Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
nhgun Thank you man, all great info.

Nice write up and correct

Realistically speaking, I have to shoot all of these to determine what fits me the best. Intellectually I'm leaning toward a DA/SA type pistol to remove complications from that initial shot in a true panic shot scenario.

I'm thinking a 1911 would be badass at the range however.
I carry my 1911 cocked and locked. After clearing the holster, it's a simple movement with the right thumb to come down on the safety, moving it down, making the weapon ready to fire.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #42
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Ultimately I imagine a DA only (like the glock) is going to have a longer/heavier pull potentially resulting in a less accurate shot. That's one of the benefits of a SA or DA/SA gun.
Not to be too picky, but Glock isn't double action.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #43
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Not to be too picky, but Glock isn't double action.
I'm trying to remember the specific term for it, but there was no hammer and nothing to cock so the closest I could equate it to is a DA pistol.

What's the term for it?
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #44
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm trying to remember the specific term for it, but there was no hammer and nothing to cock so the closest I could equate it to is a DA pistol.

What's the term for it?
Good question. I go with striker fire. The guy at the gun shop said it's about a 1.5 action. Someone smarter than me may know better.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #45
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Good question. I go with striker fire. The guy at the gun shop said it's about a 1.5 action. Someone smarter than me may know better.
Striker. Glocks should be considered single action since you can't restrike. Others are doubles
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #46
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

With your budget, also try the HK P30. A gun you can fit to your hand helps with accuracy and follow up shots. The Smith & Wesson M&P comes with s,m,l backstraps and can also be sized to your hand. I have one for steel challenge and action pistol matches and haven't had a malfunction with it after 4,000 plus rounds.

For home defense, a shotgun with 00 buck or an AR with Winchester Power-Points would be a better choice. The 00 will over-penetrate, a 9mm round will go through every wall in your house if you miss. If you live somewhere rural and don't have kids in another room it's not as big a consideration. Whatever you decide to do, get something you can mount a light to and get a light for it. There have been some tragic mistakes that could have been avoided that way.

After getting familiar with your weapon, find a club and shoot a couple of matches. It's amazing how just the stress from doing something unfamiliar and people watching you affects your accuracy.
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #47
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
So hopefully someone can explain the main benfits/differences of the 1911 over a poly/steel pistol for me. I know the 1911's are a full metal gun with different ergos and assume there are large shooting differences but don't have a point of reference to tell how the two will react differently. I have also done some reading and have found that the majority are SA triggers, and thus there are some drawbacks/benefits to how they are carried. Mostly I'm interested in the feel difference betweent he two.

For example, a Sig P226 vs an SA 1911-A1.

I have quite a bit of shooting to do.
I have the XD 40 and a Kimber 45. I absolutely love both. differences between the two, biggest difference is trigger pull. SA pull on the 45 makes it very easy to aim and fire accurately. that said the XD is very close in accuracy for me.
the 45 is more comfortable to shoot for me except for the "stretch" to release slide forward.
when I take one with just in case, it's usually the 40. I'm not a fan of carrying the 1911 with the hammer cocked.
45 holds fewer rounds, 40 is lighter, 45 recoil is noticably heavier,
if i could only own one, i honestly couldn't decide between the two. I love both.
if I wanted a gun with tactical possibilities, "lights, lasers" etc, that can be tossed in a console and counted on to work always. it would be the 40. it has the rails for accesories and is low cost enough to not worry so much about any character it may develop.
there are low cost 1911's out there, but I have no personal experience with them.

BTW for your wife, mine has a sub compact Taurus 9mm semi and a 38 snub. she likes both but very much prefers the revolver. easier for her to shoot and fewer moving parts.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #48
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

Taurus Raging Judge. Perfect for home defense with the ability to be a small shotgun (.410), fun at the range with the .45 LC, plenty heavy enough to use as a club with the added benefit of shooting someone breaking into your neighbors house from your own bedroom, through the walls of both houses (.454 Casull)...
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #49
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Taurus Raging Judge. Perfect for home defense with the ability to be a small shotgun (.410), fun at the range with the .45 LC, plenty heavy enough to use as a club with the added benefit of shooting someone breaking into your neighbors house from your own bedroom, through the walls of both houses (.454 Casull)...
lol That was right next to the Rocket Propelled IED I was considering as well.

Range Report Time -

The guns I didn't get to shoot, and I'm a little bummed I wasn't able to, is the Kimber 45 and the CZ 9mm.

What I did shoot:

Colt 1911 chambered in .45 (Not sure of the exact model number)
Great gun - nice smooth trigger pull and was fairly (to me) accurate. I did experience a bit more muzzle flip with the 1911 than I did with the other pistols. I also liked the SA trigger only.

Glock 40 - Decent gun, fairly nice to shoot but didn't really fit my hands well. I shot ok with it, but wasn't very enthused. I handled a glock 27 which was better, but didn't put any rounds through it.

Springfield XD40 - Damn nice gun. Loved the trigger pull on this - smooth, consistent and easy to shoot. The gun also fit me well, though I wasn't excited about the feel of the grip under my hand. Nice ergos but from what I saw the grip couldn't be swapped. Easy to sight and shoot - this was in my top two.

Sig p226 in .40 - Another FANTASTIC pistol. These ergos fit me the best, comfortable to shoot and I enjoyed the SA trigger pulls. The first shot as DA is a little heavy and long (10lbs), but smooth and still easy to stay on target giving it a good squeeze. I also liked the night sights and shot the most accurately with this pistol (once past the DA pull)

So with that said, I am now the proud owner of a Sig Sauer P226 in .40 S&W! After getting an opportunity to put some rounds through each of my top choices the Sig was the clear winner. I was also offered a great deal on a new Sig (night sights, 4 mags, lock) for "minimal" cash so that helped to seal the deal.

Pics to follow soon. I'm looking forward to getting it to the range this weekend with a few of my more experienced shooting friends, and to my classes coming up next month.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #50
Corey
AMA Supersport

Congrats on the purchase! I was hoping you'd update.