Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #71
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
My grandfather drove a jeep in WWII..... and got lost in France. Why didn't I get a cool pilot grandfather?
Right!

One of mine was a sailor in WWII and the other was a grunt in Korea.
Luckily I still have both of them and I've gotten to hear some good stories.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #72
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
My grandfather drove a jeep in WWII..... and got lost in France. Why didn't I get a cool pilot grandfather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Right!

One of mine was a sailor in WWII and the other was a grunt in Korea.
Luckily I still have both of them and I've gotten to hear some good stories.
If it makes you feel better, all of my uncles were army grunts. One was a tank driver, who got lost in germany and almost froze to death, then was written up for allowing locals to save him and his crew. One was a medic with a lust for violence, not sure how he ended up trying to HELP people, and the other has since retired from being an Army Ranger and a few other things (and is subsequently a nut, who still has so many things he cant talk about its almost hard to talk to the man!) Also my fave uncle. Gave my first hubby a bullet with his name (literally) on it for a wedding present.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #73
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

haha i love it (the bullet thing)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #74
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
haha i love it (the bullet thing)
Even let him hold the rifle with the ginormous scope that he'd be shooting it from. heh heh heh.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #75
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

My Grampa was 2nd Divison "Hell on Wheels" Armored Infantry. He had some stories to tell. Sicily, up the boot of Italy, weeks with nothing but water and cheese (his constipation story was epic), Finding out he had a son while in a fox hole halfway across the world. He had been a dad all of two weeks and didn't know it. All the way across the Rhine before a female sniper removed his kneecap from a distance. Morphine laced Halftrack ride to freedom, hospiced in England and sent home broke after losing his but in NY. Whatta ride that musta been.

To all who serve!

Back on topic CNN has done an invesitagive story and has decided in its wisdom that the F22 isn't worth the $$ in this eeconomy and that Barack needs to cancel the program, send 36-40000 Northrop employees out of work and reapply those 3-6 Billion in funds as a bandaid for some stimulous. Perhaps to keep GM or Chrysler paying their bills for another 3 months.

Thank God the media are so smart.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #76
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My Grampa was 2nd Divison "Hell on Wheels" Armored Infantry. He had some stories to tell. Sicily, up the boot of Italy, weeks with nothing but water and cheese (his constipation story was epic), Finding out he had a son while in a fox hole halfway across the world. He had been a dad all of two weeks and didn't know it. All the way across the Rhine before a female sniper removed his kneecap from a distance. Morphine laced Halftrack ride to freedom, hospiced in England and sent home broke after losing his but in NY. Whatta ride that musta been.

To all who serve!

Back on topic CNN has done an invesitagive story and has decided in its wisdom that the F22 isn't worth the $$ in this eeconomy and that Barack needs to cancel the program, send 36-40000 Northrop employees out of work and reapply those 3-6 Billion in funds as a bandaid for some stimulous. Perhaps to keep GM or Chrysler paying their bills for another 3 months.

Thank God the media are so smart.
I couldnt have said it better. Jeebus, sometimes you just want to beat people.

Here's a tidbit for the F35 followers...they are slated to head over to this area (Eglin AFB). This area was BUILT around the AF bases (Eglin, Hurlburt, Tyndall), which were here well before the local economy and most of the land here is owned by the govt. A local "town" principality has brought a lawsuit against the AF and Eglin to halt the incoming F35's because they will be "too noisy". Same people who complained about the the old helicopters, F15's and C130's.

Here's a thought. If you dont want to listen to the MILITARY PLANES, and you live in a MILITARY owned area, MOVE THE FUCK OUT.

Makes ya wanna punch babies, huh?!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #77
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

How about when their kids are pinned down in some God forsaken province in Afghanistan, surrounded by RPGs?? Do you think they would ask for an F35 intervention??

No one said you had to live their folks. Me I would welcome it, pull out the lawn chair, pop a brew, and enjoy the show

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #78
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

At least it's only the media saying this. For years (back in the '90s) our military had been saying that our helicopters were knackered and about ready to fall out of the sky. The order was put in for new helicopters, then was cancelled when a new government was elected, because they said that they were too expensive.

They ended up paying cancellation charges and then for the helicopters, when it was discovered that they really WERE needed

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #79
the chi
Forum Coach

Its actually pretty cool living here, but its an accepted part of life for those of us with common sense that we have to listen to fighter jets and bombers and whatever else happens to drop by. Back when they tested the MOAB a few years ago people were all up in arms, but I thought it was nifty. And all those nights when the helicopters rattled my windows, well, its just part of life here. Dumbasses.

PC, thats priceless. And we pay people to be in office to be stupidly retarded. What are we thinking?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #80
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

Here's a thought. If you dont want to listen to the MILITARY PLANES, and you live in a MILITARY owned area, MOVE THE FUCK OUT.

Makes ya wanna punch babies, huh?!
Call me crazy, but I'd take the sexy sounds of high powered aircraft any day to the normal sounds of traffic, lawn equipment, etc.