Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #61
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

You're off to a great start. get signed up on SOHC4.net for the best possible info. the CB550's needed a short pod filter as regular size ones interfered with the frame rails on the #1 and 4 carbs.

I had one of these back a few years. without a battery, they no go. I did a LOT of this stuff back when I brought my first one home.

trust me, you need to put some strong cleaner in the fuel tank to loosen the remains of what once WAS fuel about 30 years ago and is now just pretty much a crust of nearly rock like shit in te bottom of the tank.

REBUILD the front caliper with a NEW piston and seal, get to a brake caliper shop to get the bleeder out, they get stuck over time and require professional help to remove. ask me how I know.

Also do a crankcase flush. theres likely a lot of nasty sediment in the bottom of the oil pan that needs flushing out, and plan on no less than 2 complete oil and filter changes once its up and running to remove as much crap as you can.

I HAVE been there, DONE that, and love my SOHC4 750 for the same reason. Also add some braided stainless lines and stick with the stock front end. inverted forks arent going to make it handle any better, and it stops quite well on its own if the brakes are in good shape.

Dont be afraid to ask me if you got questions. I likely have answers.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #62
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
You're off to a great start. get signed up on SOHC4.net for the best possible info. the CB550's needed a short pod filter as regular size ones interfered with the frame rails on the #1 and 4 carbs.

I had one of these back a few years. without a battery, they no go. I did a LOT of this stuff back when I brought my first one home.

trust me, you need to put some strong cleaner in the fuel tank to loosen the remains of what once WAS fuel about 30 years ago and is now just pretty much a crust of nearly rock like shit in te bottom of the tank.

REBUILD the front caliper with a NEW piston and seal, get to a brake caliper shop to get the bleeder out, they get stuck over time and require professional help to remove. ask me how I know.

Also do a crankcase flush. theres likely a lot of nasty sediment in the bottom of the oil pan that needs flushing out, and plan on no less than 2 complete oil and filter changes once its up and running to remove as much crap as you can.

I HAVE been there, DONE that, and love my SOHC4 750 for the same reason. Also add some braided stainless lines and stick with the stock front end. inverted forks arent going to make it handle any better, and it stops quite well on its own if the brakes are in good shape.

Dont be afraid to ask me if you got questions. I likely have answers.
Thanks for the info! I was wanting to find a good forum to join, but didn't know where to look. I just joined over there.

At this point I am kinda trusting my dad for the basics. He has been doing this a while, but he still has questions and also likes to hear other's ideas and opinions. I'll mention about the forks and the caliper.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #63
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
well, excuse me! in my defense you did ask for tips and advise prepare for "sounds like you ride a 500" jokes
No, I am totally messing with you! More than anything I am just proud that I can say, "I already did that, chump!"
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #64
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

nice! rawwwraaaawwwwwwrrr!
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #65
BobTheBiker

I'm always happy to help. For the front end, respring it, change the fork oil and seals, itll be fine.

My old one sat for many years, fuel in the carbs all I needed to do was basic maintenance and it fired RIGHT up when I put gas in the tank. ran like a champ too. these old CB's are just unkillable machines with overengineered engines that will live WELL past the redline safely.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #66
Heather's Dad
Trailer Queen

Moto: 07 Harley Nightster

Yup before anything is started we will have to remove the oil filter and check as much as possible for "crusted up stuff"- technical term!
from past experience these things are probably in great shape. Just filthy
Heather's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #67
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather's Dad View Post
Yup before anything is started we will have to remove the oil filter and check as much as possible for "crusted up stuff"- technical term!
from past experience these things are probably in great shape. Just filthy
SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!Here comes Heather's Dad!!!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #68
BobTheBiker

Any new progress? I just bought a 4:1 header for my old 750K.

Until you've experienced the phenomenon known as backfromthedeadHonda, you just havent experienced true reliability in a motorcycle. these heavy old beasts dont die, they hibernate.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #69
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
No, I am totally messing with you! More than anything I am just proud that I can say, "I already did that, chump!"
Congrats Heather Very cool you get to do this with your dad & hubby. Nice to see you working on a classic ( or two )

On the front caliper, if the piston is 1.502" in diameter and 1.380" in length, the K&L part is described as
BCP-102
BRK CALIPER PISTON
32-1168

I modify these Honda parts to fit the Kawasaki triple front calipers since the diameter is the same and they are just a "touch" too long.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #70
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
Any new progress? I just bought a 4:1 header for my old 750K.

Until you've experienced the phenomenon known as backfromthedeadHonda, you just havent experienced true reliability in a motorcycle. these heavy old beasts dont die, they hibernate.
No, my dad had a short weekend so we didn't do anything this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!Here comes Heather's Dad!!!!!
He has quite the cryptic screen name doesn't he?