Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #41
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

People on CA are mad cuz they have to cut down 400 trees to get the shuttle to it's final resting place. NASA is having to obviously replace the trees, give scholarships and other things, lol

Strange they "had" to get it out of Houston, but wont be moving the shuttle for like 12 days
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #42
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
It was a full ship, ready for space flight, just needed engines and life support, it still had flight computers for testing in flight systems.
An ambulance without lights, sirens, or medics is just a box truck. Houston should have the real thing.

I did google search NASA around NYC and found a NY connection. Apparently the Goddard Space Flight Library is there. Why they needed a space library there when Goddard is located in DC is beyond me. Also there is Dr Laura La Nasa Phd PsyD and other initials.

My GF is in LA right now (actually a fly over state right now) but she called me earlier and said she saw the shuttle flying. Said it was huge.

I would have loved to have been there when all the NASA guys were sitting around drinking beer, eating pizza, watching MTV, and trying to figure out how they were going to get that thing back. Then I would have loved to have been there when someone stood up and said "hey, ya'll I got an idea, let's put this on the back of a plane"
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #43
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
People on CA are mad cuz they have to cut down 400 trees to get the shuttle to it's final resting place. NASA is having to obviously replace the trees, give scholarships and other things, lol

Strange they "had" to get it out of Houston, but wont be moving the shuttle for like 12 days
They were cutting down 90 year old trees in the middle of Crenshaw Boulevard. They should have just picked a different route that wouldn't require changing the landscape so drastically.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #44
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

There wasn't a poor section they could cut through?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #45
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I went by Dyess AFB today and I guess it finally got the laser 747. Trying to find some info on it. There was a small dome on top just behind the flight crew and the top of the plane behind the dome was sunk down some. Took some shots but was pretty far off.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
An ambulance without lights, sirens, or medics is just a box truck. Houston should have the real thing.
you are really comparing an ambulance to a space ship? Ambulances, at least most of the ones I have ever seen are conversion vans with teh ambulance stuff thrown on. You can use an ambulance for just about any vehicular activity after its done too. A space ship is pretty much purpose built, its not like they can throw some better tires on it and use it as an ambulance. Once its done being a space ship it cant ever be used as anything else.

A better comparison is a submarine. Without the ballast tanks, and engines it is still a submarine, just a non functional one. Even if it never makes it under water it is still a submarine.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #47
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

And you could use it as a Glider providing you have a big plane to launch it.

I get your point but I don't see why the one that never ever went into space can't be on display in New York City while the one that actually did go into space can't stay on display in Houston.

I'd also argue that on top of Houston, Huntsville should have received one of the shuttles. Space camp is located there and those little nerd kids will be the ones working for NASA. Let them play on a shuttle. The shuttle in NYC will be a urinal for bums escaping the cold.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #48
derf
token jewboy

If Columbia hadnt been destroyed it would most likely have gone to Houston. If Challenger hadnt been destroyed chances are it would have gone somewhere in the norther midwest, probably somewhere like Chicago.

Houston should have gotten a shuttle, but at the end of the day there were just too few for them to get one. I will fall back on my earlier statement that the Shuttles were given to the locations that would give them maximum exposure in the major population centers in the US.

Houston while a cool place, and also historically important to the shuttle and teh space program as a whole just isnt a large enough population center or tourist destination.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #49
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

If challenger hadn't blowed up we wouldn't have endeavour
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
derf
token jewboy

Hey now, take your shuttle and go sit in the corner and be quiet. Though you are correct