Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #61
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
See but this is why I left Michigan. I was diagnosed with throat cancer in '06 and after a couple surgeries to remove the other tumors they decided that the one on my jugular has got to stay. It would have been easy to give up at that point, too easy. I watched my father waste away and die this way spitting blood as he drowned in it. I definitely don't want to go out like that. I also don't want to make other people watch me die that way either. I couldn't take the "coward's way out" so I took a different coward's way out and split. Cashed everything in, severed all ties and moved away. It was easier for everyone. I can go to my chemo sessions in peace and they can go on with their lives. If it magically goes away, then I'll possibly go back. If I die, they'll never even know. Win, win!

Besides, who knows maybe Bambi will finally get me!
I think situations like that are a bit different than the person who is just stressed from loosing their job or their favorite TV show got cancelled. packing it in while still healthy and coherent can be a good alternative to a long paiful death in some cases.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #62
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
its all perspective, to them it was worse than cancer aids and all the other badness wrapped into one. Kinda like how some people have a big emotional blow up over a little thing and others just roll with it.

Just want to throw this one out there and see what you guys have to say or think about this one. How about a schizophrenic whos off his meds (for whatever reason) and kills himself either because the voices told him too or the voices/hallucinations drove him to the edge.

Tom
I fell different about someone in that case. I know they mind can be completely messed up (you should meet some of my ex's ) and meds are needed in some of those cases.

Tigger is right that some doctors are way too quick to give meds. There are some that won't give them up at all. I feel the reason I was able to deal with being depressed as a teen was because I changed the way I looked at life. And I was at the point where I thought I wanted to die. I thought about it a lot at one point. I laid on the couch as a teen talking about my problems and saying that I wasn't thinking about hurting myself. Which was a lie.

As a young child I would get these weird thoughts. One was when I was in a cab. It was like a voice inside was saying "what would happen if you just reached up and started to choke the cab driver while he was driving. Or I would be standing by someone and wondered what would happen if I just hit that person as hard as I can, what would happen. It was like something inside me was trying to get me to do this. It was a fucked up feeling. I would get it out of no where. I never did any of those things.

A couple of weeks ago I had that same feeling again. The first time in maybe 18 years I would guess. Maybe more. It even happen the other day. Its weird that it happens because I'm not like that.

Coles notes version.

Some can't control their mind and they go crazy. Thats different.

Giving up because life is too hard IS weak.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #63
tommymac
Moto GP Star

There seems to be different trains of thought as far as treating depression and anxiety. Some are very quick to give meds where as others believe therapy is more than adequate. Now its almost in style to be on psych meds, kinda like how all hyper kids have adhd and are given rittalin like its candy. I think the challenge is finding the right doc to make a person better.

Tom
Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #64
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
There seems to be different trains of thought as far as treating depression and anxiety. Some are very quick to give meds where as others believe therapy is more than adequate. Now its almost in style to be on psych meds, kinda like how all hyper kids have adhd and are given rittalin like its candy. I think the challenge is finding the right doc to make a person better.

Tom
I agree. I think the first thing that should be done is testing to make sure something else isn't causing the problem. Then they should try to treat them with other methods first. For some meds might be the only option.

Giving me pain killers after my car accident would or should (they didn't and I tried 3 or 4 different types) ease the pain. But in the end they wouldn't get rid of it. Now using them to ease the pain so I can work out can strenghting my body to fix the problem is different. But for me they didn't ease it enough (or at all) to make it worth taking them.

In the end the gym eased my back pain. I still have pain every now and then but getting my ass back to working out will help that a lot. And I know it will improve my mood as well so I should get on that right away.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #65
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Exactly! The problem isn't solved by covering it up. That would be like throwing a paper towel on the floor every time the dog takes a shit. Sooner or later you have to either clean it up or move on. I really don't know about shrinks guys. How many people do you figure that kill themselves were on something and/or were being seen by a psychiatrist? What percentage? 20%, 30%, 75% maybe? It's the only type of doctor that is never expected to "cure" his patient. People will be on meds or in therapy for their entire lives and it's "okay"...wtf?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #66
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I agree. I think the first thing that should be done is testing to make sure something else isn't causing the problem. Then they should try to treat them with other methods first. For some meds might be the only option.

Giving me pain killers after my car accident would or should (they didn't and I tried 3 or 4 different types) ease the pain. But in the end they wouldn't get rid of it. Now using them to ease the pain so I can work out can strenghting my body to fix the problem is different. But for me they didn't ease it enough (or at all) to make it worth taking them.

In the end the gym eased my back pain. I still have pain every now and then but getting my ass back to working out will help that a lot. And I know it will improve my mood as well so I should get on that right away.

James
Sometimes the problem is there isnt any testing that could be done. Any decent psychiatrist Will usualy do routine screening tests to rule out any metabolic cause (electrolye imbalance, thyroid disease etc...)

Then the hard part is treating them or at least finding the treatment that helps, for some its easy to throw a script at them and say see me in 3 months as opposed to psychotherpay whic requires more time and effort on the practicioners part
Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #67
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Exactly! The problem isn't solved by covering it up. That would be like throwing a paper towel on the floor every time the dog takes a shit. Sooner or later you have to either clean it up or move on. I really don't know about shrinks guys. How many people do you figure that kill themselves were on something and/or were being seen by a psychiatrist? What percentage? 20%, 30%, 75% maybe? It's the only type of doctor that is never expected to "cure" his patient. People will be on meds or in therapy for their entire lives and it's "okay"...wtf?
look at high blood pressure or diabeties, they usualy are on meds for their entire lives because there is no cure for the problem.

Tom
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #68
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Sometimes the problem is there isnt any testing that could be done. Any decent psychiatrist Will usualy do routine screening tests to rule out any metabolic cause (electrolye imbalance, thyroid disease etc...)

Then the hard part is treating them or at least finding the treatment that helps, for some its easy to throw a script at them and say see me in 3 months as opposed to psychotherpay whic requires more time and effort on the practicioners part
yea and who has time for that shit? We got tee times to make! I'm can't say this is all of them but my ex's shrink was next to impossible to get a hold of and he had very short office hours, like maybe 20 per week.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #69
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Yeah I know what you mean.

James
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #70
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
yea and who has time for that shit? We got tee times to make! I'm can't say this is all of them but my ex's shrink was next to impossible to get a hold of and he had very short office hours, like maybe 20 per week.
Whats tough is for psychotherapy you usualy have 50 minute sessions so you can only see 8 or 9 people topps in a day. Where as a doc who doles out meds can see 3-5 pts an hr and bill each one for the visit.

Tom