Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default Guy had his ZX-6R stolen --craigslist "test" drive

One of the guys on the triple forum in the baltimore area had his '07 ZX-6R stolen after a guy responded to his craiglist ad. It's silver and had 267 miles on it. Police report filed but he just waiting for the insurance payoff now.

Here's some quotes from the thread including how another member handles test rides.

Met a guy who responded to my Craigslist ad for the ZX-6R I was looking to sell. After talking for a while he borrowed my helmet to take it for a spin around the parking lot. Guess what....he never came back. Had to sit there for an hour waiting on the cops to show up to file a report. Looks like my insurance will cover it but c'mon this is ridiculous.

Thanks guys. I thought about holding his license but he was just going around the lot, seemed silly. It's a silver 07 with 267 miles on it, helmet is my Arai with the dragon paint scheme. On the off chance anyone sees it I'll post some pics later today.

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine years back. This guy had a brand new Mustang and left us the keys. We figured we got his car right? Turns out the car was stolen and so now was his HD. Sucks, best of luck to you.

I had a 1982 Rm 250 --- selling in the want ad's , a guy called , said he would love to check out the bike , i gave him directions , and he never showed -- the next day the bike was stolen --
don't let people go to your house --

in god we trust -- all others pay cash

I had a friend that was apprehensive years ago, about letting people ride his bike during the sale. I came up with this,

If the buyer wants to ride the bike, he must bring cash money with him, the total cost of the bike. Before any test ride, the money is given to the seller to hold, with these conditions,

The buyer must leave his address and name with the seller. Buyer signs a waiver so as not to sue the seller if buyer is hurt/killed on test ride.

If the bike comes back damaged, the pink slip is signed and dated, and given to the buyer, along with the bike, seller keeps the entire funds. Buyer doesn't come back, seller mails him the signed and dated pink slip, keeps the funds.

Buyer comes back with bike intact and not damaged, and decides he doesn't want the bike, seller gives him back the funds and the buyer leaves.

My friend sold his GSXR1100 to the first buyer, after the test ride.

I had a friend whose Harley Sportster quit running. The battery was too low to start it, so he asked a passer-by for help push-starting it. The other guy agreed to ride the bike while my friend pushed it, and it started! The rider kept going. I don't know if they ever found it.

Thanks guys. Here's a brief update/response. For all who suggested precautions, yeah I almost asked to hold his license and keys but he was going around the lot, so he said, and after talking to him seemed like a decent enough person. Don't we all want to trust at least other motorcyclists? Definitely no test rides without cash in hand plus a license in the future. Very thankful I had insurance at least.

Haven't heard any more from the police. They were going to pull surveillance footage and look for the guy but basically said the bike is gone. No hope to recover. They actually think it will just be ridden and not parted out. As long as he doesn't get pulled over he's fine to ride on my tags until they expire next June. Working with the insurance company now. Since it's a theft they will not cover my helmet or gloves. Police have 30 days to recover the bike and then insurance will determine the value. Gonna be interesting to see what they say a 2007 ZX-6R with 267 miles is worth. Bike was in showroom condition too. Hopefully they realize it was basically a brand-new bike and value it accordingly. I'll keep everyone posted.

Still can't believe the balls on this guy. But let it be a lesson to everyone. Don't be so trusting.

'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

sucks that it happened but nobody rides a bike I'm selling without a crapload of precautions

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

Yeah, no test rides unless you have CASH in hand and I get to hold the cash while you ride. People suck, I act accordingly and prepare myself for the worst.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
sucks that it happened but nobody rides a bike I'm selling without a crapload of precautions
We all might as well learn from Pete's misfortune. Sounds like in addition to the cash & disclaimer, might as well make sure the driver license matches the reg of the vehicle they came in.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

People Fucking Suck
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Got to watch this stuff. Some insurance companies will give you grief over paying out, saying that you willingly gave the vehicle to the thief.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
We all might as well learn from Pete's misfortune. Sounds like in addition to the cash & disclaimer, might as well make sure the driver license matches the reg of the vehicle they came in.
unfortunately, people are big enough douche bags that it probably won't matter - if they want it bad enough, they'll find a way. Good that he at least had ins. on it.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Leon
WERA Yellow Plate

I've sold quite a few bikes and cars over the years mostly through craigslist.

I never let anyone come to my home. I'll meet you at a gas station or parking lot. No test drives unless I have all the cash. I always have someone with me and my trusty 9mm just in case. I never take anything except cash.

Never had any problems following those rules.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Evadd
formerly known as tdah

Moto: 06 R1, 01 600R

i'm surprised we don't hear about this more often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yeah, no test rides unless you have CASH in hand and I get to hold the cash while you ride.
same here. you want a test ride, no problem - you give me the entire asking price up front. you bring the bike back unscathed, you get it back. let them know that if they break it, they buy it , and it also protects you against the fools that drop it during the test ride. i remember a story where a guy said the test rider walked back and said it ran out of gas a couple blocks away. when the owner got there, it had been dropped, and of course the prospective buyer was nowhere to be found...
Evadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I've sold quite a few bikes and cars over the years mostly through craigslist.

I never let anyone come to my home. I'll meet you at a gas station or parking lot. No test drives unless I have all the cash. I always have someone with me and my trusty 9mm just in case. I never take anything except cash.

Never had any problems following those rules.
This is what I do. Nobody comes to my house. I'll go to theirs, or meet them somewhere public, but they sure as hell aren't going to know where I live.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote