Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
if you REALLY must recover your stuff off your drive.... buy another... install the OS on that one... and use your current drive as a slave. you should be able to browse it as normally the problem is in the boot sector

Yep. That's a bit more difficult with a laptop, though. I did it with my old desktop, but it wasn't worth all of the hassle to do it with the laptop. At least in my case.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

actually they sell cases for laptop harddrives... that make them USB HDD drives... so you can just buy one (under $50) and get your laptop up and running on a new drive and then recover what you want from the old one... (Hopefully)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #43
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
actually they sell cases for laptop harddrives... that make them USB HDD drives... so you can just buy one (under $50) and get your laptop up and running on a new drive and then recover what you want from the old one... (Hopefully)
Nice. Hadn't looked into that, but will definitely consider it in the future. Of course, what I had to do wasn't worth the $50, but may very well be worth it to smittie. Well, the $50 + the $120 or so for the new hard drive.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #44
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

Quote:
check out newegg.com or tigerdirect.com I haven't looked at computer prices for a while... but they're usually pretty good.

Yes if you go to either of those places you will get a good deal..

If you end up getting a new HD you will need a Windows XP CD.
If you can not find yours please let me know in a PM and we can get you one.

Once you get your new HD you can purchase something like this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5&Sku=V13-3234

Put your old HD in it and copy your videos and anything else you need to your new HD.

I hope that makes sense to you. There is no need to worry you will not loose any of your data.
Just be patient and we can get this resolved for you.

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!

Last edited by LaFemmes; 04-14-2008 at 08:28 PM..
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #45
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well the nice thing is that once you recover it... you can wipe the old hard drive and you now have a (in his case) 60gig USB HDD
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #46
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Thanks for the link Ebbs. I checked out some hard drives and the prices didn't seem to bad. Of course I don't know about the quality of them but I saw some 160GBs for $50 or so.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=100GB+-+200GB

When looking at hard drives what should I look for? And if this matters I'd like to not spend more than $100 on a Hard Drive. So if I could get an 80GB hard drive that runs much better than a 160gb hard drive for the same price. Would the 80gb be worth it since I've been happy with a 60gb for over a year. I thik my RAM(?) memory is 512mb. Maybe a 1gb.(By the way that's about all the "Computer" I know)

Maybe in a couple of days I can get my computer to my buddy and let him tinker with it.

Again you guys rock. Makes me wish I didn't pick on the nerds so much(Just kidding they picked on me)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #47
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Thanks for the link Ebbs. I checked out some hard drives and the prices didn't seem to bad. Of course I don't know about the quality of them but I saw some 160GBs for $50 or so.

When looking at hard drives what should I look for? And if this matters I'd like to not spend more than $100 on a Hard Drive. So if I could get an 80GB hard drive that runs much better than a 160gb hard drive for the same price. Would the 80gb be worth it since I've been happy with a 60gb for over a year. I thik my RAM(?) memory is 512mb. Maybe a 1gb.(By the way that's about all the "Computer" I know)

Maybe in a couple of days I can get my computer to my buddy and let him tinker with it.

Again you guys rock. Makes me wish I didn't pick on the nerds so much(Just kidding they picked on me)
You'll have to pull your old hard drive out of your laptop and make sure the new one has the same specs (other than the size).
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #48
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post

What kind of laptop is it? Make/Model that will help us find you a hard drive although most laptop HD's are 2.5 inches

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

It's a Gateway. I got it about two Christmas' ago.

It says it's a Model Number No: MA7

I think it has a 15" monitor.

That's about all the info I could dig up.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #50
t-homo
WSB Champion

Newegg has some of the cheapest prices I've ever seen. Tiger direct is also pretty cheap. Make sure you look for a good brand (Seagate, Western Digital.) From my bro's experiences, Seagate is the better choice. He had two WDs go out on him, then got a seagate and it has worked great since.

Or you could just get a MAC and be 1/10000000 as likely to get a virus in the first place.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote