Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #81
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
...And I'll even tell you why it's pointless: Sure, it's a penis extension, but compare it to others, like a car, or a bike, or some tech shit:

Car: Transportation, utility, prestige...and depending on model; thrills.
Bike: Transportation, utility, prestige...and depending on model; thrills.
Tech: Convenience, entertainment, utility, prestige.
Watch: Tells time.

I couldn't bring myself to add "prestige" to the watch description, sorry. I just see it as such an anachronism anymore; everything has a fucking clock it in today.

It's just pissing money. It makes as much sense as yacht racing.

We think alike.
I don't see why you can't add prestige to a watch. Yes you can get clocks in cars, wall of the corner store, store receipt, ATM bank slip, hell I can put numbers on my stomach and legs and use my dick as a sun dail. A Vespa will do all the basic things a GSXR1000 will do. But to some the GSXR1000 looks better. Some would never touch them and ridea HD. Others might say fuck them all and hug a tree.

Some watches are just built better, look nicer and so on.

And some people are putting up some really nice watches but what they don't realise is those are styles that they like. Not what Tigger likes.

For me I haven't wore a watch much in the last couple of years. When I opened the detail shop I would take it off while detailing cars. I would set it by the shop computer. Many days I would forget it when I went home. This would piss me off and my arm would feel naked. After a while I just stopped wearing it to the shop. All that time I used my phone as a clock. After closing the shop I went back into construction so I wouldn't wear my watch because I didn't want to break it. My most expensive watch is about $60-80. I have never owned more then one working watch at a time.

There are some watches that make me drool. One was a Citizens dive watch. And now that I think of it there was another Citizen watch which might have been a dive watch as well. They were $500-1000. Its not the price that made me like the watch its the look. It just had the look that I wanted. If I find that in a cheaper watch I would grab it.

As far Yacht racing. Its another form of racing. Whats not to understand?

And I like boats. And can't a boat have the same list that you provided for cars? (Transportation, utility, prestige...and depending on model; thrills.)

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #82
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Moto: 2003 honda CBR 954/ 2011 Road King classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I don't see why you can't add prestige to a watch. A Vespa will do all the basic things a GSXR1000 will do.
I was with ya except for the Vespa thing not even fnflman's aprilla can be grouped with the gxsr much less any sportbike
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #83
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default My Tim Allen-esque answer...

Quote:
As far Yacht racing. Its another form of racing. Whats not to understand?
Because it's gay. The best way to illustrate exactly why it's gay, is to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1msWy...eature=related

See? This is what we'll call non-gay boat racing [ie: you can actually hurt/kill yourself at it].

As for the watches, of course I was being a wiseass.

I appreciate a nice watch as much as most do, I suspect. I do think it's a pointless thing to be too "into", however.

Having among the best in anything is wonderful...but it's all relative. I just think there's better ways to blow money, that's all.

Like 250K? Nah, I can't see going there, no matter how much fucking money I had.

That kinda digit buys too many cool bikes, and more than a couple nice cars.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #84
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Because it's gay. The best way to illustrate exactly why it's gay, is to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1msWy...eature=related

See? This is what we'll call non-gay boat racing [ie: you can actually hurt/kill yourself at it].

As for the watches, of course I was being a wiseass.

I appreciate a nice watch as much as most do, I suspect. I do think it's a pointless thing to be too "into", however.

Having among the best in anything is wonderful...but it's all relative. I just think there's better ways to blow money, that's all.

Like 250K? Nah, I can't see going there, no matter how much fucking money I had.

That kinda digit buys too many cool bikes, and more than a couple nice cars.

I like the video you posted and have watched that on tv before. And I have seen them crash. I think that sport is crazy and I enjoy watching it. But you can die in yacht racing as well. I think there is a better chance for dying in yacht racing then in the racing in the video you posted.

250K on a watch is crazy but if there wasn't a market I don't think they would make it. But for me it would really have to do something amazing or just have drop dead looks AND I would have to be making a few million a month to even think about it. Even then I don't know if I would do it. Do you know how many lap dances I could get on half price night with $250K? I could have the lap wore out of a few pants.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #85
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
But you can die in yacht racing as well. I think there is a better chance for dying in yacht racing then in the racing in the video you posted.
How?? Of boredom, waiting for someone to light a fucking engine so some real racing can start?

Quote:
Do you know how many lap dances I could get on half price night with $250K? I could have the lap wore out of a few pants.

James
That's what I meant...priorities...

Last edited by Avatard; 11-29-2008 at 01:05 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #86
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Heres a pretty cool yacht racing vid I just found on you tube. Looks physically demanding and pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PpU8MUbHE
Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #87
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Aren't watches kind of a thing of the past now? If I need to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #88
Carolina
Says it's time to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Aren't watches kind of a thing of the past now? If I need to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone
Everyone keeps saying that but as a professional you can't always whip out the cell. It look rude and is distracting. A quick glance at your watch will be less noticed than taking the cell out.

in saying all that, yes I use my cell I rarely ever wear a watch
Old 11-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #89
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Hey, you wanna come out tonight?

Naw, man, I'm changing the belt IN MY FUCKIN' WATCH!

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #90
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

I think watches have just become man jewelry... I hope you all feel as pretty in your watches as your girl does in her new diamond earrings

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote