Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory
Default for homeslice: fiat abarth 500

lol

"With Fiat's little 500 subcompact officially heading our way in the near future, we're taking a greater interest in the tuner market for what could be one heck of a hot hatch. Sure, the base 500 engine that we're likely to see - a 100-hp, 1.4 liter mill - isn't much to write home about, but we're already drooling over the 135-hp, 152 lb-ft turbocharged Abarth version. And before you chime in that 135 ponies isn't a lot of power these days, remember that the 500 only weighs 2200 lbs.

Still, there's always room for improvement, and German tuner company Karl Schnorr Kraftfahrzeuge has taken that phrase to heart. Schnorr shares more than just a derivative of Abarth founder Carlo Abarth's first name. He also shares a passion for making small, modestly powered cars go really fast. At first the Karl Schnorr 500 Abarth could be just another tarted-up Cinquecento, what with its red OZ Seria Rossa 17-in. wheels, additional red stripes, red side mirror covers, and lowered stance. But there's a lot more to it underneath.

Sixty-five more, to be precise. That's how much more horsepower the 5050-euro ($7218) 'Power Level 2' 200-hp Schnorr-tuned 500 Abarth makes over the standard version, courtesy of a remapped ECU, larger turbocharger, and sports exhaust system. Not quite ready for that big of a gain? Try the 'Power Level 1' kit and get 28 more ponies (163 hp) for just 950 euros ($1358). Just want your 500 Abarth to be a little more aggressive in the corners? Schnorr will also sell you a coilover suspension kit for 1270 euros ($1815) including installation.

Still, there may be something to be said for the 500 Abarth even in its standard 135-hp guise. After all, as Paul Horrell said regarding our First Drive of the pint-sized runabout, "I love the Abarth. These days, 500 hp has become the sports-car entry ticket. But when can you use that much? The Abarth reminds us the there's a lot to be said for taking a small terrier of a car and driving the door handles off it."

Source: Karl Schnorr Kraftfahzeuge "

2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So that thing is coming here? I predict failure. Sure it must be fun to drive, but it looks major fail, especially the rear end. There are plenty of other hatches in Europe that look 10 times better.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So that thing is coming here? I predict failure. Sure it must be fun to drive, but it looks major fail, especially the rear end. There are plenty of other hatches in Europe that look 10 times better.
Feck no!
I would rock one, especially an abarth.
Although, with only 135hp, it would be weak. My Elantra has 140hp, and only weighs 400lbs more, and is not that great. I think the 163hp version would be tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAFi9nIJVQ

163hp and faster than an Elise. yummy

Last edited by karl_1052; 08-26-2009 at 09:14 AM..
karl_1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

<- still wants to see an abarth challenger
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

163 hp is more than my Ranger had and I could have some real fun with that little truck. And this thing "could" make 200 hp if you pay enough?! I'd rock it 'til it fell apart and then put it back together again.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
So that thing is coming here? I predict failure. Sure it must be fun to drive, but it looks major fail, especially the rear end.
The rear end looks like a Mini, and they sell the hell out of those

The price point is going to determine win or lose, IMO.

Personally, in a solid color, yank the enormous badges, chop out the grill a bit so you've got a big mouth full of shark teeth.... that'd be a blast.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Like I've always said, I grew up driving these size of cars, so I'll probably put it on my shopping list, but I doubt it'll sell very well because here in America you've got the whole "that's gay" attitude against cars like this.

Not to mention that the rear end of that thing looks too much like a PT Cruiser......Couldn't they get a little more creative?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Like I've always said, I grew up driving these size of cars, so I'll probably put it on my shopping list, but I doubt it'll sell very well because here in America you've got the whole "that's gay" attitude against cars like this.

Not to mention that the rear end of that thing looks too much like a PT Cruiser......Couldn't they get a little more creative?
That's gay sold a hell of a lot of Minis, Cabriolets, PT Cruisers, and Miatas over the last 20+ years.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

Concerning cars like this I don't think it is a "that's gay" attitude. I would have been very interested in a Cooper S. Too bad it starts at $25k and weighs half a ton more than the original. BMW turned it gay.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Fix it again tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote