Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA
Default For you pistol nuts

I know, I know - holy crap a thread by Method. I'm a huge lurker these days, but pretty rarely post, much less create a thread.

Way I figure it, a bunch of you guys are huge gun buffs, and I happen to be in the market for advice and a couple of pistols.

I know it's all about personal preference, and I still need to go down to a few ranges and rent the guns I'm interested in, but want to come prepared not only with my selections, but some of your suggestions as well.

I'm looking for a plinker for the range, likely chambered in either 22, 9mm or 25. I'm leaning towards 9mm since it can be a great home defense pistol for my wife and serve as a dual purpose as my (and hers) range plinker.

I'm also in the market for a pistol mainly for home defense, with the option of CC. Not interested in a shotgun, though I know those can be ideal, pending the type of house. I'm looking for something chambered likely in 38, 40 or possibly 45 acp. This will probably vary based on how well the gun shoots and what feels the most comfortable.

What I'm currently planning on shooting and looking at are:

Sig P226 and P229. I like the extra barrel length on the 226, but like the slightly smaller size option for CC with the P229.
Sprinfield XD40
Glock 40

Budget is going to be around 600-800 per pistol, not including accessories.

There are a TON of other guns and gun makers out there. Any suggestions?
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Home defense and plinking usually don't mix.

For home defense either get the shortess legal shotty or a .45. For plinking get a 9mm. I don't see .22 a good plinking round for practice since the kick is so much less than a center fired round. Not saying .22 isn't fun to shoot I just wouldn't it would be good to practice with, get used to it, then be a completely different world when it's time to use a bigger round and be thrown off guard by the kick.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

If you're getting more than one, you could always go for the 22lr Sig Mosquito.
While it doesn't kick like a larger round, it'd help you develop the necessary comfort with the common Sig frame. They're less than $300.

There are also .22 conversion kits for Glocks, I know... maybe for the XD too.
That would make it economical to shoot regularly but allow you to simply swap some parts to get your defense capability in a weapon you're comfortable with.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

I love my XD.
Need to get off of all these flood duty's so I can start shooting again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I love my XD.
Need to get off of all these flood duty's so I can start shooting again.
This. Even though mine is the 9 and not the 40.

I generally stay away from Glocks. I have shot 3, have hated 2, and the other was only meh. Even the work issued 17 had multiple mis-feeds. Scary shit. I know you can run them over, sink them in water, and pour sand down the barrel and they say they still shoot, but I'll stick to other brands.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

When Elmer Kieth (famous gun journalist ) was asked if a .22 was a good defense weapon he responded "Beats the hell out of your fingernails!" The two strengths of a .22 are ammo costs $.03 per round and ease of use . The minimal recoil and relativity mild report make this a very easy round to practice with. I have a more than a few calibers to choose from when I shoot but the venerable .22 gets the most use for just those reasons. Here in my relatively rural setting (to have a house here you it has to be on 5 acres) I have fired 10 of thousand of .22 with no complaints from my neighbors, including the my next door neighbor who is our police chief. As far as defense goes, with good shot placement a .22 will do, the lack of significant recoil makes a follow up shot much easier in indoor settings over penetration risk is greatly minimized (a round through a wall and into a unintended target)
A good choice in .22 is the good old Ruger Mk 2 there are lots of other choices but the Ruger is well known reasonably priced and reliable.
Personally I would stay away from a .25 the ammo is expensive with no significant improvement of the the .22
The 9mm is a good round with ammo costs reasonable $21 for a box of ball I think. Recoil is easily managed, the report is is significant so firing discreetly without can is difficult and this may limit casual plinking options. Meaning practice sessions may require a trip to the range rather than the back yard. The 9 has a fair record as a man stopper and its big selling point has always been magazine capacity in ban states you get 10 rounds. That's 4 more than the good old reliable .38 revolver ( a weapon with the same stopping power , much more reliable than a semi, generally more accurate and is far less finicky about ammo choice ) When my wife carries a 9 mm she loves her Walther P99 (but she usually has carries her S&W .38 air-weight) when I carry a 9mm is is an XD Sub Compact . Glocks are good and I have carried with good reliability a couple variations of the CZ 75 in 9mm.
I hope this helps, but I will mention yet again if you are going to buy a gun practice with it as often as you can, think about the things that will limit that practice. If it is likely that you practice time is going to be less than once a month , think seriously about a Double Action revolver. Incredibly easy to operate (the original point and click) the don't jam (without a welding torch) more accurate and much less finicky about what you feed it.
Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

