Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #51
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Have one on a local forum right now saying his 08 Busa, with exhaust and a downloaded map are capable of 346km/h, or 217mph.

Apparently I should believe him because he says he has a gps.. .

I have a GPS running program. A few weeks ago it couldn't get a good signal and according to the GPS I was running at 177 MPH. So if we are going by GPS I could potentially outrun that bike!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #52
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

What about people who claim they used to own a bike after they see you walking in the store with your helmet. "Yeah I used to own a 1000 but had to sell it because I would have killed myself"
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #53
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As a boat owner you should know by now that many of your fellow boat owners use boat specific terms in order to give the impression they know what they are doing. Knot is one, but other common examples are port, starboard, galley, and head (different from boat-head). If your boat has one of the pitot tube fed spedos they are pretty useless. Depending on the boat and your desire to know they make spedos that connect to a GPS antenna and give you a true speed.
Yep I know all of those terms but don't usually if ever use them. You're right about some of the other boat owners...some here try to make it sound like they are out in the middle of the ocean piloting a cruise ship or something. Ok Skipper you can take the Captains cap off now.

My wife took a boating course this past summer because I told her she was only a First Mate and NOT a Co-Captian until she took and passed a course.

Now that she's taken it she likes to say port...starboard...etc. and I usually say "just freakin' say left and right !!"

My boat is only 23' and we only boat on Lake Norman here in NC so no real use for most of that 'boat talk'. Sure it's a good sized lake with over 500 miles of shoreline but still...just a lake.

I've been boating on this lake since 1998 so I've got it under control.

Now I didn't know about the speedo's that connect to a GPS antenna but don't really need it but thanks for the info.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #54
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What about people who claim they used to own a bike after they see you walking in the store with your helmet. "Yeah I used to own a 1000 but had to sell it because I would have killed myself"
That's my favorite.

The "Iyuzetaride"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #55
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Yep I know all of those terms but don't usually if ever use them. You're right about some of the other boat owners...some here try to make it sound like they are out in the middle of the ocean piloting a cruise ship or something. Ok Skipper you can take the Captains cap off now.

My wife took a boating course this past summer because I told her she was only a First Mate and NOT a Co-Captian until she took and passed a course.

Now that she's taken it she likes to say port...starboard...etc. and I usually say "just freakin' say left and right !!"

My boat is only 23' and we only boat on Lake Norman here in NC so no real use for most of that 'boat talk'. Sure it's a good sized lake with over 500 miles of shoreline but still...just a lake.

I've been boating on this lake since 1998 so I've got it under control.

Now I didn't know about the speedo's that connect to a GPS antenna but don't really need it but thanks for the info.
Running 60+ in a 23' is pretty good. I've gone around that in a few different boats between 22' and 34' and the 22' demonstrated that size does matter.

There are a few companies that make them (Livorsi, Gaffrig, etc.), but for what you are doing I couldn't see it being worth it. I think they generally run $500+ for the gauge and antenna.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #56
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Running 60+ in a 23' is pretty good. I've gone around that in a few different boats between 22' and 34' and the 22' demonstrated that size does matter.

There are a few companies that make them (Livorsi, Gaffrig, etc.), but for what you are doing I couldn't see it being worth it. I think they generally run $500+ for the gauge and antenna.
Yeah THE VERY DAY I picked my boat up I was feeling kinda good...had the loud exhaust on...cruising down the lake with my racing graphics on the side...23' with a 2' swim platform making it actually 25' long...yep feeling quite good.

Well guess what ? They were having a Poker Run that day put on by these guys... www.pokerrunsamerica.com and all of a sudden about a dozen 35' to probably 47' Twin 1000 + cubic inch supercharged vessals came flying by in the opposite direction !! Talk about a snap back to reality !!! I all of a sudden felt like a slow minnow.

There are plenty of boats on this lake nicer than my little boat but I just didn't expect to see this the day I was picking mine up.

Oh and yes...size does matter...my 23' is a lot smoother than my 20' that I had but is still nothing compared to a friends 27' and another friends 33' toy.

When the water gets rough in the afternoons from the wind picking up and heavier boat traffic in general you can really tell.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #57
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Yeah THE VERY DAY I picked my boat up I was feeling kinda good...had the loud exhaust on...cruising down the lake with my racing graphics on the side...23' with a 2' swim platform making it actually 25' long...yep feeling quite good.

Well guess what ? They were having a Poker Run that day put on by these guys... www.pokerrunsamerica.com and all of a sudden about a dozen 35' to probably 47' Twin 1000 + cubic inch supercharged vessals came flying by in the opposite direction !! Talk about a snap back to reality !!! I all of a sudden felt like a slow minnow.

There are plenty of boats on this lake nicer than my little boat but I just didn't expect to see this the day I was picking mine up.

Oh and yes...size does matter...my 23' is a lot smoother than my 20' that I had but is still nothing compared to a friends 27' and another friends 33' toy.

When the water gets rough in the afternoons from the wind picking up and heavier boat traffic in general you can really tell.
I am amazed at what people are doing with the big boats but wouldn't want one myself. The 23'-25' range is perfect in my opinion. I could buy a new 25' every year, burn it at the end of the season and I would still come out ahead compared to what the big guys spend just on maintenance. Traveling 100+ on the water has to be awesome, but if I do it its going to be on someone else's boat.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
I am amazed at what people are doing with the big boats but wouldn't want one myself. The 23'-25' range is perfect in my opinion. I could buy a new 25' every year, burn it at the end of the season and I would still come out ahead compared to what the big guys spend just on maintenance. Traveling 100+ on the water has to be awesome, but if I do it its going to be on someone else's boat.
No kidding !! When gas shot up to $4.00 + a gallon I was sooooo glad I didn't have one of those monsters....not that I could afford one anyways.

I was talking to a guy in the poker run this past year and he got his boat for $200 K...USED. The guy next to him had one that cost a cool $1 million.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #59
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Even running GPS, especially in the mountains, you can get some crazy readings. I was riding around Lookout Mt by Chatanooga one time and got a reading of 300+ mph on my VTX (yeah, it's a fast bitch ). I was in enough of a valley that it lost the signal and when it reaqquired it gave that crazy reading!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #60
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
That's my favorite.

The "Iyuzetaride"
There is a man that evidently lives in his Lexus that did that to me. Three times now he's been parked by the tellers at my bank when I've gone in there at 7AM to make a deposit. He has the seats tilted back and appears to be sleeping.

Last time I was on the bike and he rolled his window down to tell me all about the 1000 he used to own... Yea ok you that lives in your car... At least he didn't rob me I guess.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote