Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Scala rider G4 headset lets bikers be heard

This might be cool:

http://www.gizmag.com/scala-rider-g4/14051/
Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Would definitely be nice to have something like that when riding with friends.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Don't Hokie and Kerry have those?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I bought a set of the Scala Q2 for Carolina and I. Haven't had a chance to try them out other than demo at the cycle show, but I was very impressed with them. Enough so to buy them on the spot.

I will definitely report back once we have a chance to use them!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I think they had the older set...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Their's are Scala's not sure of the model. I know I called Kathy one evening and was talking with her for 5 minutes before she said something about going down the road...it sounded like she was sitting at home, I couldn't hear a bit of noise. I'll be getting Scala when I get an intercom setup.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Their's are Scala's not sure of the model. I know I called Kathy one evening and was talking with her for 5 minutes before she said something about going down the road...it sounded like she was sitting at home, I couldn't hear a bit of noise. I'll be getting Scala when I get an intercom setup.
Yea we'll have to test out my J&M set up this year.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Yeah, we have the Q2's. Not perfect - sometimes the intercom 'garbles' transmission, there's a little delay with the bluetooth which can be annoying when using the GPS, and the controls aren't very intuitive (have to memorize button press/hold sequences & what the flash patterns mean). BUT, all-in-all they work amazingly well and are a really nice enhancement to riding w/ a buddy (as long as we don't let ourselves get crabby & bitch at each other... ). The sound-quality/noise-rejection is phenomenal - easily carry on a clear conversation (including cell phone) as long as the speed is under 70 or so!

I'll curious to see some real-world reviews on the new ones, but I recall reading a bit a few months ago & it sounded like they may be a big improvement on an already-great product!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
Yeah, we have the Q2's. Not perfect - sometimes the intercom 'garbles' transmission, there's a little delay with the bluetooth which can be annoying when using the GPS, and the controls aren't very intuitive (have to memorize button press/hold sequences & what the flash patterns mean). BUT, all-in-all they work amazingly well and are a really nice enhancement to riding w/ a buddy (as long as we don't let ourselves get crabby & bitch at each other... ). The sound-quality/noise-rejection is phenomenal - easily carry on a clear conversation (including cell phone) as long as the speed is under 70 or so!

I'll curious to see some real-world reviews on the new ones, but I recall reading a bit a few months ago & it sounded like they may be a big improvement on an already-great product!

Yea I read some stuff on them when I was buying my J&M get up. According to the reviews, the new piece basically eliminates all or most of the complaints surrounding the old units and allows you to speak to multiple riders at the same time. I personally don't like the unit on the side of my helmet concept, didn't want to deal with batteries and I needed something that was compatible with my Valentine 1, GPS, MP3 player, phone, etc. Oh and I'm with you on talking to S.O.s while riding...NO THANKS! It's either bitching or "Oh look at _____________(who cares what on the side of the road )
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've been running with an older Motorola headset in my helmet that works fairly well:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...balObjectId=75

Only thing is, it can't switch between intercom mode and phone/gps mode without flipping a tiny switch on the internal unit (the unit itself sits in a waterproof casing that mounts to the helmet). I also soldered a headphone jack on so I was able to plug my sound isolating ear buds into it (the speaker that came with it was absolutely horible). As well as it works though, I have been looking around for a better replacement unit that can switch from application to application so I'm definitely interested in hearing about real-world reviews!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote