Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #41
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Yeah, they cut almost 20 hp from the 500cc motor when they removed the power valves from the design.
I dont actually have a problem with them dropping the 500 for the non powervalve in the case of the 500 Snopro. Its a sport85 sled, designed to get amateurs into racing an appropriately powered sled cheap. The idea is great. But there was no reason for them not to make it in a 600cc and 800cc configuration too. I would have waited a year, but I would have traded my sled in on an 800 trail racer next year for sure. Although I am considering a Summit 800r 153" powder sled next year. Wont perform near as well on the trails, but itll go anywhere and climb anything.

That said theres no reason they couldnt have dropped the 570 fan, and put a 600 liquid in there, preferebly last years model engine, which is bullet proof. And dropped the 500 altogether because theres 10000 sitting in crates for those who want them in 09 models, most went for the 1100 because of 4 stroke reliability. (old people who dont want to add oil to the resevoir need a 4 stroke)
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I dont actually have a problem with them dropping the 500 for the non powervalve in the case of the 500 Snopro. Its a sport85 sled, designed to get amateurs into racing an appropriately powered sled cheap. The idea is great. But there was no reason for them not to make it in a 600cc and 800cc configuration too. I would have waited a year, but I would have traded my sled in on an 800 trail racer next year for sure. Although I am considering a Summit 800r 153" powder sled next year. Wont perform near as well on the trails, but itll go anywhere and climb anything.

That said theres no reason they couldnt have dropped the 570 fan, and put a 600 liquid in there, preferebly last years model engine, which is bullet proof. And dropped the 500 altogether because theres 10000 sitting in crates for those who want them in 09 models, most went for the 1100 because of 4 stroke reliability. (old people who dont want to add oil to the resevoir need a 4 stroke)

Agreed on all of that.

I personally prefer a 2-stroke because I like the power and the ease of working on them.

If you're looking for a good mountain sled, the new M series from AC is pretty freakin' sweet as well!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #43
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Agreed on all of that.

I personally prefer a 2-stroke because I like the power and the ease of working on them.

If you're looking for a good mountain sled, the new M series from AC is pretty freakin' sweet as well!
I tried an m1000 this winter. The power and handling were amazing, but I preferred the ergos on the summit, its more of a rider forward postioning like my f800, and I found it easier to stand and rail on through the deep powder with. Although to say id be better on one or the other would be lie, they are both amazing machines.

Im still in fear of the idea of no two stroke sleds. I tried a few four strokes, my uncle owned an rx1, i demo'd the z1 turbo and the 1100 bearcat, and i tried the Yamaha Nytro. none of them impressed me. Even the z1 turbo, while lightning fast, doesnt have that neck snapping, arm pulling power that my f800 does. It has 177hp to my 150, but when I nail my throttle, the WHOLE 150hp is right there. Not so with the 4 strokes. And when its back on the snow this winter, it should be in the 175hp mark anyway, and about 50 pounds lighter than stock. Which is about 150lbs lighter than the 4 stroke 1100, in the exact same chassis.

But if you want to race across a 2 mile lake, that z1 turbo is INSANE!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
I tried an m1000 this winter. The power and handling were amazing, but I preferred the ergos on the summit, its more of a rider forward postioning like my f800, and I found it easier to stand and rail on through the deep powder with. Although to say id be better on one or the other would be lie, they are both amazing machines.

Im still in fear of the idea of no two stroke sleds. I tried a few four strokes, my uncle owned an rx1, i demo'd the z1 turbo and the 1100 bearcat, and i tried the Yamaha Nytro. none of them impressed me. Even the z1 turbo, while lightning fast, doesnt have that neck snapping, arm pulling power that my f800 does. It has 177hp to my 150, but when I nail my throttle, the WHOLE 150hp is right there. Not so with the 4 strokes. And when its back on the snow this winter, it should be in the 175hp mark anyway, and about 50 pounds lighter than stock. Which is about 150lbs lighter than the 4 stroke 1100, in the exact same chassis.

But if you want to race across a 2 mile lake, that z1 turbo is INSANE!
yeah, the shop told me that the 1k cc performs like a 550 but that insurance companies are still charging the 1k cc rate. NOT thrilling at all.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #45
Apoc

insurance for sleds is a flat rate here.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #46
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
insurance for sleds is a flat rate here.
crap, I wish. Is it bad? Here, the higher the cc the higher the insurance.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #47
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

What's sad is I've never been on one. Snow in the south consists of a shitload of ice a couple times a year and a flurry that barely covers the ground and melts the next day. We're wanting to get one at some point, but not until there's another bike in the barn and another move behind us. Yes, I said another move....long story for another time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #48
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angee View Post
What's sad is I've never been on one. Snow in the south consists of a shitload of ice a couple times a year and a flurry that barely covers the ground and melts the next day. We're wanting to get one at some point, but not until there's another bike in the barn and another move behind us. Yes, I said another move....long story for another time...
coming further up north? We have tons of trails around here

I have a shit-ton of fun in the winter. I used to just sit around and wish for summer but since I got a sled a few years back I've learned to enjoy the winter for what it is: a HUGE freakin' play-ground that doesn't hurt as much when you fall

Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #49
Apoc

and fall you do!

340$ for full coverage Particle.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #50
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
and fall you do!

340$ for full coverage Particle.
full as in comprehensive? If so that's not bad at all...