Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default If you like dogs (or any animal for that matter), don't read this...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/01...s-comp/?hpt=T2

Quote:

An animal welfare group is investigating the execution of 100 healthy sled dogs in Vancouver, British Columbia, after tour business got slow following the Olympics, according to Canadian news reports.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is investigating the animal cruelty allegations after a Howling Dog Tours general manager filed a claim with the provincial workers' compensation board saying he suffered post-traumatic stress after slaughtering the dogs in a two-day cull.

The claim says the dogs were killed in front of each other, causing them to panic and attack the worker, The Vancouver Sun reported.

“By the end, he was covered in blood,” the review board wrote January 25, confirming the worker’s claim. “When he finished, he cleared up the mess, filled in the mass grave and tried to bury the memories as deeply as he could.”

Attorney Corey Steinberg told Vancouver radio station CNKW that his client either shot or slashed the throats of the canines.

“It wasn’t always a clean, one-shot kill,” Steinberg said. “Inevitably, (the employee) ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes.”

Marcy Moriarty of the British Columbia SPCA told the station she was most disturbed by the “description where he notes that one of the dogs he thought had been killed was crawling around in this mass grave. ... Honestly, I had to put down the story then.”

The employee, who was compensated for his claim and no longer manages Howling Dog, sought treatment for depression, panic attacks and nightmares five days after the killings, The Sun reported.

Steinberg told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. that his client tried to find adoptive homes for the animals, but when that failed, he and company executives agreed to euthanize the oldest and sickest dogs. The Sun, however, said the workers' compensation report claimed a veterinarian was contacted but refused to kill healthy animals.

“He just wanted the greatest happiness for the greatest number of dogs," Steinberg told CBC. "He had to choose: Do I keep 200 dogs and make their lives great, or do I stick here with the 300 that I have?”

Moriarty countered that “blowing off half of the dog’s head while it ran off” – as one of the executions was described in the worker’s compensation report – did not constitute euthanasia.

She further told The Sun she isn’t moved by the manager’s claim that he named the dogs and had “developed a strong emotional bond of mutual love.” She added, “I don’t feel sorry for this guy for one minute.”

“I’ve no doubt he has suffered post-traumatic stress, but there’s a thing called choice,” she said. “I absolutely would not have done this, and he could have said no.”

The Vancouver Olympics closed February 28, 2010, and Canadian Employment Law Today reported that the company decided to kill the dogs - reportedly a third of its kennels - when business dropped off.

Twitter users have homed their sights on Outdoor Adventures Whistler, which had a financial stake in the company but didn’t take operational control until May 2010, a month after the incident.

“#outdooradventures has the guts to shoot captive animals, do you?” read one.

Another said she “Is truly ashamed to live in Vancouver because of these dog slaughterings taken place in Whistler. I never want to go back there. Idiots.”

Outdoor Adventures, which also offers snowmobile, snowshoe and horseback excursion in Whistler, issued a statement saying it was aware of the “relocation and euthanization” of the Howling Dog animals but was “completely unaware of the details of the incident” before reading a report Sunday.

Spokesman Graham Aldcroft said in the statement that there are no longer firearms on the site, and in the future, sled dogs will be euthanized in a veterinarian’s office.

Tourism Whistler, which has marketed the company’s dog-sled tours for six years, told The Sun that it has suspended dog-sledding reservations for the company and is offering refunds to anyone who has booked a tour.

On Monday morning, Outdoor Adventures was still advertising dog-sled tours on its website, saying that its “lengthened tour means more time with the puppies.”
I bolded the section I feel applies. The guy could have just said no.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Not everyone thinks clearly when how they feed themselves is endangered. Looks like he tried to go about it the right way, just failed spectacularily.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Not everyone thinks clearly when how they feed themselves is endangered. Looks like he tried to go about it the right way, just failed spectacularily.
"looks like he tried to go about it the right way"

Anyway, yea, this guy was totally just doing his job. Its ok to do pretty much anything as long as someone who gives you money told you to.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

What a waste.
They could have slaughtered and sold the excess dogs off as meat.
sell over in Asia under the "Snow puppy penis invigorator" brand.
They love that shit over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
"looks like he tried to go about it the right way"

Anyway, yea, this guy was totally just doing his job. Its ok to do pretty much anything as long as someone who gives you money told you to.
I mean he tried to give away or have a vet take care of the dogs. He tried to go about it the right way in the beginning and then went into the spectacular fail.

He wasn't going out and murdering people. He was destroying animals. I know how some of you like to pretend your pets are people, but they are nothing more than cows or chickens. Ever think about how we treat them before we buy them in our grocery store freezer. No meat eater can ever claim shit about cruelty to animals being brutal when it is simply destroying an animal. It's clear he tried to take care of them quickly, but was just really ineffective in that process.

I've shot deer and had it die slowly, OMG, I am a cruel son of a bitch. Then I ate that mother fuckin deer and it was tasty. I'd kill a 100 of them too, mother fuckers are pests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 02-01-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I mean he tried to give away or have a vet take care of the dogs. He tried to go about it the right way in the beginning and then went into the spectacular fail.

He wasn't going out and murdering people. He was destroying animals. I know how some of you like to pretend your pets are people, but they are nothing more than cows or chickens. Ever think about how we treat them before we buy them in our grocery store freezer. No meat eater can ever claim shit about cruelty to animals being brutal when it is simply destroying an animal. It's clear he tried to take care of them quickly, but was just really ineffective in that process.

I've shot deer and had it die slowly, OMG, I am a cruel son of a bitch. Then I ate that mother fuckin deer and it was tasty. I'd kill a 100 of them too, mother fuckers are pests.
I don't own any cows or chickens.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I don't own any cows or chickens.
you eat them, that's endorsing the killing of them. Hell you are financing it.

These weren't "pets", they were work animals. No different than a four legged steak.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
you eat them, that's endorsing the killing of them. Hell you are financing it.

These weren't "pets", they were work animals. No different than a four legged steak.
Yea I'm sorry guys but I have to side with Trip, these dogs were no more than cows, chickens, pigs, etc. No one would say shit if a dairy decided to off 100 of it's cows and have a meat sale. You'd all line up for $4/lb rib eyes. These were not pets but quite franklly, if I decided to take my dog out to the woods and shoot it in the head, it would be no one else's business imho.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Never heard of a cow or chicken responsible for the safety of a human family. This debate represents such a different train of thought that its not even worth having though.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Never heard of a cow or chicken responsible for the safety of a human family. This debate represents such a different train of thought that its not even worth having though.
I'm sure you could train a tiger to do the same, but you don't think of them as "pets."

Dogs are quite honestly a meal source on this planet as well. It may be weird for you, but that's your problem. You probably love bacon, but a good percentage of this world won't go near that shit.

You are letting emotion cloud logic in this argument. You have an emotional attachment to a species.
Quote: