Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #41
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

No, but the substance has to actually be fucking addictive. Cannabis isn't.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #42
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
No, but the substance has to actually be fucking addictive. Cannabis isn't.
Depends on how you classify what's addictive. I'd say it isn't physically addictive, but it certainly can be psychologically addictive... like alcohol.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #43
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

So can fapping. Cut it out.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #44
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Depends on how you classify what's addictive. I'd say it isn't physically addictive, but it certainly can be psychologically addictive... like alcohol.
Then you have to be of the mindset that absolutely anything can be an addictive substance. You could make the argument that we're all H20 addicts for example. Certainly under that mindset the majority of Americans qualify as caffeine addicts, which is a more accurate description except that caffeine can kill you and Marijuana can not.

Which, of course, then renders it useless to refer to anyone as an addict, since they all are.

No, an addict is someone who does continuing substantial damage to their body, their life, their family, etc. etc. to continue to use a substance because they have a chemical addiction to it. I think in reality we all understand the difference. Chemically addictive substances cause very real and dangerous withdrawl symptoms when the user stops. There are no withdrawls when a frequent marijuana user stops smoking pot.

Even caffeine addicts get a headache when they don't get that Pepsi....yet the same is not true for a marijuana user.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #45
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Not true, alcohol is physically addictive and the withdrawals can absolutely kill you.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #46
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Delerium Tremens.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #47
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Then you have to be of the mindset that absolutely anything can be an addictive substance. You could make the argument that we're all H20 addicts for example. Certainly under that mindset the majority of Americans qualify as caffeine addicts, which is a more accurate description except that caffeine can kill you and Marijuana can not.

Which, of course, then renders it useless to refer to anyone as an addict, since they all are.

No, an addict is someone who does continuing substantial damage to their body, their life, their family, etc. etc. to continue to use a substance because they have a chemical addiction to it. I think in reality we all understand the difference. Chemically addictive substances cause very real and dangerous withdrawl symptoms when the user stops. There are no withdrawls when a frequent marijuana user stops smoking pot.

Even caffeine addicts get a headache when they don't get that Pepsi....yet the same is not true for a marijuana user.
Sooo... you're saying I'm not addicted to masturbating?

Quote:
Not true, alcohol is physically addictive and the withdrawals can absolutely kill you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Delerium Tremens.
Color me corrected... Freshman health class was WAY too long ago.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #48
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Sooo... you're saying I'm not addicted to masturbating?

Color me corrected... Freshman health class was WAY too long ago.
I'm saying the term "addict" gets thrown around too loosely in an effort to "demonize" marijuana users of all types, when it isn't really accurate. There is a difference, to me, between using a substance regularly because you enjoy it vs. using something because the only thing you can think about every waking second of the day is how you can get some of that and put it into your body right fucking now, such as Meth or Heroin.

Someone who's been to to rehab voluntarily numerous times to get off meth but keeps going back is physically addicted. Someone who smokes a joint when they watch Grandma's Boy just likes it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #49
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
I'm saying the term "addict" gets thrown around too loosely in an effort to "demonize" marijuana users of all types, when it isn't really accurate. There is a difference, to me, between using a substance regularly because you enjoy it vs. using something because the only thing you can think about every waking second of the day is how you can get some of that and put it into your body right fucking now, such as Meth or Heroin.

Someone who's been to to rehab voluntarily numerous times to get off meth but keeps going back is physically addicted. Someone who smokes a joint when they watch Grandma's Boy just likes it.
See, this is where the psychological addiction comes in... I HAD to get high... not because my body needed it, but because if I wasn't high I was desperately wanting to get high... needing it.

I smoked cigarettes for nearly 15 years... It took me a couple packs of Swisher Sweets cigars over a couple week period to kick it. I tried and tried and tried to stop smoking weed... did my body need it? No. Did it make my desire for it any less... Never. I was miserable if I wasn't high... It took moving completely across the country and having zero ability to even find it for me to quit. Now, I may partake every once in a while, but I tell you this... if it becomes legal, I'm smokin' that shit every day.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #50
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
See, this is where the psychological addiction comes in... I HAD to get high... not because my body needed it, but because if I wasn't high I was desperately wanting to get high... needing it.

I smoked cigarettes for nearly 15 years... It took me a couple packs of Swisher Sweets cigars over a couple week period to kick it. I tried and tried and tried to stop smoking weed... did my body need it? No. Did it make my desire for it any less... Never. I was miserable if I wasn't high... It took moving completely across the country and having zero ability to even find it for me to quit. Now, I may partake every once in a while, but I tell you this... if it becomes legal, I'm smokin' that shit every day.
Maybe you just really, really, really, really loved you some fuckin' marijuana. It doesn't have that effect on me at all, for whatever reason, and everyone is different of course.