Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #41
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I'm not going to stop riding for 2 years to test that, but I will say if it takes 2 YEARS for my hearing to return to normal, something's fuckin' damaged.

How do you know your hearing's the same? Have you had it tested 9 years ago and today to verify results across all hearable frequencies? Or do you just mean you don't notice a change in your hearing?

Where's a study that has shown earplugs do nothing? I'd like to read that.
I'm with this guy.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #42
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
I'm not going to stop riding for 2 years to test that, but I will say if it takes 2 YEARS for my hearing to return to normal, something's fuckin' damaged.

How do you know your hearing's the same? Have you had it tested 9 years ago and today to verify results across all hearable frequencies? Or do you just mean you don't notice a change in your hearing?

Where's a study that has shown earplugs do nothing? I'd like to read that.
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #43
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You might want to find a different article. This one goes against everything you're saying... as I'm sure most articles will.
Quote:
NIHL is 100 percent preventable. All individuals should understand the hazards of noise and how to practice good hearing health in everyday life. To protect your hearing:

Know which noises can cause damage (those at or above 85 decibels).

Wear earplugs or other hearing protective devices when involved in a loud activity (special earplugs and earmuffs are available at hardware and sporting goods stores).
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #44
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
You might want to find a different article. This one goes against everything you're saying... as I'm sure most articles will.
LOL..I know I got owned. lolol....over 85, then they say over 120db. Not sure which one.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #45
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

You don't want to listen to anything over 80db for an extended amout of time. Basically if you must shout to talk to the person standing next to you... its too loud.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

i wore them a couple of times and i felt like i couldnt' hear my engine so i stopped. If its true that after a while you don't hear the wind but the engine better, then i'll give it a try again.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #47
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I just pickd up a pair of custom plugs at the Motorcycle Show. They did them right there. Was with my parents and they had a show deal, but because we bought 3 we got an even bigger deal. $80 each.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I wore a different set of plugs yesterday....blue Hear-O's I wear when I drum. I had to stop and change ear plugs. They blocked too much noise. The bike sounded totally different. I didn't like it. Back to the orangies.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #49
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

The thing I like about the custom ear plugs is because they are flush with your ear so when you pull your helmet on they don't fall out like the foam ones do for me.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #50
was92v
Nowhere Man

I don't wear ear plugs much and probably should. My hearing is damaged, although I don't know how much is directly from motorcycles. When I add the affects of race cars, rock music, jumping into a dirty swimming pool (That really hurt for about 3 days), 3 years of Drag racing a 2-stroke with 6in stingers, 5 years of road racing 2 & 4 strokes and 40 years of riding motorcycles in general, Oh and that summer night in 1975 five rows from the stage at a Kiss concert (Awesome!!), machinery and guns, I say "Huh?" way too often.

I'm sure it is just getting used to them, but my balance seems to be off just a little when wearing them and trying to a. keep them in while pulling on a helmet that fits right (tight) and b. remembering to put them back in after a stop, conspire to make me not wear them very often.

I will say that I am noticeably less tired after a long ride when I remember to wear plugs, so there is that.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote