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #40
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
One of the best purchases\values ever....

Always love it when some jerkoff talks of mothballin em and replacing them with (insert hot light fighter of the day)
like the f35 def agree though. Hell i think we still ought to have coin aircraft. Some ov10s would have been extremely usefull in iraq compared to the never gonna get it f16 support
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote