Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Default whats inside a cup of coffee?

Caffeine
This is why the world produces more than 16 billion pounds of coffee beans per year. It's actually an alkaloid plant toxin (like nicotine and cocaine), a bug killer that stimulates us by blocking neuroreceptors for the sleep chemical adenosine. The result: you, awake.
Water
Hot H2O is a super solvent, leaching flavors and oils out of the coffee bean. A good cup of joe is 98.75 percent water and 1.25 percent soluble plant matter. Caffeine is a diuretic, so coffee newbies pee out the water quickly; java junkies build up resistance.
2-Ethylphenol
Creates a tarlike, medicinal odor in your morning wake-up. It's also a component of cockroach alarm pheromones, chemical signals that warn the colony of danger.
Quinic acid
Gives coffee its slightly sour flavor. On the plus side, it's one of the starter chemicals in the formulation of Tamiflu.
3,5 Dicaffeoylquinic acid
When scientists pretreat neurons with this acid in the lab, the cells are significantly (though not completely) protected from free-radical damage. Yup: Coffee is a good source of antioxidants.
Dimethyl disulfide
A product of roasting the green coffee bean, this compound is just at the threshold of detectability in brewed java. Good thing, too, as it's one of the compounds that gives human feces its odor.
Acetylmethylcarbinol
That rich, buttery taste in your daily jolt comes in part from this flammable yellow liquid, which helps give real butter its flavor and is a component of artificial flavoring in microwave popcorn.
Putrescine
Ever wonder what makes spoiled meat so poisonous? Here you go. Ptomaines like putrescine are produced when E. coli bacteria in the meat break down amino acids. Naturally present in coffee beans, it smells, as you might guess from the name, like Satan's outhouse.
Trigonelline
Chemically, it's a molecule of niacin with a methyl group attached. It breaks down into pyridines, which give coffee its sweet, earthy taste and also prevent the tooth-eating bacterium Streptococcus mutans from attaching to your teeth. Coffee fights the Cavity Creeps.
Niacin
Trigonelline is unstable above 160 degrees F; the methyl group detaches, unleashing the niacin—vitamin B3—into your cup. Two or three espressos can provide half your recommended daily allowance.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Good thing I don't drink coffee.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Yumm, pass the pot of steaming hot black liquid goodness known as my morning cuppa joe please...

Whatcha gonna do with that???

Last edited by Cruzergirl; 10-07-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: I don't toke. :-l
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzergirl View Post
Yumm, pass the pot please...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
Dimethyl disulfide
A product of roasting the green coffee bean, this compound is just at the threshold of detectability in brewed java. Good thing, too, as it's one of the compounds that gives human feces its odor.
So people who don't drink coffee think their shit doesn't stink?

JC
Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I left my last cup at home this morning. FML.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

black gold
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
CasterTroy

Damn...all this time I just thought it was my BRAND of coffee that sucked

Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Coffee, like cigarrettes, is one of those things that people pick up only because they were trying to act like an adult.......not because they thought it tasted good. I mean seriously, how many of you thought it tasted good when you were 13 yrs old?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Coffee, like cigarrettes, is one of those things that people pick up only because they were trying to act like an adult.......not because they thought it tasted good. I mean seriously, how many of you thought it tasted good when you were 13 yrs old?
The same could be said about beer.