When Elmer Kieth (famous gun journalist ) was asked if a .22 was a good defense weapon he responded "Beats the hell out of your fingernails!" The two strengths of a .22 are ammo costs $.03 per round and ease of use . The minimal recoil and relativity mild report make this a very easy round to practice with. I have a more than a few calibers to choose from when I shoot but the venerable .22 gets the most use for just those reasons. Here in my relatively rural setting (to have a house here you it has to be on 5 acres) I have fired 10 of thousand of .22 with no complaints from my neighbors, including the my next door neighbor who is our police chief. As far as defense goes, with good shot placement a .22 will do, the lack of significant recoil makes a follow up shot much easier in indoor settings over penetration risk is greatly minimized (a round through a wall and into a unintended target)
A good choice in .22 is the good old Ruger Mk 2 there are lots of other choices but the Ruger is well known reasonably priced and reliable.
Personally I would stay away from a .25 the ammo is expensive with no significant improvement of the the .22
The 9mm is a good round with ammo costs reasonable $21 for a box of ball I think. Recoil is easily managed, the report is is significant so firing discreetly without can is difficult and this may limit casual plinking options. Meaning practice sessions may require a trip to the range rather than the back yard. The 9 has a fair record as a man stopper and its big selling point has always been magazine capacity in ban states you get 10 rounds. That's 4 more than the good old reliable .38 revolver ( a weapon with the same stopping power , much more reliable than a semi, generally more accurate and is far less finicky about ammo choice ) When my wife carries a 9 mm she loves her Walther P99 (but she usually has carries her S&W .38 air-weight) when I carry a 9mm is is an XD Sub Compact . Glocks are good and I have carried with good reliability a couple variations of the CZ 75 in 9mm.
I hope this helps, but I will mention yet again if you are going to buy a gun practice with it as often as you can, think about the things that will limit that practice. If it is likely that you practice time is going to be less than once a month , think seriously about a Double Action revolver. Incredibly easy to operate (the original point and click) the don't jam (without a welding torch) more accurate and much less finicky about what you feed it.
Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Walther p22 is a blast
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Get a hands on with any pistol you're interested in and put rounds through it. I could write page after page after page of what guns I like and recommend and why, and then give you a list of shit I'd love to pick up for various reason. Honestly, it'd mean nothing. Holding and shooting will give you a much better idea of how well a gun will work for you, especially when it counts. Some ergonomics are hit or miss (glock). Some may naturally point better and be easier for you to shoot accurately with less practice. How a gun handles recoil and how reliably it feeds could be the difference between just a rental and a definite purchase.You're going to have to hold them, and possibly shoot them.

That said, I carry a Glock 27. It works, it's accurate, but with the price of .40 and the slightly sharp recoil, I'm not sure I'd use it as a plinker in any sense of the word. When I'm not carrying the Glock, I have a S&W 637. It's easy to conceal and shoots pretty well. Nhgunnut touched on a favorite of mine. A CZ is an underrated, great shooting gun that can be had at a very nice price. I've got a CZ40B that is, without a doubt, my favorite pistol of the group. If it was a touch smaller, I'd conceal it. My father picked up a CZ75D Compact recently. It's a beautiful gun that I'd love to own. It's a gun that just fits incredibly well in my hand. Definitely check out a CZ. They're fantastic guns with a really nice trigger. My next gun will most likely be a CZ in 9mm.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

You should be able to get a cheap Ruger 22 for only $200

As for home defense, the whole "9mm isn't enough" is so stale. Not only do most burglars not even pack a gun, but if the homeowner defends themself do you really think the burglar is going to go "oh it's only a 9mm". The idea that someone is going to keep charging at you after being shot only applies to doped-out street attackers, not home invaders. Save money and get what is cheaper and more common --- 9mm. Why buy a gun that you're going to feel bad every time you plunk down money for ammo -- it's just going to get on your nerves, especially as a new gun owner.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote