Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R
Default Death of Cable Television.

So there is a new update for Xbox 360's releasing sometime in the next few days, In short...It's adding More ways to watch TV via your Xbox. They have a whole list of Contracts with Big name companies (Some not releasing until later this year or early next year) HBOGo, Comcast, Verizion, UFC PPV's etc etc are all listed as whats coming in the future.

Most of them require you to have a subscription to use I.E. You cant use HBOGO if you dont have HBO through your cable provider. But I do honestly feel like it's a big step in the direction of technology.

My question is, Do any of you NOT have Cable? I know almost every show I watch I can stream online through the network website. And of course there is the possibility to Download them if need be. My biggest drawback for not seeking alternative options is Live sports and in HD. I know they have Stuff like the MLB At Bat you can buy every season but they blackout the local teams, and NFL Redzone I can stream on my phone/computer. But it's just easier for me to watch it on my TV Live and in HD instead of trying to haggle my way through secondary applications and streaming them via computer/phone.

Do you think Cable TV will ever fall to the wayside and be overtaken by an online streaming type of service? I think the pricing incentives are there for something different...I pay almost 100$ a month for internet and Cable and would LOVE to cut my expenses if possible.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
So there is a new update for Xbox 360's releasing sometime in the next few days, In short...It's adding More ways to watch TV via your Xbox. They have a whole list of Contracts with Big name companies (Some not releasing until later this year or early next year) HBOGo, Comcast, Verizion, UFC PPV's etc etc are all listed as whats coming in the future.

Most of them require you to have a subscription to use I.E. You cant use HBOGO if you dont have HBO through your cable provider. But I do honestly feel like it's a big step in the direction of technology.

My question is, Do any of you NOT have Cable? I know almost every show I watch I can stream online through the network website. And of course there is the possibility to Download them if need be. My biggest drawback for not seeking alternative options is Live sports and in HD. I know they have Stuff like the MLB At Bat you can buy every season but they blackout the local teams, and NFL Redzone I can stream on my phone/computer. But it's just easier for me to watch it on my TV Live and in HD instead of trying to haggle my way through secondary applications and streaming them via computer/phone.

Do you think Cable TV will ever fall to the wayside and be overtaken by an online streaming type of service? I think the pricing incentives are there for something different...I pay almost 100$ a month for internet and Cable and would LOVE to cut my expenses if possible.
Um bro....ever hear of an antenna?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Seriously, I lived off Netflix, Hulu, network websites, ESPN.com, sports bars, a set top ant, etc for months. Quite frankly, every month I wonder what I'm thinking paying Dish network considering how little TV I actually watch.... It's truly amazing just how much entertainment can be had for free.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I'm seriously considering it. I've been paying 160 for phone cable internet. I can get a cell phone for next to nothing and have decent fibre op at a fair price, what's the use of cable? Background noise is about all I use it for these days.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I haven't had cable in over 2 years. It started as a thing where I just couldn't afford it. Once a little more money started coming in, I just couldn't justify the costs. I catch a few programs at my friend's house, but when we're just hanging about and vegetating, channel surfing makes me miserable. He's got some super deluxe cable package that he's paying almost 200 for and there's not a fucking thing worth watching most of the time.

I've been quite happy using Netflix (even with the rate hike), Amazon Video Streaming (yay Prime!), and the little AppleTV box I've got. I've been thinking about getting a Roku box to get the UFC content and maybe trying out Hulu Plus. For the stuff that I like, there are enough alternatives out there to make cable a no go for me.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Seriously, I lived off Netflix, Hulu, network websites, ESPN.com, sports bars, a set top ant, etc for months. Quite frankly, every month I wonder what I'm thinking paying Dish network considering how little TV I actually watch.... It's truly amazing just how much entertainment can be had for free.
Agree. I havent had cable in 6 years. Antenna here.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Fuck cable.
For internet I use a portable hotspot I can take anywhere.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Fuck cable.
For internet I use a portable hotspot I can take anywhere.
Is it 4G/LTE? Do you run into caps or overages? I've been looking at the Verizon LTE MiFi stuff, but going over the cap would be horrifically expensive.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Is it 4G/LTE? Do you run into caps or overages? I've been looking at the Verizon LTE MiFi stuff, but going over the cap would be horrifically expensive.
Yeah it's Verizon. Last I checked it was $80 for 10GB, and $50 for 5GB (plus $10 per gig over 5). But lots of employers are on their discount list, like mine, so I get a 20% discount off those prices.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Yeah it's Verizon. Last I checked it was $80 for 10GB, and $50 for 5GB (plus $10 per gig over 5). But lots of employers are on their discount list, like mine, so I get a 20% discount off those prices.
I get a discount through work also, which would be nice. Do you stream a lot? Have you come close to hitting your cap? Do you use it heavily? I'm paying $50/month for garbage ATT DSL. Any opportunity to ditch their shit service is welcome, but I don't want to get something only to get kicked in the dick on overages.