Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Yout got a spare tire and a good jack?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #52
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

It'll be no problem. I'm planning to do it with my car as well. And after browsing the link I'm going to post, I have no concerns with doing it. The only thing is, your bikes weigh a bit more than mine does.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=940017
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #53
MILK
The cows want you dead.

*Snicker* I bought my Camry from my Harley owning ex-father in law. It has a trailer hitch!

I've used it twice to tow a small trailer with plants on it. So it has been used since I bought it.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #54
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
who makes the trailer?
Um... One second...

Okay, I'm back, Carry-On Trailer co. I got TSC to honor a HF 20% coupon on top of a sale they were having which has me down $340 for the whole thing including deck, screws, etc. All told, I'm into this for about $550 including the hitch, the ramps, the chocks, etc. Not too bad considering I was dropping about $2-300 every time we wanted to go on a trip and having to plan it out around the rental, weather, etc. Now we can load and go whenever we want!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #55
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Yout got a spare tire and a good jack?
Shopping for a spare next week and I have my car's jack which fits under there well. I also have a couple bottle jacks that I'm considering... I might get a tongue box for the straps, jack, etc. I don't want to over do it though. This is intended for short, infrequent trips not cross country or anything.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #56
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Do yourself a favor, and replace the wheel bearings with some high quality units, it will be a few dollars but you wont ever have to worry about all of a sudden why the trailer is pulling the car left and right while you are driving down the highway. It seems that the wheel bearings are the weak point on them (also on the HF trailers), and the mesh floor which you already fixed.

Other than that, good deal
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #57
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Do yourself a favor, and replace the wheel bearings with some high quality units, it will be a few dollars but you wont ever have to worry about all of a sudden why the trailer is pulling the car left and right while you are driving down the highway. It seems that the wheel bearings are the weak point on them (also on the HF trailers), and the mesh floor which you already fixed.

Other than that, good deal
Yea, I'm considering the bearings with buddies but I'm going to get a couple trips out of these... It depends, I'm considering swapping the 12'' tires for 15'' tires and keeping the 12'' tires for back ups or selling them. The bigger the tire, the slower it spins at any given speed, the longer the bearings last.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 02-13-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #58
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Those HF jobbies are hard to beat for the value - just takes a little extra planning & hardware to set them up right.

One thing to keep an eye on are the flimsy bent fender brackets. After they bounce & vibrate around a while and/or get (easily) bent a few times I've seen them fatigue & break right off (fortunately not moving!). Probably wouldn't mess up your shit - but sure could ruin somebody's day behind you! (and cause an ins. claim)

On the bearings, they might last the life of the trailer just fine - but if you haven't already I'd suggest pulling the axles & cleaning-out/replacing the crap grease in there - as much as anything to make sure the axle nut is snugged-down properly. I found that both were too loose on the one I assembled - that'll kill the bearings quick, as I'm sure you know. Also makes a convenient time to identify the bearing #s and at least make note of what they are 'just in case'.

Edit: thought it was the h/f you had there - I bet that one's a few notches better in parts/quality. Kick-ass they honored the H/F coupon - I'll keep that in mind. Looks good!

Last edited by Kerry_129; 02-13-2011 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Didn't pay attention...
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #59
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Those HF jobbies are hard to beat for the value - just takes a little extra planning & hardware to set them up right.

One thing to keep an eye on are the flimsy bent fender brackets. After they bounce & vibrate around a while and/or get (easily) bent a few times I've seen them fatigue & break right off (fortunately not moving!). Probably wouldn't mess up your shit - but sure could ruin somebody's day behind you! (and cause an ins. claim)

On the bearings, they might last the life of the trailer just fine - but if you haven't already I'd suggest pulling the axles & cleaning-out/replacing the crap grease in there - as much as anything to make sure the axle nut is snugged-down properly. I found that both were too loose on the one I assembled - that'll kill the bearings quick, as I'm sure you know. Also makes a convenient time to identify the bearing #s and at least make note of what they are 'just in case'.

Edit: thought it was the h/f you had there - I bet that one's a few notches better in parts/quality. Kick-ass they honored the H/F coupon - I'll keep that in mind. Looks good!
Ha mind reader! I was just thinking, WTF is he talking about? Yea the TSC trailers have a decent rep and it's all welded, each weld inspected by me! Besides, it came with 12'' five lug wheels and I didn't have to assemble it!!! Decent lights, frame etc... the TSC trailer out weighs the HF trailer by almost 100 lbs and it doesn't have the added fold up trailer hardware. I looked at Lowes, TSC and HF and decided to go for the "middle" option. The trailer was on sale for $300 so I rolled for about $260 otd. Went to HD, which is going out of business. 9 4X6X8 treated planks for about $30, 100 #12 2'' drillers $10, car wiring kit $3, etc. I already had ramps and Condor style locking chocks from HF so no further expense there. All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase and labor. Yee Haw!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 02-13-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #60
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Pfffffffft, I'd worry more about scratching the bumper That motor/trans should be more than fine.

Clean install, serves a purpose while being hidden well when not in use. Well done.
It's hidden when not in use so no biggie. I'm not crazy about trailer hitches on a car BUT considering when there is a trailer hitched to it there will be two sweet azz sportbikes on the trailer...eye candy so who cares. Nicely done.

So you can get two sportbikes on a 7' wide trailer with no problem ? I need a trailer but planned to get at least a 5' x 8' if I decided to go with an open trailer.

*edit* Well I read the first page and posted before seeing the pics on this page. Ok yes I guess they fit.

Last edited by z06boy; 02-14-2011 at 09:37 AM..
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote