Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #51
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I was telling her the same thing last night. She'll want more after the first run And going through on a Monday is sweet. My first trip up there was a Monday and I only made one pass through, then on to the Cherohala, but I rode from the overlook to the gas station without catching up to anyone and didn't have anyone catch up to me. I got to ride my own pace all the way through without distraction.
My very first time was Superbowl weekend of last year. I saw maybe a total of 12 motorcycles and a few sports cars. When I got on the Cherohala on the morning I didn't see a single car until one of the obsevation points near TP.

Best part was I saw 2 THP the whole time while I was up there. I rolled by them doing 60-70 just past Foothills Pkwy. I think they were headed to a small wreck there by 72 from a Honda Accord (Stock) that went off the road. I don't think they were driving that aggresive, just the tire dipped off and they over corrected. Everyone was fine.

Only bad part is it rained on me from the Store all the way to my home east of Atlanta with me having no rain gear.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #52
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Geeze folks, ease up a bit. It's not like every squid in the country is there trying to pass you in a curve

First off, most of us are planning on hitting it on Monday....low traffic day, no big deal. Second, it's rare that anyone will ever try to pass you in a curve even there. Now they will want you to move right and wave them around as you come out of a curve so just do it and let them pass if it's a faster rider. It shouldn't be an issue in our group either, those that know they want to go slower can go in the back.

But if I have my VTX still (probably will) and pass any of you sportbike riders, you're my bitch from then on
There are a few corners good for making passes on straightline queens when the leaves are off the trees. When you ride a 600 you have to find ways to take 1000s that suck at corners but gas it in the straights because they are too douchebaggy to give a wave by.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #53
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I have been stuffed on some corners at the gap and I hate to say it but mostly by locals. I am not a slow rider so its not like there is ever a parade behind me (and if so, I wave them on). One local split lanes with me and the goldwing coming the other way only to get stuck in front of me and arrive at the CROT 7 seconds earlier. I wanted to kick his bike over. I have also seen repeated runs were locals like to take a "race line" through curves like gravity cavity and it is only a matter of time before they cause injury to someone. You can run that road 1000s of times but you can NOT account for every minivan, harley, slow rider, squirrel, antifreeze spill etc. that might enter your path at those kind of speeds.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)

Last edited by HokieDNA01; 03-14-2009 at 02:57 PM..
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Like I told Eric, I have very little experience with riding like we'll be doing there. About the closest is when I rode Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas. I rode up the mountain, made a 2 mile hike to a beautiful waterfall, and rode back down. I was exhausted on the way down, both mentally and physically. I had issues with putting my weight on the bars on the way down, so I was fighting the bike almost all the way down, which exhausted me even more and I became extremely slow. Blah.

I'm sure I'll make more than one pass, but I also like watching others ride too. It's how I learn. Especially if I can sweet talk someone that I can trust into letting me ride pillion.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #55
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
There are a few corners good for making passes on straightline queens when the leaves are off the trees. When you ride a 600 you have to find ways to take 1000s that suck at corners but gas it in the straights because they are too douchebaggy to give a wave by.

Yea well,my bike is in the shop now getting more aggressive springs and new fork seals. I think Race Tech was a little off on this one so they sent me some heavier springs to try. I was having my seals replaced under warranty anyway so... We'll just see how shitty my 1000 goes into corners Bucko!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #56
Sanchez
Too sweet to be sour

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2006 GSX-R 750

He might've been lucky. Looking at his position in the lane, that Chevy might've stopped him from riding off the cliff.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #57
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Tigger I didn't say every 1000 just the ones that don't know how to take corners
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #58
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Like I told Eric, I have very little experience with riding like we'll be doing there. About the closest is when I rode Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas. I rode up the mountain, made a 2 mile hike to a beautiful waterfall, and rode back down. I was exhausted on the way down, both mentally and physically. I had issues with putting my weight on the bars on the way down, so I was fighting the bike almost all the way down, which exhausted me even more and I became extremely slow. Blah.
In the late 70's a Colorado Highway Patrol officer gave us a class on countersteering. I pushed on the bar to make the bike go that way. Worked OK, but pushing a 600lb bike around tight corners is a workout.

A couple years ago, I took Lee Parks' Total Control class. It transformed my riding ability. Nothing against the Gap, but we have some steep and twisty roads in Colorado. On my 30-year-old GS1000, I can keep up with my friend's 3-year-old GSX-R1000. I especially like when he passes a car and I have to wait for a chance to pass, and then ride like a maniac to catch up.

Anyway, there's a Total Control class in Searcy, AR on March 28: http://www.arkansasmotorcyclesafety.com/. That will prepare you for the Gap.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #59
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Tigger I didn't say every 1000 just the ones that don't know how to take corners

Joking Buddy! I have nothing to prove what so ever! I'll probably spend more time taking pics of you "young-uns" than I will riding the Dragon!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
In the late 70's a Colorado Highway Patrol officer gave us a class on countersteering. I pushed on the bar to make the bike go that way. Worked OK, but pushing a 600lb bike around tight corners is a workout.

A couple years ago, I took Lee Parks' Total Control class. It transformed my riding ability. Nothing against the Gap, but we have some steep and twisty roads in Colorado. On my 30-year-old GS1000, I can keep up with my friend's 3-year-old GSX-R1000. I especially like when he passes a car and I have to wait for a chance to pass, and then ride like a maniac to catch up.

Anyway, there's a Total Control class in Searcy, AR on March 28: http://www.arkansasmotorcyclesafety.com/. That will prepare you for the Gap.
Sweet! I was so just thinking about going to Arizona to take a riding class!!! Just kidding!