Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #41
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
I'm thinking late 70's CB/KZ/XS. All of those are pretty solid and usually only require a little tuning now & then to keep them running like a top.
Don't forget the old GS 1000, 1100 and 1150. The engines were way overbuilt and the chassis has gussets everywhere. The electrical system is another story.

And I have an old magazine where they first tested the XS1100. They took it to the midwest and back to LA. And it only cost them around $50 bucks in gas. Nowadays that wouldn't even get them to SF and back.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #42
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Don't forget the old GS 1000, 1100 and 1150. The engines were way overbuilt and the chassis has gussets everywhere. The electrical system is another story.

And I have an old magazine where they first tested the XS1100. They took it to the midwest and back to LA. And it only cost them around $50 bucks in gas. Nowadays that wouldn't even get them to SF and back.
Indeed.
Actually, an old XS1100 would be tits, even though I'd kinda prefer something a little lighter.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Yup, I lost interest in riding around summer of last year and got rid of my motorcycles. Motorcycling has been good to me, but I found something that I enjoy more and requires me to not be maimed up.

It came in steps...first I got tired of changing shoes and putting all that gear on just to ride around the congested metroplex. Then I got more and more paranoid that everyone around me was on Facebook. Which wasn't really paranoia, all you have to do is look through a few driver windows to see a huge percentage of people are on their phones while they're driving.

Everyone here knows the pros of riding, but here are the cons that did me in...
- Gear is inconvenient
- Speeding tickets suck
- Riding in DFW sucks
- Drivers suck
- Death sucks
- Riding got to be boring.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Yup, I lost interest in riding around summer of last year and got rid of my motorcycles. Motorcycling has been good to me, but I found something that I enjoy more and requires me to not be maimed up.

It came in steps...first I got tired of changing shoes and putting all that gear on just to ride around the congested metroplex. Then I got more and more paranoid that everyone around me was on Facebook. Which wasn't really paranoia, all you have to do is look through a few driver windows to see a huge percentage of people are on their phones while they're driving.

Everyone here knows the pros of riding, but here are the cons that did me in...
- Gear is inconvenient

Get an Aerostich Roadcrafter II

- Speeding tickets suck

Don't speed (or don't get caught)

- Riding in DFW sucks

You have obviously never ridden in Toronto

- Drivers suck

No argument

- Death sucks

Haven't tried it yet, so I can't really comment

- Riding got to be boring.

Boring? With bad drivers and death? Sounds more like a sport....

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #45
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
...but I found something that I enjoy more and requires me to not be maimed up.
I won't lie...that DOES factor into my decision making. I've achieved A LOT building a better body over the last 7 months...and the thought of missing workouts due to a bike crash doesn't appeal to me.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #46
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
- I've worn an Aerostitch before. Its Texas, they're hot.

- Speeding is fun, obeying the speed limit is boring.

- I've ridden in most of the U.S., which is part of the reason riding in DFW sucks.

- Tooling around at the speed limit, sitting at red lights, traveling straight highways....boring. Add in the bad drivers and death and it becomes boringly tedious. Even if I do have the couple hours to spare to get to some decent roads the speed limits are low and its boring to me.

Definitely not trying to hate on motorcycling, but yea, I've lost interest.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
- I've worn an Aerostitch before. Its Texas, they're hot.

You asked for convenient, not comfortable in 120F weather.

- Speeding is fun, obeying the speed limit is boring.

Hence my "or don't get caught" comment.

- I've ridden in most of the U.S., which is part of the reason riding in DFW sucks.

So come ride up here for a week. I promise you that DFW will seem like heaven afterwards.

- Tooling around at the speed limit, sitting at red lights, traveling straight highways....boring. Add in the bad drivers and death and it becomes boringly tedious. Even if I do have the couple hours to spare to get to some decent roads the speed limits are low and its boring to me.

Get a set of cameras and do what I do; post video of the idiots online. It's great catharsis. It might also save a life or two, since you're a carry State.

Definitely not trying to hate on motorcycling, but yea, I've lost interest.

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong attitude.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:

You asked for convenient, not comfortable in 120F weather.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Seems like that would be a given, however an Aerostitch isn't really very convenient, just more convenient than a jacket and pants. You still have to put on the Aerostitch, boots, long socks, gloves, headphones AND get all your stuff packed into a bag, etc. etc. By the time you get ready to roll out I could already be half way there by automobile. [/COLOR]

Hence my "or don't get caught" comment.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Very simplistic statement that offers no real solution. Speeding without getting caught means being extremely focused on where a cop may appear and adjusting speed accordingly. Indeed I find that it takes a good percentage of focus from actually riding and just isn't that fun to be constantly searching for cops.[/COLOR]

So come ride up here for a week. I promise you that DFW will seem like heaven afterwards.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Your city is going to make some of the most congested highways and surface streets in America seem like they're fun to ride in? You think sitting in bumper to bumper traffic sucking in exhaust fumes in 110 degree heat (while wearing gloves, boots, Aerostitch, helmet, etc., sounds even remotely fun or entertaining? More power to you if you do, but its not for me. Pre-emptive counter to your probable counter....its not really any more fun no matter what the temperature.[/COLOR]

Get a set of cameras and do what I do; post video of the idiots online. It's great catharsis. It might also save a life or two, since you're a carry State.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Doesn't sound even remotely fun to me. Not to mention the time it takes to upload, edit, and etc those videos. [/COLOR]

Wrong place, wrong time, wrong attitude......

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Really? I'm pretty sure the name of the thread and topic of discussion is literally losing interest in motorcycling. My attitude seems very appropriate to me for the conversation at hand.[/COLOR]

*the color coding obviously didn't work, but you get the idea.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #50
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I've made up my mind....gonna sell the M109-R and put the proceeds into mods for the car. I'm not sure yet if I'll shoot the entire wad on a forced injection system....or just part of it on CAI/Exhaust....I have a lot more due diligence to complete before making THAT decision.

The decision to sell the M109-R is made, though.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote