Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R
Default Pit Help.

Ok Pit Owners, I need some advice and what to look for as far as problems and such with a Pit. I rescued a Pit Mix...looks small, beagle or lab? He was tied to a rope about an inch and a half around, beaten(broken ribs and sore legs) and severely malnurished. He chewed thru the rope and was wandering, he was finally picked up by the lady that works with my wife, eating garbage thrown from cars on a busy stretch of highway. He was taken to the vet, malnurished, worms...very skittish. He seems to be very playful, behaved and gets along with other dogs(waiting to see how he gets along with the king...our Min-Pin). He was an outside dog, the girls want to see if he can be housebroken, they want a guard dog. Any advice? He is about 9 months and a brindle coloring with brown eyes and natural ears. Pics later. Thanks.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Ok Pit Owners, I need some advice and what to look for as far as problems and such with a Pit.
Ok, first things first. Get an easy-up, keep kids out of your pit, and be very careful with extra bits of safety wire, it can kill your slicks.

Quote:
I rescued a Pit Mix...looks small, beagle or lab? He was tied to a rope about an inch and a half around, beaten(broken ribs and sore legs) and severely malnurished. He chewed thru the rope and was wandering, he was finally picked up by the lady that works with my wife, eating garbage thrown from cars on a busy stretch of highway. He was taken to the vet, malnurished, worms...very skittish. He seems to be very playful, behaved and gets along with other dogs(waiting to see how he gets along with the king...our Min-Pin). He was an outside dog, the girls want to see if he can be housebroken, they want a guard dog. Any advice? He is about 9 months and a brindle coloring with brown eyes and natural ears. Pics later. Thanks.
Oh. Nevermind that last part. Well, except for the part about kids. That still applies.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 10-09-2009 at 08:09 AM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

That sounds like a very bad place to start with any dog. You'll have to be really careful and watch for his trigger. You never know when he will attack someone because they remind him of bad times.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I don't have any experience with rescue dogs, but I did read an article on MSN today about dog bites and insurance that you may or may not find useful.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...krupt-you.aspx
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
That sounds like a very bad place to start with any dog. You'll have to be really careful and watch for his trigger. You never know when he will attack someone because they remind him of bad times.
Well, over the last two days he has seen all manner of people, as he was kept at the trailer supply shop my wife works at. They walked him past the shop that abused him and the workers just looked away and the dog looked as he walked by like it was familiar, but no growling or snarling. The vet says he is afraid, but shows no signs of aggression at all. I am aware of the disposition of abused animals, but with him being barely 9 months old, the vet said that living in a loving atmosphere with plenty of attention, he may not show aggression unless he is injured(like most animals anyways). He will be well cared for, big house, big yard, lots of playtime, a little dog(who is pissed to find he is no longer the alpha male) and we have a play date for him to meet with some other dogs and see how he gets along with them.

And AMJ...My kids help me with the pit...My daughter sprays the hose and my son lowers the basket....LoL..."Daddy is making a lady suit kids...who wants to help?"LOL

Last edited by TommyHotWheel; 10-09-2009 at 01:00 AM..
Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I'm sure he can be housebroken. Pits are smart, you can probably get him trained in a couple of days. Are you going to install a doggy door? You can always crate train him first. I don't know about using him as a guard dog given what has happened to him, but he would probably be somewhat protective anyway. I think you should focus on healing him first. Poor dog, I'm glad he found a good home.

Can you press charges on the shop for animal abuse? Its is a crime I believe.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

He is being crate trained as we speak. There are no records or proof that the shop had him. I wish there were. He is very small also, just about knee height, and I am 5'10", I thought pits were bigger, his paws are small too. We are slowly introducing him to the house and his name is Vladimir.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

He was treated terribly. I dont know how people do that to animals. Glad he found a good home. I hope everything works out for you and the dog.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
"Daddy is making a lady suit kids...who wants to help?"

JC
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Leon
WERA Yellow Plate

Tommy, Props to you for rescuing the puppy. Pits are smart and he should take to crate/house trainging with no problem. Don't know about the guard dog part. Every Pit I've ever been around is a total mush. Ours would roll over to have his belly rubbed then show you where the safe is.