Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Middle school student suspended for opening door

Score one more for zero tolerance.

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2011/02...-opening-door/

Quote:
COURTLAND—A Southampton Middle School student was suspended Thursday for opening an exterior door for a visitor.

“Students are not allowed to open the doors, and if anyone does, they will be suspended,” said Dr. Wayne K. Smith, executive director of administration and personnel.

A districtwide policy prohibiting students and staff from opening doors to the outside was recently adopted after a $10,800 security system was installed at the middle school, Southampton High School, Southampton Technical Career Center and Nottoway, Meherrin and Capron elementary schools. Riverdale Elementary had a similar system installed when it was built three years ago.

All of the schools’ doors are locked during the day. Visitors must ring a buzzer and look into a camera before office personnel can let them in.

Smith said everyone knew about the policy and its consequences. The middle school student was the first to be suspended for opening a door. Smith did not say how many days of suspension the unidentified student received.

According to an anonymous e-mail sent to The Tidewater News, the “A” student opened the door for a woman he knew, who had her hands full. The e-mail also indicated the student received a one-day, out-of-school suspension.

Smith said he could not confirm the story for confidentiality reasons. Superintendent Charles Turner said he did not know all the details behind the suspension.

Turner said the policy that prohibits anyone from opening doors was part of making the security system work.

“If it happens, it’s defeated,” he said. “You have to have a system, and that system has to be consistent. We have to stay within the rules and stay secure.”

Turner explained that part of the school district’s mission is to provide a quality education in a safe environment.

“We looked at what we’re doing in our schools for safety and looked at what others have done,” he said.

That’s why the security system was installed initially at the secondary schools and then the elementary schools.

“We notified parents a week in advance once it was installed,” Turner said. “It was so well received by our parents.”
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Turner said the policy that prohibits anyone from opening doors was part of making the security system work.

“If it happens, it’s defeated,” he said. “You have to have a system, and that system has to be consistent. We have to stay within the rules and stay secure.”
Can't really argue with that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there is a main entrance that visitors must go through and she didn't use it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

The place I used to work would hire "decoys" to try to convince people to let them in so Human Resources could fire those people. The decoys were usually nicely dressed and attractive women who had a story about forgetting their badge, and people would do something nice, let them in, and then get fired for it.

Funny thing was, when someone "bad" did actually want to get in they just threw a chair through the two GIANT glass doors and ran in.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Can't really argue with that.
Ditto.

While the kid did something nice, and now gets punished for it....rules are rules.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
.rules are rules.
That sounds suspiciously like "zero tolerance."
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
All of the schools’ doors are locked during the day. Visitors must ring a buzzer and look into a camera before office personnel can let them in.
Quote:
Smith said everyone knew about the policy and its consequences.
Quote:
“We notified parents a week in advance once it was installed"
Quote:
...the “A” student opened the door for a woman he knew, who had her hands full.
Quote:
the student received a one-day, out-of-school suspension.
Kid decided rules were not worth following and he got suspended for 1 day.

Meh...
Alarmist story is alarmingly alarmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

suck it up kid, that's life. as stated above, people lose jobs for this reason. it's just good training for his future.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
That sounds suspiciously like "zero tolerance."
When the sign says "use other door" I don't think there's a hidden sentence somewhere in there that says "unless you really don't WANT to, then of course it's OK to use this door"

When I was a kit I was told without any question. Don't touch my uncles rifle that was in the closet.

Of course I touched it when he wasn't home. Got it out, and aimed it. Loved messing with it.

When he checked the closet when he got home....of course the hair he wet and stuck to the barrel and wall wasn't there, so he knew I messed with it.

He wasn't very understanding. He didn't "give me a pass this time" because I felt bad.

He knocked my ass to the floor.

Can't say I subscribe to a great deal of "tolerance" to this day as a result of times like that.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Schools lock all the doors nowadays? Is this pretty standard?
My kid's school has security at all entrances, but to my knowledge the doors aren't locked.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I don't see the problem either. I assumed it was because he held it for a girl and that was taken as harassment. It wasn't.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote