Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #61
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

The chick on Tosh.0 the other night was a hundred times better than Christina.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #62
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I never have understood all the ridiculous jacking-around with the melody. It's the national anthem, for crying out loud, not a shitty pop song - just sing it well & right.
I agree, I don't want to hear their weird-ass personal interpretation of it.......I want to hear it as I know it.

And these people call themselves musicians? If you're performing a cover song, you're supposed to be true to that song, and respect the original artist. Putting your own "style" on it makes you a self-serving douche. If you want to prove how creative you are, then write your own damn music.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #63
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I agree, I don't want to hear their weird-ass personal interpretation of it.......I want to hear it as I know it.

And these people call themselves musicians? If you're performing a cover song, you're supposed to be true to that song, and respect the original artist. Putting your own "style" on it makes you a self-serving douche. If you want to prove how creative you are, then write your own damn music.
Oh you mean, it's weird for people to put their own culture/styling onto a song that is the national anthem of the country that stands for FREEDOM. Yeah, that's stupid.

Why would you cover a song exactly the same as the previous group? That's retarded. If I wanted to hear the song the exact same way, I would buy the original song. Covers that actually put their own styling on the song actually have some leg to stand on, than just a flat ass remake of the original. Covers are retarded most of the time anyway.

Covering the national anthem is different. It's about honoring your country and if a singer wants to sing the way they normally perform, more power to em. That's freedom.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #64
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I think that there's a fair bit of difference between a regular song, which an artist can and should put his own stamp on in some way, and a NATIONAL ANTHEM, which should be shown respect.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #65
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

The black eyed peas were much worse
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Covering the national anthem is different. It's about honoring your country and if a singer wants to sing the way they normally perform, more power to em. That's freedom.
What's wrong with being humble and doing what you're asked to do, instead of trying to call attention to yourself? These people have already earned hundreds of millions of dollars, so I don't see what more they need to prove. The anthem is a solemn tune that's about respect for this country's sacrifices and its fallen.....It's not an opportunity to prove how original and creative you are. We don't want to hear some gay calypso version of it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #67
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I think that there's a fair bit of difference between a regular song, which an artist can and should put his own stamp on in some way, and a NATIONAL ANTHEM, which should be shown respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What's wrong with being humble and doing what you're asked to do, instead of trying to call attention to yourself? These people have already earned hundreds of millions of dollars, so I don't see what more they need to prove. The anthem is a solemn tune that's about respect for this country's sacrifices and its fallen.....It's not an opportunity to prove how original and creative you are. We don't want to hear some gay calypso version of it.
No that's not what the national anthem is about all the time. Sometimes, it's about showing how fucking kick ass we are as a NATION. It's not just a military song. It represents ALL of us as a NATIONAL anthem. Our song in particular says that we don't just go fucking away, we say "fuck you" to the world and that we are still fucking here bitches.

It's played for our olympic heroes to represent them as proud Americans.

It's about being proud of who we are, not just another song in a church hymnal. If someone wants to bust out some funk version as a way they represent this country, I say go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #68
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful with taking a little liberty & jazzing-it-up it a bit. I just think it sounds silly & un-musical when the singer starts bouncing around four different octaves per verse. I'm just waiting to hear it defiled with that god-forsaken auto-tune BS.

Totally botching the short/simple lyrics, on the other hand....
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #69
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful with taking a little liberty & jazzing-it-up it a bit. I just think it sounds silly & un-musical when the singer starts bouncing around four different octaves per verse. I'm just waiting to hear it defiled with that god-forsaken auto-tune BS.

Totally botching the short/simple lyrics, on the other hand....
Yeah, I didn't think much of her "rendition" either. I am not a fan of her crazy ass singing, but I don't see anything wrong with changing the styling of the song to suit your brand of music. Hearing Metallic play the national anthem regular style would be a waste of time, hearing them playing it badass would be rock on!

I guess it all depends on the setting. If it is for the funeral of a traditional soldier. Sure, it should be played like he would want to hear. However, at a football or basketball game, it's celebrating all of us as Americans and is not being used as a song of reverence, but one of celebration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 02-09-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #70
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I didnt think she made it her own? She has some pipes on her and can belt out some high notes...Ive heard the same type of style from people who also have the ability to hit ridiculous notes...She just fucked up the lyrics.

Really tho who cares?

I dont