Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #41
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The imports in comparable segments are really no better anymore. The Japanese put good parts in the late 70s to mid 1990s after which they started to cheapen out on shit. Today, their shit is just ugly.
Agreed. I don't get those tt speak tt the jap cars are so much better yada yada yada. Then in the next sentance they tell me how a majority of my american parts are made globally.

Bottom line. The parts that are outsourced are probably made to spec by the lowest bidder. This goes for all companies of anything.

I will put my gm/ford against any meanufacture tit for tat. The american cars/trucks today are leaps not bounds better than many foriegns and maybe not all.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #42
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Disclaimer - I'm from Michigan and I too have a few family members who retired from GM. I did buy my wife a Toyota (whatareyagonnado?), but I drive a Jeep. My next vehicle will also be another Jeep. I won't buy a foreign car for myself. Just because.

That said . . . I've got a friend in Ohio who used to work for a machine shop that made body panel molds for all of the manufacturers. He told me stories about how the different manufacturer's reps acted when they came to inspect molds. He said the reps from the Japanese companies (Honda, Toyota) came and brought laser mics and spent all their time going over every square inch of their molds to make sure they were exactly to spec. The Ford, GM, Chrysler reps would bring donuts, coffee, and sit around telling jokes the whole time they were supposed to be "inspecting" their molds. He said he saw it time and time again.

Just sayin' . . .
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #43
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

get a 4runner.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
Rider
Moto GP Star

Going with the Expy, end of story. Bigger and more comfortable ride than a Tahoe/Yukon. The independent rear suspension offers a great feel for the road and the 365 ft/lbs of torque will tow my boat no problem.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #45
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Going with the Expy, end of story. Bigger and more comfortable ride than a Tahoe/Yukon. The independent rear suspension offers a great feel for the road and the 365 ft/lbs of torque will tow my boat no problem.
We expect pics
Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #46
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How does the IRS affect tow rating?

Is there a noticeable difference between the Ford and the GM's?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #47
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
How does the IRS affect tow rating?

Is there a noticeable difference between the Ford and the GM's?
The Expy tow rating is 8400 lbs and the Tahoe/Yukon is 7600 lbs. Don't know if it's because the GM has a 5.3 and the Ford is a 5.4 or the IRS in the Ford helps with towing. Either way both vehicles are overkill for what I need as far as towing but the Expy was a more comfortable ride.

I've heard that a solid rear axle provides better towing but the numbers show it makes no difference at least not much of one at all.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #48
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Disclaimer - I'm from Michigan and I too have a few family members who retired from GM. I did buy my wife a Toyota (whatareyagonnado?), but I drive a Jeep. My next vehicle will also be another Jeep. I won't buy a foreign car for myself. Just because.

That said . . . I've got a friend in Ohio who used to work for a machine shop that made body panel molds for all of the manufacturers. He told me stories about how the different manufacturer's reps acted when they came to inspect molds. He said the reps from the Japanese companies (Honda, Toyota) came and brought laser mics and spent all their time going over every square inch of their molds to make sure they were exactly to spec. The Ford, GM, Chrysler reps would bring donuts, coffee, and sit around telling jokes the whole time they were supposed to be "inspecting" their molds. He said he saw it time and time again.

Just sayin' . . .
Unions... the downfall of the "American Dream".

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
What do unions have to do with lazy executives?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #50
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Unions may or may not be the downfall of the American dream, but I believe that co-ops may be the salvation of many of American companies.

If the current administration really wanted to bail out "Main Street", and the American worker, it would use stimulus funding to provide loans, and logistical assistance to workers who are willing to save their closing factories, take them over themselves, and band together, not as unions, but as cooperatives.

Business that are owned by their employees are far more successful at everything, because everyone has a personal stake in the company.

This needs to be this country's new direction, in this new global market. It's the American worker's only hope and salvation, IMHO.