Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Today's kids mostly just sit around IM'ing and txt'ing each other...........

When they aren't surfing the net or playing video games, that is.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Wildchild,

Now, are you saying the school actually tried to force you to put your kids on drugs? Man that shit is crazy. I saw a kid the other day (an acquantance of mine) who's pupils were more blown than any pothead I've ever met. I asked him why his kid was so high (the poor lad couldn't even respond to questions), he told me "he has ADD)

Wow.
yep the way it works here if they recommend it through the state you're screwed. You either put him on the drugs or they get you with neglect etc. kid is not allowed back in school until he is properly zombied. It is mind boggling to see how many kids they have on that crap here. all so the school can get more funds and the teacher has a more pleasant day. what could be easier then standing in front of a bunch of strung out zombies who have very little coherent thought of their own. (yes that's an over dramatization)
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Remember the days when it was considered awesome to hold the record for most pull ups, or push ups, or be the fastest runner on the playground?

THATS what kids are missing!
my son holds the record still in his old junior high for push ups and the 1 mile run.
his name is on the wall in his elem school as well.
unfortunately he didn't make his goal in high school but he tried.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Today's kids mostly just sit around IM'ing and txt'ing each other...........

When they aren't surfing the net or playing video games, that is.
God forbid they actualy do anything in person they will all sit at home texting each other, how bout leaving the damn house and doing something.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #35
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
ok allow me to jump in with the devil's advocate outlook. if other peoples kids are fat and yours arent, your kids have that much better opportunitys for popularity, success, future mates, etc. fat little shits might even have heart attacks before they hit social security age
dave don't take this personal, ( i know it sounds that way) that sounds like the voice of someone with no kids.

actually what happens is your child has to walk slower for the others
your child has to eat with them for as long as they want to eat lunch. everyone goes out at the same time
your child gets picked last for a team because it's not polite to pick the fat kid last
your child later gets passed over for a job because the fat kid will sue if he's "discriminated" against for his appearance. (wish I was kidding)
your child has to play games in PE (if they have it) that accomodate those who are "slower and less agile" (otherwise known as fat).
why correct the problem when it's much easier to appease the chubbies
Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #36
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You got it right. It's the lack of physical activity. People need to "unplug" their kids and get their ass outside. The amount of sugar that are in foods today doesn't help either. I read an article a while back that said Americans eat 5 times as much sugar(carbohydrate of any kind) as they did in the early 1900's.
That's a lot of damn sugar.
And then there's my kids.
My 15 year old daughter: Plays soccer 4 days a week (2+ hours each time), runs 3-5 miles 7 days a week, eats healthy with occasional (once/twice a week) treats.
My 13 year old son: Plays baseball 6 days a week, rides his bike sometimes with friends, goofs on his skateboard, eats healthy with occasional (once/twice a week) treats.

I don't allow snacks in my house - I fix 90% of my meals at home - no gravies, lean meat, very few carbs, lots of salads and veggies. Fast food once a month max.

They're allowed to watch a movie with us ONCE in awhile - like maybe 2 movies a month. Other than that - no TV. They use the computer for homework, no internet access. They don't own or play video games.
Yes - I'm a mean mom. I'm fine with that.

One child is 'short' compared to peers and probably 50 pounds overweight. One is "average" compared to peers and probably 20 pounds UNDERweight.
The overweight child just ran a 5K in February and finished in under 24 minutes. The underweight child ran about 1 minute slower. They're both very physically fit. But with diametrically opposed bodies.

Given that all of the above is absolutely true - can you determine which child is overweight and which is under?

Genetics DO play a part.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #37
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Laura,
The thread isn't about kids who are simply overweight, its about obese kids that couldn't play 10 minutes of soccer out in the sun if their life depended on it.

NFL lineman are "overweight" too but those guys can easily outrun my skinny ass. People have different body types, I've got no problem with that. I'm referring to the growing portion of really obese kids that you can take one look at and realize they haven't run more than 10 feet in the last year.
________
Herb vaporizers

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #38
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Laura,
The thread isn't about kids who are simply overweight, its about obese kids that couldn't play 10 minutes of soccer out in the sun if their life depended on it.

NFL lineman are "overweight" too but those guys can easily outrun my skinny ass. People have different body types, I've got no problem with that. I'm referring to the growing portion of really obese kids that you can take one look at and realize they haven't run more than 10 feet in the last year.
And run over, I tried being one of those guys but it didnt pan out you have ot be nice to us big luvable animals otherwise me and curb will make ya into snake food

Sadly alot of those guys do develop health problems after they retire unless they take the weight off.

Tom
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
dave don't take this personal, ( i know it sounds that way) that sounds like the voice of someone with no kids.

your child has to eat with them for as long as they want to eat lunch. everyone goes out at the same time
your child gets picked last for a team because it's not polite to pick the fat kid last
your child later gets passed over for a job because the fat kid will sue if he's "discriminated" against for his appearance. (wish I was kidding)
your child has to play games in PE (if they have it) that accomodate those who are "slower and less agile" (otherwise known as fat).
no worries. I think both our views went to the extreme side of the scale and im sure yours is based on true life experiences as mine were (i was actually trying to bring some levity to the thread but ill stand behind parts of it and i expect kids to self regulate at least up to highschool)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post

But at least later in life they wont be at the doctors all the time getting all their health problems treated due to their obeesity

Tom