Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #61
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I will quite literally APPLAUD a parent that disciplines a child that is acting inappropriately, be it in public or not. There's a difference between disciplining with a smack on the butt and outright child abuse however. I think it's ridiculous that society has reached the point where folks cant discipline a child in public.

As for acting up in public, its great that you take care of the issue, but maybe your kids arent the ones that drive us haters insane.

I think the majority of us are talking about those monsters that shouldnt be allowed out of a cage let alone taken to a nice public place where acting out is not appreciated or appropriate.

Walmart for example. You expect to see kids. You expect to hear them crying, laughing or whining. No big deal. And Im sure most will agree. Does it still get on my nerves, a little, but so do dogs barking incessantly, construction noise, people sharing their life history on their cell phones loudly, coffee cans on ricers, etc. but Im not going to gent bent outta shape about it.

Screaming at the top of their lungs, running and darting in front of adults, tripping folks, being more than 20 feet away from their parents, building castles out of cans in the middle of the aisle...not acceptable.

Well said.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #62
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Why don't we go ahead and get political while we're at it. For every one of you all that gets pissed off that the kid is running and screaming in the store, there's another one that will call child services the moment mom or dad tries to discipline said child. Well...which way is it?

BTW, I agree that running wild in a restaurant or grocery store is NOT ok. At the same time though, TRY to remember what it's like being a kid. Some kids are mellow, some are hyper by nature. Now, try to remember just how much fun it was going to the grocery with your mom. My kids have been known to act up in the grocery because they're so bored. We'll IMMEDIATELY stop it. 5 minutes later they're at it again. Punishments will come, but you've got to remember that kids will be kids. They'll never be punished for being kids, but instead disobeying an order to stop acting up. HOWEVER, I can't smack their butts in the store now can I? Remember, that's illegal now. *rolleyes*

Ok since I 'cracked' on you about the last post on this subject I'll give you kudos on this one...good post.

Oh and I won't be calling anyone if you discipline your child...now if you're going crazy and abusing them...that's another story all together.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #63
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
I will quite literally APPLAUD a parent that disciplines a child that is acting inappropriately, be it in public or not. There's a difference between disciplining with a smack on the butt and outright child abuse however. I think it's ridiculous that society has reached the point where folks cant discipline a child in public.

As for acting up in public, its great that you take care of the issue, but maybe your kids arent the ones that drive us haters insane.

I think the majority of us are talking about those monsters that shouldnt be allowed out of a cage let alone taken to a nice public place where acting out is not appreciated or appropriate.

Walmart for example. You expect to see kids. You expect to hear them crying, laughing or whining. No big deal. And Im sure most will agree. Does it still get on my nerves, a little, but so do dogs barking incessantly, construction noise, people sharing their life history on their cell phones loudly, coffee cans on ricers, etc. but Im not going to gent bent outta shape about it.

Screaming at the top of their lungs, running and darting in front of adults, tripping folks, being more than 20 feet away from their parents, building castles out of cans in the middle of the aisle...not acceptable.
Also good !!
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #64
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Ok since I 'cracked' on you about the last post on this subject I'll give you kudos on this one...good post.

Oh and I won't be calling anyone if you discipline your child...now if you're going crazy and abusing them...that's another story all together.
Same here. I might discipline my child differently, but unless you're being abusive it's not for me to step in. Now if you're abusing a child in public....watch out!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #65
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Eating yesterday I saw a kid get his but smacked. They kept running around and the mom grabbed the kid and smacked him. The kid whimpered/cried for a little bit but it was music to my ears. The mom also appologized to me and a couple other patrons.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #66
Clay
I know nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Same here. I might discipline my child differently, but unless you're being abusive it's not for me to step in. Now if you're abusing a child in public....watch out!
How many people now-a-days consider that abuse though? Sadly, a lot do. Also sadly...most of the types everyone is bitching about would be those "we don't believe in spanking" parents. So dare I say, society plays a role in creating these types of kids too that know there will be no serious consequence for their actions.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #67
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
How many people now-a-days consider that abuse though? Sadly, a lot do. Also sadly...most of the types everyone is bitching about would be those "we don't believe in spanking" parents. So dare I say, society plays a role in creating these types of kids too that know there will be no serious consequence for their actions.

I know. It's a double-edged sword.

Oh and I don't believe in spanking. (kids I mean. I fully approve other kinds.)
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #68
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

most of you hit the nail on the head: It's not other people's kids that I hate, it's other people's PARENTING.

My parenting isn't perfect - neither are my children. But I'm actively involved in their lives and hold them responsible for their actions (meaning they have appropriate consequences when they do something wrong). I try to make the consequences as close to "real world" as possible. they'll be out in the real world with natural consequences in fewer years than I care to think about.
At home they misbehave, they push the limits, they test me (to the BRINK and beyond sometimes). But that's their job. Outside our home they're well mannered, pleasant, conversational (you'd be surprised at the number of teenager who aren't able to hold a conversation these days - one of my biggest pet peeves) and I'm complimented on the manners and behavior by most other parents. I'm proud of that.
I wish more parents worked harder at being parents and deprioritized the notion of being friends. And every child's number one lesson should be personal responsibility.
anyway...I could go on and on...but I think we're all on teh same page pretty much.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #69
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I know. It's a double-edged sword.

Oh and I don't believe in spanking.

Like so many other hot topics, you can choose not to believe in it - just don't judge me for believing in and doing it.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #70
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Some kids need to be spanked. I was one of those kids
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote