Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
1.5 TB ain't shit anymore, especially with the size of blu
ray movies. Let me know when you get over 10.
EMC 16TB SAN at the office FTW!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #42
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
We were not talking about movies. Movies are stupid simple to find for the most part. We were talking about TV shows and Netflix has a very wide range of new and old shows.

1.5 TB ain't shit anymore, especially with the size of blu ray movies. Let me know when you get over 10.
Not to mention the possibility of them crashing.....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #43
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
EMC 16TB SAN at the office FTW!!!
Nice, I uped my total storage 2 gigs with the mac and another shared drive. Trying get my wives photo storage added to my media server to get another gig. Need to get a few more drives so I can raid protect everything.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
The question I have is why people are willing to pay upwards of $100 for cable/satellite when there are so many streaming options? Almost everything I want to watch can be found on the net. Hulu, Netflix, Boxee, VuDu, the Networks, etc it's all there. There are tons of devices for streaming, including the TVs themselves. Most are WiFi and I contend that the picture quality is at least as good as regular cable and getting better everyday imho.
Odds are most people are professional channel surfers who just want to sit there switching channels, and don't even know what torrent is. They might have used Hulu before, but that's about it, and besides that's only one small collection of content. So these people figure "fuck it" and decide not to spend time researching all the other sites and figuring out how they work.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #45
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Thing i worry about only streaming is useing a ton of bandwith and having your inernet company shutting down your connection.

What resolution are the movies when you download/stream? No point to use the service if it looks like shit on my 1080p tv.
Thats the other side of our streaming future that nobody talks about. Netflix's HD video is streamed at up to 3800kbps whuch is a little under .5 MB/s so a two hour movie will be 3300 MB of data. I have Comcast cable internet at home which has a monthly "unlimited" cap of 250 GB total. Which means upload and download combined. The cable companies do not want you to trade premium TV channels for generic data so I wont be suprised if they start imposing harder caps on data in an attempt to limit use of streaming TV and movies.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #46
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Thats the other side of our streaming future that nobody talks about. Netflix's HD video is streamed at up to 3800kbps whuch is a little under .5 MB/s so a two hour movie will be 3300 MB of data. I have Comcast cable internet at home which has a monthly "unlimited" cap of 250 GB total. Which means upload and download combined. The cable companies do not want you to trade premium TV channels for generic data so I wont be suprised if they start imposing harder caps on data in an attempt to limit use of streaming TV and movies.
Eventually as FiOS starts gaining more traction, cable companies won't be able to compete. Everything is moving towards streaming service. TV will change to adapt to an on demand philosphy.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #47
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Eventually as FiOS starts gaining more traction, cable companies won't be able to compete. Everything is moving towards streaming service. TV will change to adapt to an on demand philosphy.
The cable down here has a bunch of on demand services.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The cable down here has a bunch of on demand services.
Yeah, but it's not what I am talking about. It's like that everywhere. TV will have to adjust completely where it's not a set schedule. They will have to be flexible to an on demand philosphy, not a set schedule. DVR will become irrelevant because everything will be streaming as you want to watch it.

The only thing that will be set schedule will be live events.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #49
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not what I am talking about. It's like that everywhere. TV will have to adjust completely where it's not a set schedule. They will have to be flexible to an on demand philosphy, not a set schedule. DVR will become irrelevant because everything will be streaming as you want to watch it.

The only thing that will be set schedule will be live events.
Let me rephrase, having used both cable and FIOS I don't see much difference between the two for on demand services. That being the case I didn't understand why you said cable wouldn't be able to compete with FIOS.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #50
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Verizon is no longer adding FiOS markets so the only thing that can compete with cable is wireless data which I expect to have even stricter bandwidth limitations than cable does. I think our only hope is Google.