Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr
Default GPS for car

So I'm thinking about a GPS for Xmas but don't know much about them. I'm not looking to install anything in my dash. Just something for the windsheild or to mount on top of the dash. I definitely want spoken directions. And a budget of $200. Do you guys have any good ones to recommend?
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I own both a TomTom and a Magellan, and either of them are a good buy in my opinion, in fact you really cant go wrong with any f the big name GPS units, they almost all give spoken directions, and as long as the maps are newish you should never have a problem.

Any GPS that you buy for $200 is gonna be fairly basic, it will get you from point to point with no problems. The real cost comes when you want the extras, music player, sd card expansion, bluetooth, all that type of stuff.

The magellan I currently own is on sale at amazon refurbished for $100, it has most of the features of higher end units costing 3 and 4 hundred. All i did was to find a pirated set of the updated maps and I was set.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Garmin Nuvi series GPS units do very well, a 260 series will fit your needs nicely. I borrowed a friends unit once, and it was REALLY nice. they give great directions, although I couldnt hear it, but I attribute that to having both the windows down and a wicked wheel bearing humming from the car.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibocc View Post
So I'm thinking about a GPS for Xmas but don't know much about them. I'm not looking to install anything in my dash. Just something for the windsheild or to mount on top of the dash. I definitely want spoken directions. And a budget of $200. Do you guys have any good ones to recommend?
I did some research when I got mine, but that was around 2 years ago. Things might have changed but everywhere I looked said that Garmin had the best maps and route calculation software. You shouldn't have any problem finding a Garmin Nuvi for under $200 that fits your needs. Getting one with the 4.3 inch widescreen will not be a problem. Shop the sales and you should also be able to get bluetooth (caller ID on the screen and ability to answer and dial calls from the unit assuming you have a bluetooth phone) and real time traffic capability (at a monthly cost) if you want them.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Best Buy is gonna have the Garmin 205w for $99 on black friday.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Best Buy is gonna have the Garmin 205w for $99 on black friday.
They will also have the 255WT (traffic, widescreen) for $129 with free lifetime traffic updates.

They have the 265WT (traffic, widescreen, bluetooth) for under $200 right now, also with free lifetime traffic updates.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

we've got the Garmin Nuvi 260w and love it. My parents and a couple friends have the same one, and have all been thrilled with it. Check Best Buy black friday specials for great deals on it.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickibocc View Post
I just bought a Motorola TN30 from Radio Shack for $129 on clearance. It has bluetooth and all the bells and whistles so we'll see how it goes...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Yeah I mean I know I don't have a huge budget but I don't care about all the bells and whistles. I don't want an in-dash one because I'm planning on hopefully getting a new car in the near future so I just don't want the headache of installation and taking it out and possibly not working with the new car and things, a portable one will be fine. And because I'm not doing in dash, i don't care about backup cameras, ipod interface or things like that. Just the navigation and the bluetooth would be a bonus.

i think jarv and I will go to best buy and play around with them this week to see which one i like.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

really like our Garmin Nuvi, can't go wrong w/ that lineup.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote