Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #51
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Correction, it is supposed to be a cheap way to get around. It will not be. A Segway costs $5k or more and has no new technology. This thing, based off the talk, is going to have lots of new technology. It is going to take more than GPS alone for this thing to drive itself with or without someone behind the wheel. Even if that idea is left on the drawing board it is still going to cost significantly more. The additional capabilities will require better motors and better batteries while being more complex to build. All that costs more money.
So then maybe they will sell it here instead of in poor places like India. You guys keep saying there's no market for this, well maybe not now but things change. Whether that "change" is forced by Obama or not, or if it's just a cultural change, that's not the point.....things change. If some big cities actually designed dedicated traffic lanes for vehicles like this, it could work. Hell there are plenty of cities already like Denver that have downtown plazas with a free shuttle bus that goes back and forth along the strip. It's the same idea except more individual. Hell they even have horse-drawn carriages, and bicycle taxis there. Some people don't want to walk three quarters of a mile going from one end of the strip to the other.

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-09-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #52
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I think this technology could be adapted to wheel chairs. It would make an electric wheelchair more compact. Turning in its own foot print would make it easier in small stores.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #53
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

What's gay about this is that it's fucking useless. You could walk and save yourself thousands. Well, there are those expensive walking shoes to buy. Whatever you couldn't do with shoes you could do with a scooter. And yes, not everyone belongs on two wheels. Those people belong on their feet. Or buses. As for manliness, I don't have an issue with my manliness, but I do have issue with someone who invents a pointless, hideous, overpriced peice of retardation just so fatasses won't have to walk, and yet it's touted as being so great while motorcycles are reviled. This thing is everything that sucks about motorcycles (which isn't much) along with a lot more suck, and none of the awesome. The only people I can see driving this are people who already irritate the shit out of me. Wait, I'm convinced. Build it. Build it and sell it to over-priviledged, bean curd-eating, PETA-supporting, Starbuck's=drinking, vegan, city-dwelling, pompous, elitist, smug, self-absorbed, blue-state label loving, liberal douchebag bitches. That way, they'll be easier to see coming and

A) Avoid before they can vote to erode yet more of my civil liberties or

B) Run over them in a real vehicle.

Look dude, it's fine if you want one, but everyone's going to make fun of you if you buy one so you might as well get used to it.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #54
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
What's gay about this is that it's fucking useless. You could walk and save yourself thousands. Well, there are those expensive walking shoes to buy. Whatever you couldn't do with shoes you could do with a scooter. And yes, not everyone belongs on two wheels. Those people belong on their feet. Or buses. As for manliness, I don't have an issue with my manliness, but I do have issue with someone who invents a pointless, hideous, overpriced peice of retardation just so fatasses won't have to walk, and yet it's touted as being so great while motorcycles are reviled. This thing is everything that sucks about motorcycles (which isn't much) along with a lot more suck, and none of the awesome. The only people I can see driving this are people who already irritate the shit out of me. Wait, I'm convinced. Build it. Build it and sell it to over-priviledged, bean curd-eating, PETA-supporting, Starbuck's=drinking, vegan, city-dwelling, pompous, elitist, smug, self-absorbed, blue-state label loving, liberal douchebag bitches. That way, they'll be easier to see coming and

A) Avoid before they can vote to erode yet more of my civil liberties or

B) Run over them in a real vehicle.

Look dude, it's fine if you want one, but everyone's going to make fun of you if you buy one so you might as well get used to it.
Thats the thing. I don't want one. I live outside the city so it would do me no good at all. Plus I couldn't afford it. But I do see a use for it and the technology in it.

I'm willing to be that less then 15% of the people that do buy them will be fat asses. One if you look at it, it wasn't designed for a large man or woman.

BTW I have no problem walking any where in my $200 sneakers. I also have no problem with riding a pedal bike. I used to bike where ever I needed to go. Before I got a car I would ride 30-45 mins. I even rode 2 hours to get where I had to go.

And I would take one for a run. It could be pink with pride flags hanging off it. I don't give a fuck what people think. Fuck em.

Inventions like this spawn new ideas and end up in other products so I don't see how you can hate on them for it.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #55
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So then maybe they will sell it here instead of in poor places like India. You guys keep saying there's no market for this, well maybe not now but things change. Whether that "change" is forced by Obama or not, or if it's just a cultural change, that's not the point.....things change. If some big cities actually designed dedicated traffic lanes for vehicles like this, it could work. Hell there are plenty of cities already like Denver that have downtown plazas with a free shuttle bus that goes back and forth along the strip. It's the same idea except more individual. Hell they even have horse-drawn carriages, and bicycle taxis there. Some people don't want to walk three quarters of a mile going from one end of the strip to the other.
I covered my feelings on that in the second paragraph. In cities here you still have no place to park it where it can be charged. I suppose they could make the battery removable so it could be taken inside for charging, but who wants to lug a hundred plus pound battery around every day. I know some cities like London have public charging stations, and maybe that would happen here, but it would probably be harder to find one of those spots than a hundred dollar bill on the ground.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #56
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I think this technology could be adapted to wheel chairs. It would make an electric wheelchair more compact. Turning in its own foot print would make it easier in small stores.

James
The technology for the Segway and this new thing were adapted from an electric wheelchair. That is how the Segway's inventor Dean Kamen originally made his money. The wheelchair climbs stairs using a very unique method. Any attempt by me to describe the process would not do it justice. I'm sure there are videos on the internet showing it. You might want to do a search because that thing is actually pretty cool. It isn't that I don't like the technology and don't believe there are uses for it. I just don't think its application in the Segway or this thing are particularly useful or potentially very profitable.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #57
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Wait, I'm convinced. Build it. Build it and sell it to over-priviledged, bean curd-eating, PETA-supporting, Starbuck's=drinking, vegan, city-dwelling, pompous, elitist, smug, self-absorbed, blue-state label loving, liberal douchebag bitches.

What the fuck you asshole why do you have to lump city folk into that rant?

(dammit...had a counter rant ready but lost my train of thought. I'm gonna slip a little bookmark in this thread and maybe get back to it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The technology for the Segway and this new thing were adapted from an electric wheelchair. That is how the Segway's inventor Dean Kamen originally made his money. The wheelchair climbs stairs using a very unique method. Any attempt by me to describe the process would not do it justice. I'm sure there are videos on the internet showing it. You might want to do a search because that thing is actually pretty cool. It isn't that I don't like the technology and don't believe there are uses for it. I just don't think its application in the Segway or this thing are particularly useful or potentially very profitable.

I thought so...so basically,this guy "stood on the backs of giants",inventors who really wanted to make something beneficial to the human race,and turned it into a rich man's toy. Sweet.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #59
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I thought so...so basically,this guy "stood on the backs of giants",inventors who really wanted to make something beneficial to the human race,and turned it into a rich man's toy. Sweet.
No, it was the same guy, Dean Kamen, who carried the technology over from the wheelchair he invented and used it in the Segway. He was his own giant so to speak.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
No, it was the same guy, Dean Kamen, who carried the technology over from the wheelchair he invented and used it in the Segway. He was his own giant so to speak.
Oh....well then nevermind me and my dumbass remarks!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote