Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #71
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I bet that thing kicks like a mule Moira. Sweet looking gun! Here is Kerry and my combined "arsonal"

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #72
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I'd rather put a bullet into hajji before he gets close enough to need to worry about cracking him in the skull with my buttstock. And last I checked CCOs improve accuracy in close quarters combat significantly when it comes to reflexive fire (which, for the Joes who are the ones kicking down doors... isn't that what we want, greater accuracy?). Wherever that red dot is, that's where the bullet goes (assuming it's properly zeroed).

Is it cheating? Of course it is. Anyone can say that "iron sights are better" if you're beating your chest talking about how skilled you are, and you'd probably be right (in terms of overall skill). But when it comes to actual combat... If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin...

Besides, most of these insurgents are pussies and would rather blow you up while taking video from a mile away than actually fight you face to face. So, in this case gadgets (particularly optics, CREW systems, NVGs, etc.) win.

At close quarters, you don't even need reflex sights. Point and shoot from the shoulder work just fine. Tipped with a bayonet, if you run out of ammo, you'd cross the room and stick'em a lot faster than fumbling for a reload or trying to pull out a pistol. At longer distances, the red dots are too big for precision shooting. I see zero benefit for a red dot sight. A short scope like the ACOG is a different story, but to me reflex sights are worthless.

As far as if you're not cheatin', you're not tryin'...that's why God invented frags.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #73
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
I bet that thing kicks like a mule Moira. Sweet looking gun! Here is Kerry and my combined "arsenal"

Oooh, love that BuckMark.
Either that or a Ruger MkII or MkIII are on my list for future purchases.
No collection is complete without a solid .22 pistol.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #74
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
At close quarters, you don't even need reflex sights. Point and shoot from the shoulder work just fine. Tipped with a bayonet, if you run out of ammo, you'd cross the room and stick'em a lot faster than fumbling for a reload or trying to pull out a pistol. At longer distances, the red dots are too big for precision shooting. I see zero benefit for a red dot sight. A short scope like the ACOG is a different story, but to me reflex sights are worthless.

As far as if you're not cheatin', you're not tryin'...that's why God invented frags.

Ever been in CQC? Training or otherwise?
Second, have you ever used a CCO?
The CCO works wonders to help clear a room effectively. Point and shoot works with a shotgun, or a stationary target. Target running on the other side of windows/doorways is more easily taken out with some sight picture.
The ACOG is worthless in the same scenario, as the magnification throws off distance and makes it more difficult to acquire a close rapidly moving target.
It is great, however, for its intended purpose. In the hands of a trained Squad Designated Marksman, a M4/M16 with an ACOG can take out targets at a greater distance without need for a sniper rifle.

Next, collapsible but stock. True, fully extended, it may not be as durable as a solid stock, however, it is not nearly as versatile.
Wearing full battle rattle is very bulky, and todays combat environments are becoming more urban and close quarters orientated. The collapsible but stock gives the warrior more options to make his "tools" fit him/her better. Like they say, the most effective weapon is one that you feel comfortable with and fits you. With a solid stock, it is difficult to get the rifle into firing position while wearing all your gear. Further, when clearing rooms the added length is a hindrance.

These are my opinions. True, I am not "in the shit" per-say, but I have gone through all the same training, and have been dealing with/carrying these weapons for the last 9 months. Take it for what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #75
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

no benefit? With iron sights you have to line up three points: back, front sight, and target with your point of focus being the front sight. With a reflex or holo you only have two points: reticle and target and your focus is at the target. you also keep both eyes open with a cco which helps make picking up targets ungodly fast
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #76
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
ill have to post the izh-35 when i get home lol
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #77
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Forgot to add also, with the red dot not being small enough for long distance targets.
Personally, I can get my red dot finer than the front sight post. Guess you just have shitty eyesight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #78
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Quote:
That buckmark is a BLAST to shoot and super cheap for ammo. I think 550 rounds were $15. I can burn through $15 in less than 5 mins with my 9mm's. The BM has even killed a deer....granted it was at pointblank range to the top of the head (she had been hit by a car and was stugglin bad). .22's are fun.

I'm thinkin about a .22 LR rifle now for target shooting but I would also like to hunt on occation so I'm torn. If I go higher cal. ammo will go up in price like crazy. Wish there was a happy medium.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #79
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Me too!! Extremely fun to plink with - tack-driving accuracy, and you can shoot all day long for a few bucks.

Man, now I want to go play with the bang-sticks - it's been too long...
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #80
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

must be contagious. my better half just went and filled out the papers for her first handgun. just a little Beretta .22. inexpensive to purchase and shoot.

she's already talking about her next one. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote