Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #51
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Yea, yea I say something that you agree with and I'm "redeemed"... I call it as I see, if that makes me a "douche bag" or "heartless", so be it. I meant every word, I like Josh and I hope that everything works out for his sake. I've been in similar circumstances in the past and it is soul wrenching and draining to a degree that cannot be fathomed by those that haven't experienced it.

As far as the insurance company goes, I'm not in love with insurance companies either but I have always had a problem with the idea of them being a bunch of "evil little men" just looking for ways to screw you out of your rightful claim. In most cases, if they owe you money, they'll pay you, if not, they won't. For all we know, she might not even have coverage for this type of eventuality... I don't.
Take a break from being offended and read it again.

I was agreeing with you and joking at the same time.

The initial comments were a play on words from a scene in Dumb & Dumber.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #52
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
We aren't even talking about the auto insurance, at this point. What's under discussion is failure to pay STD or LTD, based on stress and supported by a doctor's report, which seems to be permitted under their group policy. HR has washed their hands of the situation, making the employee deal directly with the insurer. The insurer is shuckin' and jivin' to get out of their legal responsibility to the client.

So are we all on the same page now?
Okay, do you KNOW that she has this type of coverage? Do you? I don't. It's not "universal" like it might be up there. Also, not all policies will pay you not to work while a family member is in the hospital. Here we go... but IF (I said if) the immediate danger is over, why can't she go back to work? Don't get me wrong, I understand that she may not want to, or "can't" emotionally but again, why does the insurance company or her employer owe her wages?

When my finance died, my employer was nice enough to pay me to stay home for 2 weeks. I had zero coverage that would have paid my lost wages for the stress of loss... I've actually never even heard of that. Do you mean to say that, God forbid, her son were to be in the hospital for 6 months, her insurance company should pay her wages? On top of that, do you believe that her company should file her insurance claims for her? I don't know but I have had our payroll/HR person help me with claims before and give me the numbers to call but I can't say that I expected it or felt it was her job.

Lastly, I brought up the auto insurance because this was an auto accident, I believe and they would be the primary in this case not the company insurance-trust me on this one. If the other party were at fault, she can file a claim against their insurance company for lost wages, expenses, etc. Typically on a monthly basis. I've actually had to do this very thing when I was hit on my beloved '01 GSXR 1000. AAA paid my wages and all of my expenses while I was off work. I still can't see why all of you aren't crying out for the blood of the person that caused this tragedy in the first place.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #53
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

As stated, she is supposed to be covered....the ins is fucking her around intentionally to save money.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #54
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Many DI policies have a waiting period.

If it were a company plan, it may take effect immediately, since it doesn't sound like that is the case, Prudential's (or whomever the insurer is) guidelines must be followed.

Not my words but a decent summary of STDI:

LTD will not be an issue for a few months still.
Yea, I'm not sure when these guys are getting their insurance from... I've never even heard of a policy that will pay you to take off work because a family member is injured or ill... This situation is not even close to LTD territory yet imho.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #55
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
As stated, she is supposed to be covered....the ins is fucking her around intentionally to save money.
How do you know? They could be fucking her around because of incompetence.

I'm with AL. I sincerely hope everthing works out for the best.

While not a fan of or advocate for insurance companies, I'm not convinced that a few weeks delay in payment proves any intentional malice.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #56
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Take a break from being offended and read it again.

I was agreeing with you and joking at the same time.

The initial comments were a play on words from a scene in Dumb & Dumber.
Offended? Have you ever read some of the things that are said to me on this board? Offended indeed! I was merely pointing out that NOW that I say something "right" in your opinion, I'm "redeemed". You may not believe this but I really don't care either way.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #57
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Offended? Have you ever read some of the things that are said to me on this board? Offended indeed! I was merely pointing out that NOW that I say something "right" in your opinion, I'm "redeemed". You may not believe this but I really don't care either way.

And I was merely pointing out that that phrase came from a movie.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
fair enough but what about the auto insurance and why isn't there any talk of putting in a claim with them? Auto policies typically cover lost work, medical expenses, etc in case of an accident. If he fell out of a tree in the yard-company insurance but this was a car accident, right? What don't we know here that would make us understand this situation better?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #59
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

The whole story I would imagine.
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The whole story I would imagine.
Well? Is it a secret? You told us the hard parts about the injuries to the kids, why not explain what happened to cause the situation? Obviously, if you can't or don't want to, I'll understand but it all is kinda feeling a little strange...