Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000
Default Selling/buying a house - do you care what colors the walls are either way?

So my husband and I are going to be carrying 2 houses here pretty soon for a good amount of money each month. We are moving into our new house at the end of next week and are busy trying to get the never ending list of "stuff" accomplished with this one so we can get it on the market.

My hubby is in the military and I have an infant which makes getting things done in a timely and money sensitive matter difficult at times. As much as we don't want to, we are going to get this house painted by professionals in prep to sell. We don't have really extreme colours, and our realtor is suggesting we paint all the walls "bland beige".

So my question is, has it mattered to you as a buyer/seller if a house is all one color on the inside? It will be easy to paint over for the next person, a clean slate.... But has it turned anyone off when looking for a house when there is zero personality in the house in terms of colour?

We're going to have minimal furniture in each room, no art work, and just window coverings/plants.

??????
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I would rather have it a "bland" color than a real extreme color I don't like.

Beige/white/tan walls a person can deal with for awhile as they get it arranged how they want it.
A crazy or ugly color could cost a sale. I looked at a house where the whole upstairs was painted a calf shit green. It would have had to have been repainted before I would even think about it, and the owners refused.

I don't think all the rooms have to be the same color, as some change is good, but nothing real outrageous. Some dark reds, tans, whites, etc are fine IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

For me it does not matter if I'm the buyer, because i can change the colors etc. My wife disagrees though. Only if the house had some god awful wallpapering would I have 2nd doubts just because I might not feel like putting in the work to remove it, but it would boil down to how good of a deal I'm getting on the house and if the other features of the house outweighed the wallpaper.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Doesn't matter to me. Wife and I would paint to suit any way.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

A classy paint job using moderate designer colors can really make a house look great. But "classy" is the key word.

Given two identical floorplans, if one is tastefully decorated with some personality, I'll be more inclined to buy it over the beige one.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I'm not an expert but there are colors that make rooms "look" bigger.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

As a single buyer I have walked away from houses because of color. I'd like to think I would just paint it and be done but I guess I'm just lazy and would prefer to repaint only if I want to not because I have to.
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I don't care, as long as it's not wallpaper.

But, the public has no imagination. They will judge a house based on the couch that they aren't getting with the sale.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

It probably doesn't really matter as long as the colors you choose aren't extreme. For whatever reason bland as in white or off white walls seem to sell better. I guess as mentioned people can deal with these colors better until they can paint the walls to suit them. White looks bright and clean if nothing else.

Walls painted different colors will appeal to people that happen to like the colors that you choose of course.

As long as you don't go extreme with your color it probably shouldn't matter that much imho.

I agree that wallpaper is more of a concern since it's harder for the new buyer to deal with.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I don't care, as long as it's not wallpaper.

But, the public has no imagination. They will judge a house based on the couch that they aren't getting with the sale.
This. Especially after a twelve hour wallpaper removal job. And yes, many of you are like me. If I don't like it, I'll change it. However, the vast majority of the public wouldn't know how to paint a room much less have the initiative to do their own projects.