Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #41
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
As far as how some ancient monument was built...they didn't have OSHA! j/k. It's called time and labor people. Mystery solved.
I hear you...and to a degree, I don't disagree....but...HOW?! I have a shit ton of labor available. Fine. I have a lifetime to make it happen. Fine. How?!

At some point a tool touches stone. What tools touched those stones to make those perfect joints happen? I'm talking in specifics. What tool is capable of cutting diocite with such precision? What tools lifted 800 ton stones 20 feet into the air? These are the interesting questions to me and I don't think "throw labor at it and stay at it as long as it takes" is a fully acceptable answer. We as a species apparently had the know how and tools necessary to do these things at one point in time and they've largely been lost.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Extremely unlikely that we are the only intelligent life. We are definitely not the most advanced considering the relative ages of the different galaxies...we are babies by comparison. I've often postulated that as life forms evolve they actually take on "godlike" tendencies... consider, if one of us were to go back in time 100,000 years or whatever. We would seem quite godlike to the people there. I believe that it is possible to evolve into an almost pure conscious state and be able to directly affect matter and energy through force of will alone. Which would make you a "God" by our current sensibilities.
just so you know, almost this whole thing word for word is the first or second chapter in this 40 year old book.

Quote:
It's called time and labor people. Mystery solved. Seriously, men have tunneled through concrete to escape from prison using a spoon. You put enough man hours/lives and time into a project and you can do anything. It took decades/lifetimes to build a pyramid. ...
thats a nice convenient answer, to a question not being asked.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't care if it was measure 1000x/cut slowly. It's still pretty damn impressive and our world took back steps from that type of quality before we moved forward. It's just impressive engineering without modern equipment.
Oh I agree that it is impressive, just not otherworldly. Oh and we "forgot" how to do it because all the engineers were murdered and buried with the Pharaohs once the job was complete...

I do agree on "lack of quality" in our buildings...ever work on a double wide or modular home? Wow! Heck, even stick houses wouldn't know a square corner if it bit them. When I was installing garage doors, it was routine for an opening to gain/lose an inch or better from plumb in just 7-8'...Pathetic!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #44
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

In the past few years, I have been more interested in alternate universes, not necessarily "alien" universes. I find it intriguing that there are infinite universes based on the decisions we make. Not mundane, everyday decisions, but significant events such as having children, accidents, inventions, etc. The Watchmen universe hits on this idea, but its been around for a long time.

I find it a cool mental exercise to imagine parallel or alternate universes and what they would be like. Philip K. Dick wrote a story in which the human brain was a filter, and blocked all but the one universe to the owner's perception. With a drug, the filter could be bypassed, and multiple, alternate universes could be transcended. Altered perceptions, now that's the ticket.

And, yes. Aliens are out there. However, if relativity holds, we will never have proof.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I hear you...and to a degree, I don't disagree....but...HOW?! I have a shit ton of labor available. Fine. I have a lifetime to make it happen. Fine. How?!

At some point a tool touches stone. What tools touched those stones to make those perfect joints happen? I'm talking in specifics. What tool is capable of cutting diocite with such precision? What tools lifted 800 ton stones 20 feet into the air? These are the interesting questions to me and I don't think "throw labor at it and stay at it as long as it takes" is a fully acceptable answer. We as a species apparently had the know how and tools necessary to do these things at one point in time and they've largely been lost.
Diocite isn't invulnerable... I have seen monuments in which the floors are made out of granite and paths have been worn into them by bare feet. What about a diamond attached to a rod? If it takes an hour to dig in a 1/4'' that is still progress. The only thing that makes those places a "mystery" and places like the Great Wall less mysterious is RECORD KEEPING or the lack there of. Everyone knows how the wall was built so no one is going around claiming "alien involvement" or ancient uber engineering concepts. Is not the great wall equally impressive? Gee, how'd they ever build it using non-modern techniques? LABOR and time.....

Build ramps out of dirt/sand....remove after structure is built, easy. I don't think that their super cool ways of doing things were "lost", I just think that we found easier, faster and less labor intensive ways to do things. Heck, how did we build a railroad across the country, through mountains and over gorges without "modern" equipment? Hmmmm? BTW it is estimated that over 200,000 people died during it's construction in this "modern" era...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr1.jpg (36.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg rr2.jpg (29.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
just so you know, almost this whole thing word for word is the first or second chapter in this 40 year old book.

thats a nice convenient answer, to a question not being asked.
Never read it but if it's in a book, I must be right!!! w00t!

Oh and someone not as important as you was asking that question actually... I guess I should focus all of my responses on you but...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
In the past few years, I have been more interested in alternate universes, not necessarily "alien" universes. I find it intriguing that there are infinite universes based on the decisions we make. Not mundane, everyday decisions, but significant events such as having children, accidents, inventions, etc. The Watchmen universe hits on this idea, but its been around for a long time.

I find it a cool mental exercise to imagine parallel or alternate universes and what they would be like. Philip K. Dick wrote a story in which the human brain was a filter, and blocked all but the one universe to the owner's perception. With a drug, the filter could be bypassed, and multiple, alternate universes could be transcended. Altered perceptions, now that's the ticket.

And, yes. Aliens are out there. However, if relativity holds, we will never have proof.
Agreed....unless they have evolved past the need for a physical being and can alter space, matter, time, etc at will... Selling my theory...
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #48
AquaPython
put it THIS way

i did not ask any question ? i don't think anyone asked "how could they be built" ? homeslice attempted to summarize COTG with it, unless i am mistaken (without going back through all of the posts. )
Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Yes. But honestly, I don't think that is even the most interesting or relevant question. A more interesting question is what have we forgotten about ourselves as a species? It seems that we have collective amnesia as a species....what we DON'T know about ourselves....where we came from...what we might already have accomplished along the way and forgotten about is far more interesting to me.

The evidence of things being done that are beyond current ability to explain and or reproduce are scattered all over the world. Megalithic building for example...Puma Punku in Boliva...The Pyramids at Giza...Ba'Albek in Lebanon. These structures would be difficult to reproduce using modern tools and machines...and yet, there they stand...Ba'Albek is particularly difficult to explain. How do you move 3 stones that weigh 800 tons a piece a half mile from where they were quarried and then place them onto a wall 20 feet off the ground? The quarry where these megalithic stones were taken contain two additional stones estimated to be over 1,000 tons each still sitting there. The stones at Puma Punku are diocite....extremely durable material...and yet virtually every stone has been "machined" to a high degree...the stones fit together perfectly...like legos. How was it done? How do you "machine" a stone like granite....or diocite...with the tools we ASSUME those people had available at the time we THINK these places were built?

Where did the technical know how required to move objects that large go? Where did the tools required to "machine" stones of that hardness go? Apparently, we had the required technical expertise and tools at one time as the structures are there....you can see them with you own eyes. It's the HOW that has been lost and to me that is more interesting than any "ET."
Seriously, you didn't see this post A P?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #50
L8 Braker
Swollen Member

What's it matter?

We're all dead on 12/21/12 anyway
L8 Braker is offline   Reply With Quote