Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #41
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'd hit it
And now that she's incapable of running way from you, you probably could.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #42
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I only disagree with your first paragraph. No one is entitled to drive or ride in, on or outside of anything. Freedom of movement - fucking walk.

And, he wasn't ticketed or held responsible for even the traffic laws he violated. Shouldn't THAT at least be addressed? Mommy and Daddy bought the bike - bought a new one - and no fines or tickets were issued.

I will not travel down the slippery slope - and, you now know me well enough that I won't. I'm not for undo lawsuits, I'm not for undo laws, I don't care for government involvement and intervention. However, I will not sit by and allow someone else to be that voice. If I can be the one to walk calmly into the room and let others see that it does or does not make sense - I'll happily be that person.
Walking is no longer a feasible way of travel in America, it just doesn't work that way. I understand what you're saying, but that isn't realistic at all. You can not support yourself by walking. Freedom of movement should apply to how the majority of society gets around, and that is in an automobile.

Should it be addressed? Why, so the city/county can collect some fines and use them to buy more redlight cameras? I don't see what good that does at all. I'm not opposed to him having been ticketed at the time for the laws he broke, but neither am I outraged or even bothered that he didn't get ticketed.

If you killed someone on your bike would getting a speeding ticket be at all relevant to you? Would you be like, "Well, its a shame that Joe died, but Goddamn this speeding ticket makes me never want to speed again!!"? I'm pretty sure killing someone is all the punishment anyone needs in that situation, assuming the have a conscience. And if they don't a speeding ticket won't give them one.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
shmike
Follower

Why is walking less feasible today than 100 years ago?

Has the country gotten bigger?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #44
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
And now that she's incapable of running way from you, you probably could.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Why is walking less feasible today than 100 years ago?

Has the country gotten bigger?
100 years ago you had the option to travel via horseback, no longer something we can do. However, a massive percentage of the land mass is covered in roads and fenced in private lands, which makes serious travel by foot very difficult. The most obvious way is to use the roads and highways that you ALREADY PAID FOR via tax dollars.

How can you force people to pay taxes under threat of death that go to the construction of roads that are meant for use under the Freedom of Movement and then say that using them isn't a right?

Driving/Riding is the right of all physically able, mentally sound Americans that CAN be taken away for bad behaviors, just as your right to life can be taken away if you murder someone.

And yes, the country has grown in size since 1911. Dick.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
And yes, the country has grown in size since 1911. Dick.
Touché.

It is quite easy to walk along the side of any road that your tax dollars paid for.

I'm sorry to hear that horseback riding was outlawed in Texas. I didn't know.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #47
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:

She paid with her life. I am certainly not, no way NO HOW, am I going to be that crass to any grieving parent. It's part of how this bill got as far as it did - people being horrible to this dead girl and grieving family.

There are some of us that are working with them to make this a more positive action to put their daughter's name to. If they want a legacy, we'll help them with educational programs. I don't believe this bill ever had a chance of making the impact another avenue could...
Quote:

When dealing with crazy, it's best to let there only be one crazy in the room. Let them be crazy. There is no convincing crazy that they are crazy. The most difficult part of this was when we would have them calmed down and listening to us - someone would attack them again and they would fall back into crazy. If at least one side is reasonable, progress can be made.
See, I totally agree with this.
Just because the girl made a bad call climbing on that bike with a fucktard doesn't mean her family doesn't deserve some compassion.
The politician who drafted the bill and wanted to use Malorie's name & story to promote it likely sold it to the family as a measure to protect others from suffering her fate. In their grief, they bought into it.
Now, what if...rather than lambasting the family for their choice...someone with some compassion and understanding took the time to sit down with them and say "This isn't going to accomplish what you want it to" and offered them a more reasonable and effective avenue for their efforts...how is that a bad way to handle things?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #48
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
See, I totally agree with this.
Just because the girl made a bad call climbing on that bike with a fucktard doesn't mean her family doesn't deserve some compassion.
The politician who drafted the bill and wanted to use Malorie's name & story to promote it likely sold it to the family as a measure to protect others from suffering her fate. In their grief, they bought into it.
Now, what if...rather than lambasting the family for their choice...someone with some compassion and understanding took the time to sit down with them and say "This isn't going to accomplish what you want it to" and offered them a more reasonable and effective avenue for their efforts...how is that a bad way to handle things?
I'm trying, Greg. I'm trying. Every time I had a productive conversation with them, someone would send them messages about how they were assholes or, better yet, how their daughter was a whore. Seriously.

Since when is it illegal to ride a horse?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #49
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Touché.

It is quite easy to walk along the side of any road that your tax dollars paid for.

I'm sorry to hear that horseback riding was outlawed in Texas. I didn't know.
Its also extremely dangerous. In fact, its how my little brother was killed.

Quote:
I'm trying, Greg. I'm trying. Every time I had a productive conversation with them, someone would send them messages about how they were assholes or, better yet, how their daughter was a whore. Seriously.

Since when is it illegal to ride a horse?
The first one of you smart asses that can ride from your house to my house via horseback without being stopped is going to get $200 cash, a steak dinner and a private strip show from a very hot dancer.

Seriously, are you really going to make me detail why travel via horseback is not only unfeasible but also relatively impossible?

And they are assholes, why are we surprised they're being treated as such? I read their Facebook page, they (the family) are very much pushing for the passage of these bullshit laws. I don't see anything from the family holding Malorie responsible for her poor decision making. Malorie was innocent, she was perfect, she was an angel....nothing accepting the fact that she alone made the decision to get on that motorcycle, or that she could've actually caused the wreck herself. Malorie's family put her name behind a bullshit law with discrimination written all over it under the guise of "education" without ever really trying to educate themselves.

I'm not trying to shit on them, losing a daughter is horrible, don't want to take away from that.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #50
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I know plenty of people without cars who get around just fine. Bicycles, public transportation, by foot, bumming rides... nobody NEEDS a car... however, life is exponentially easier with a car than without.

And paying for public roadways benefits people who would never own a car... from emergency services to the food in the grocery store... the roadways provide all of that shit.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote