Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #71
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
look at high blood pressure or diabeties, they usualy are on meds for their entire lives because there is no cure for the problem.

Tom
Hmm yea but those are physical ailments. They don't give the patient drugs to make them "forget about the problem" now do they?

Besides, I thought that if you eat Cherrios your blood pressure problems go away?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #72
Flexin
AMA Supersport

One of my favorite sayings when I was a teen was "Right medication, wrong dosage." Did I mention I had some crazy ass girlfriends?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 AM   #73
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
One of my favorite sayings when I was a teen was "Right medication, wrong dosage." Did I mention I had some crazy ass girlfriends?

James
Bro, we must have been dating cousins or something! I dated 5 girls in a row that were on some mood altering drug! It's ridiculous! In most cases they were put on it as teenagers because they were "acting crazy"... I thought they called that puberty? These parents don't want to deal with it or don't have the time. These doctors throw them on something and get them out of their office. The girl gets to be a drug addict her entire life... Whoopee!

Some of these chicks are non-marriageable! No man can deal with them! I saw an old ex that had parents that put her on ritalin and she later graduated to prozac/paxil/lexapro/etc. She's been married 4 times and she's never had kids. I'm no doctor but most of the chicks that are in this situation, that I know of, don't have kids. I wonder if that has something to do with the drugs?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #74
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hmm yea but those are physical ailments. They don't give the patient drugs to make them "forget about the problem" now do they?

Besides, I thought that if you eat Cherrios your blood pressure problems go away?
Some psych problems are physical too. They could be cause by over or underproduction of certain neurotransmitters, its just that they manifest by a person acting crazy so to speak.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #75
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Some psych problems are physical too. They could be cause by over or underproduction of certain neurotransmitters, its just that they manifest by a person acting crazy so to speak.

Tom
Okay, then why can't there be a definitive test for it then? Why isn't there a test for chemical imbalances?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #76
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Okay, then why can't there be a definitive test for it then? Why isn't there a test for chemical imbalances?
good question. the substanses in question are in trace amounts and are secreted by nerve cells to allow an impulse to travel to the next nerve cell so theyre kinda hard to test for. If a medication works then it can tell you that you may be producing too much or too little of a certain compound.

And thats neurobiology crunched into a small paragraph. This is still on eof the final fronteirs of research since theyre still not sure how a person thinks, how we learn, or remember. there is some that is known about certain psych disorders so its a start.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #77
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Having taken care of hundreds of depressed patients... Having revived failed suicide attempts, having patients admitted for suicidal thoughts, lame over doses, having lots friends commit suicide....

I have to say I reserve my judgment and compassion on a case basis.

I don't think all suicides are the "easy" was out depending on what a person was going through prior to the successful act. Even though I "think" I know or knew what they were going through, I really have no idea. I can only assume.

A lot of people suffer in silence. And, for those I know that have committed suicide, they got their shit in order and did it in complete, non-messy ways.

And the aftermath on their family, friends does suck. But these people were lovely, kind, considerate, wonderful people. And to hurt that much that you'd take your own life - perhaps thinking it's better for everyone, well.... I don't know how that is "easy".

I've been unhappy at time in my life. I think I suffered from mild depressive moments for a few months at a time, but I could always function. Perhaps we all have. Even though I felt despair, I could reason my way out of those situations. I've always had a great life, but it's impressive how your emotions and feelings can take over. And when you hurt, you hurt. Some people hurt more than others, and I guess they can't see their way out.

I dunno. Suicide is an awful thing no matter how we try to justify it.

Too many unanswered questions with an all to final ending.

Kirsty
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #78
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

^^^^^^ Well said.

I wasn't talking about the "woe is me, I don't know what to do" people, I was talking more of the mentally unbalanced. Those are the ones that need compassion.

If it comes down to it, I have my plan, it won't be messy, and everyone will be taken care of.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #79
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
So what meds are you on, if any, and do you see a therapist? If the answer is no to both of these, then your life must be miserable.

But wait. You're planning a wonderful wedding with the man of your dreams. So the depression must be manageable and accepted by your intended.

Not being a bitch, just asking what your level of tolerance is. Some people feel bad enough to end their lives, others get help or just live with it.
To answer your question, I've been on several, including ones that they now know are a leading cause of suicides in people.

I have seen therapists, a few times, I ended that when they told me I needed to "find my inner child" and a few other choice phrases they like to use.

I've been told by a husband that its "all in my head" as well.

I firmly beleive that I dont need to be medicated or see someone tell me nothing about anything to deal with my depression.

I dont have a problem with people using medication or seeing a therapist for their problems, but I am very much a "suckit up and deal" kind of person. There have been times in my life I didnt think Id make it through another hour, let alone a day, and yet despite my depression I have neven given in to my weaker impulses killed myself or really tried it. (Note I didnt say I hadnt thought about it.)

I refuse to allow my depression to rule my life or interfere. Sounds crazy, and I am, but I know when I am getting an onset, and I take steps that work for me to get through life.

Not everyone can do it, I understand that, and I hold nothing against anyone who does what they need to do. But giving in, being too weak to deal, IMO only is not the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Don't get me wrong Fleck, in most cases, I think suicide is only the answer, because you're asking the wrong question.

Yes, the world is indeed a crappy place. Things don't always go as planned, and people aren't as happy as they would like to be.

If living well is the best revenge, then living at all is a close second. Remember this, you can be just as poor at the beach, as you can in KC...

JC
This is a great, worth quoting.

Quote:
^^^^^^ Well said.

I wasn't talking about the "woe is me, I don't know what to do" people, I was talking more of the mentally unbalanced. Those are the ones that need compassion.

If it comes down to it, I have my plan, it won't be messy, and everyone will be taken care of.

Medical cases like undeniable mental "crazy" is not the same as depression. At all.

And your "plan" isnt going to make those you leave behind any less sad, angry or bereaved.

Killing oneself is a selfish form of getting away. Not being mean Fleck, just stating how I see it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #80
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
So do I. I call it "natural causes and a will."

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote